1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My first Evo

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cowboy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Worked on the bags tonight dye , mink oil before & after pics ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313211866.338499.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313211891.287830.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313211918.786535.jpg the last pic is the same bag in first pic
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Nice job! You don't see those bags everyday.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao:I figured a Cowboy would go with the saddle soap first...;) They are a nice set of bags:D
  4. cowboy

I was out of the saddle soap had the mink oil , it's so hot here I try to work at night in the shop but last night I used the dinner table just covered it to do the bags
  5. parker

parker New Member

very nice!:)
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nice bags.......i got a set of those sittin over my paint booth.....ought to do the same to them.............
  7. cowboy

Ya it's not that hard lol just stuff them & soak in deep sink let dry over night & dye & saddle soap or something along those lines :)
  8. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Congrats cowboy enjoy brother! im sure you guys will have a great time riding together.
  9. cowboy

Thanks bpaul I have put almost 500 on her runs great , I skipped the evo generation , & now wish I hadn't
    , might dump the TC & pick up another Evo
  10. cowboy

Well I got the evo cleaned up & bags back on took it for about A 50 mile ride today , the new mufflers have to go sounds like a g wing can't here it run , I 'll out the old mufflers back on & find some baffles for them
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

what size are the mufflers, I have a set of Big City Thunder baffles, but they are loud, also have a set of V&H baffles loud also.
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Cowboy the bags look really good, how bout a pic of the whole bike with the bags on her now. :)

I use Doc's on my boots and saddle soap & mink oil on my Springer bags.
  13. cowboy

Harleylsr there 2,1/4 I d . Flht I'll get a pic today
  14. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

His will be too small. I would call BCT because they do have a baffle that will fit in those pipes.
  15. cowboy

I a set of BCB 's in my E Glide I can pull one out & go to the local auto muff shop & have them make a set to fit :)
  16. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I suppose, just get a pipe stretcher. Wait, that is what I would have to do, 2.25" is a little more common. :banghead:
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

FYI I looked at doing the water thing to the leather and did some research, talked with the folks at the Tack shop and all agreed that it's not a good idea to soak leather in water.

It expands the fibers and over time they will begin to separate and crack.

Putting the mink oil on was a good idea, but you should never soak leather in water.
    washing is fine to do.

If you have a set of old leather chaps, seat, bags, jacket, vest, boots or favorite thong you should first clean it with a good leather cleaner designed for leather,

It should penetrate, remove dirt and grime and to add nutrients to the leather. Remember it's not a synthetic material it's a natural material.

There are several products out there, I like Leather New, it works, try it on those old bags in the shop, clean them with a good clean soft cloth and the leather new, if they have had doc baileys (I know you guys like it, but JMO it's just a dye that colors your leather up ever wonder why your fingers are black like coal when you use it?) and I don't use it anymore. Nothing against it, but after cleaning the bags with proper leather
    care materials and seeing all the black dye it took out of the bags and how good they looked after I won't go back..

The bags look good, I'd stay on top of them and keep them coated
    in a mink oil. Also sunlight is a black leather (all leathers really) killer
    or you'll have grey bags not black. That's why docB's stuff is used
    a lot because people don't care for the leather to begin with and
    sunlight is very damaging to things.

Living in FL we know how hard it is on paint, floors (sunlight fades wood fast)
    cloth, leather etc...

Here is a link to the Leather New, they are a big horse industry supplier

Farnam - Your partner in horse care

I use the Glycerine Soap to clean, and the Balsam to protect as it keeps moisture in and blocks rain out.
  18. cowboy

Thanks for the info HRK good to know , I ' ve done it for Years & never had any trouble with it , heres a couple pics of the bike different bars , seat ,
    & bags redone ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313435281.208697.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313435309.444685.jpg
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Good looking bike there Cowboy