1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Motorcycle tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Informme, May 10, 2011.

1. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Rubber ones.......
  2. goliath

goliath New Member

direct harley parts. $25 rebate for Avon AM41 front tire. just ordered.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Hope you put a few miles on the new tires before you started hitting the corners hard. :)
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Now what fun would that be???:rolleyes:
  5. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I agree, put them on my FXDWG too, handling was excellent, especially the way it did not track on grooves like the Dunflops did,, better in wet too. Problem was next spring, looking them over and figuring on a few thousand more miles in them, when I noticed the rear had major cracks in the tread. Replaced with Metzlers, really liked them. The Geezer Glide has Dunflops on it which will need to go this summer sometime. Probably try the Metzlers on it too, since the Brazil things seem to be gone. If not, I'll go with Dunflop Elite's. My brother loves them on his, although the tread design doesn't look like much to me.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

fwiw........there is a mold release that is still on the tires when they leave the factory. it is slicker n' snail snot and will slip out from under you if not careful. i usually ride about 10 miles, swerving from white line to center line once in a while to rid the tires of the release.....
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya it will make think twice about fast corners if you don't take the little brake in time about 10 miles will do it
  8. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Everyone has their preferred brand for percieved reasons, and that's OK. New tires of ANY brand will out-perform what you just pulled off the wheels for awhile.

Tire mfrs. have a tough time coming up with the right balance of softer rubber for good traction, and harder rubber for long mileage. Riders who want more mileage for their money can't go wrong with the O.E. Dunlops. But that hard rubber sometimes translates to a hard ride too.

Almost all new Harleys come with bias-ply tires. They are less expensive and carry a heavier load rating than radials. If you want a softer ride and better handling on curvey roads, radials are the way to go. Just be mindful of the lower load rating they have.

I use a Michelin Commander on the rear and a Dunlop D205 radial on the front.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Still....what fun would that be????:rolleyes:
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I guess nothing if you call road rash fun :eek:
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:eek: Mixing tire brands front and rear can have their own issues, especially if the tread pattern is different :)
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I would have preferred to have the same tires on both wheels, but Michelin doesn't have the size I want for my front. I swapped the 16" front wheel for a 2009 17" wheel, but since H-D used that 17" front wheel for only 1 year--not many choices for tires in that size.

07 and later Fatboys have 17" wheels with radial tires, but only Dunlop makes them in this size: 145/75/17 radial D205.

Anyway, it rides and handles good, and don't feel any problems.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Depending on the method on how they use the mold release (frequency) the mold release will not be on the tire as mold release almost completely wears off the mold with in two cycles. The place where I work also molds rubber o-rings amongst other rubber parts and we use a variety of mold releases.
  14. NYHarleyDavidson

NYHarleyDavidson New Member

Good to know....Useful information....thanks..