1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

N72 needle vs velocity needle

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by cobra2411, Apr 10, 2012.

1. cobra2411

cobra2411 New Member

Ok, was having issues with my bike being lean. Took the carb off and found a 45 pilot, N72S needle and 170 main. The idle mixture was 3-3/4 turns out.

I got the deluxe kit and am installing the 46 pilot to start, velocity needle, CVP emulsion tube, spring and 180 main. I'm just hesitant to make such a big jump.

The only issue that I had with the bike was some detonation when it was really hot out and after a long coast when slowly rolling back on the gas it would fart out the carb. Since the mixture plug was already out I just gave it 1/8 turn and it seemed to like it.

Stock needle would be an N82 right? That's the needle out of a TC isn't it? Do you know how much difference it is between the velocity and/or the N65?

Also, I'm planning on installing an Andrews EV-27 cam. How much do you think I'll have to change jetting if any? I want to order some jets so I'm prepared. Just a 48 pilot and 190 main? Or should I get a few more?

Thanks,
    David
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

3. cobra2411

cobra2411 New Member

Bike is a 99 Softail with the EVO. Stage 1 filter (Ness Big Sucker) and Python Staggered duals.

N86 is what I was thinking. I was told the N72s was out of a TC bike.

The 180 main seems good now. Also I'm 1-3/4 turns out on the mixture screw so the 46 pilot seems good too.

It's a little soggy down low however but someone else suggested it was the stock cam. It doesn't cough or fart nor does it seem to have black smoke but if you go WOT it just feels soggy compared to using less throttle. 3k rpms + it's fine.

Thanks for the link to the chart.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If using the CVP tuners kit I recommend using the supplied CVP needle. The other needles mentioned were designed for specific factory applications and almost always are on the lean side.

Regarding the "soggy" feeling you described, at WOT the needle is no longer being used and the carburetor is relying completely on the main jet. You may want to move up to the #185 main jet supplied in your kit. Everything else (46 pilot, mixture, and CVP needle) should be fine. The N65C needle you asked about would only be needed if you were too fat in the middle. I would stick with the supplied needle.
  5. cobra2411

cobra2411 New Member

I'm using the CVP needle. The bike had a 170 main in it before and I was hesitant to make such a big jump at first. So is the CVP needle richer than the N65C?

Do you think the 185 main will be ok with the EV-27 cam?