1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

NC New Helmet Law

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by 99 Softail Custom, Oct 4, 2007.

1. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Hey FLHT, all this talk about helmets and such, I never did find out what kind of helmet that woman was wearing. I have 2, the full face and the non DOT skid lid. Gotta admit, I like the skid lid for the wind, (and wear it most of the time) but it does worry me sometimes if I ever went down.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

She wears a 3/4 Harley helmet most of the time and sometimes a Harley 1/2 helmet. She had on the 3/4 helmet when she went down.
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Interesting, I wonder if the half helmet would've done the same job. Either way, I'm glad she's still here. Hopefully she'll get better quick. Thanks for the info. please post on her recovery as you find out, we're pulling for her.
  4. FLHTbiker

I talked to our Chapter director today and enquired about her sense his wife had just visited her. She is still in a wheel chair and her leg and arms are still in casts. The steel rods that were inserted through her wrists were removed and she said that it was very painful when they removed them. She will be in for a long term recovery.
  5. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Man FLHT, that really sucks. I hope she gets some $$ out of it to help her through all of this, cause I'm sure her bills are piling up big time. I have a friend or two that got hurt and ended up losing their houses because of it, so I hope she can recover without that worry as well. At least she's still here, and she can recover....the alternative is worse. Wish her well for me....
  6. FLHTbiker

I was told that she has commented that somebody is going to pay. Its really doubtful that she will be able to return to her full duties as a County Sheriff. The bad thing is the year before she was injured while on duty, she was beaten up by some guy while trying to arrest him. She spent almost a 1/2 year recovering from those shoulder injuries she received. Just last July she was attacked while on duty by a young guy with two knives and was forced to shoot him. She said that there was no time to even get her dog out of the car. Don't know why she didn't use the stun gun either. So then she was on paid leave for that but cleared within the week and then went on her trip to Sturgis when she had that horrific accident on her bike. I think if I was her and I could get a good settlement and retire I would do it.
  7. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Damn, based on that she must be one tough woman. Hopefully she'll pull through and like you said, pack it in and relax, find a desk job or something a little safer. Sounds like she deserves a little break, huh.
  8. FLHTbiker

Knowing her she will have a real hard time at a desk. She is a tough women alright. I remember one time she got a black eye and we all thought that some guy punched her. She explained that her Bow flex machine broke on one of her more aggressive workouts.
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That's great she's so tough, it probably helped her survive the crash. Let's just hope now she gets better so she can ride/live/work and enjoy life again. (crossing fingers)
  10. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Helmet Laws

I Would Agree With Almost Everyone About Helmet Laws And The Freedom Of Choice. I Also Know The Good Sense It Makes To Wear Your Seatbelt And Head Gear That Will Protect That Void Between Your Ears Whether Someone Is Telling You To Or Not. I Have Known Of Accidents With Autos/mc Where The Outcome Was A Hell Of A Lot Better Than It Was Because The Dumb Ass Wasn't Wearing A Seatbelt Or A Biker Helmet.everyone Has Choices In Life But With That Choice There Are Always The Negative And The Positive Consequences. I Choose To Make The Choice That Makes The Most Sense To Me. I Really Love My Head As Well As Most Of The Rest Of Me And I Have No Intention Of Making It Easier To Damage My Anatomy,so Law Or No Law I And Anyone Riding With Me,wear Their Seatbelts And If Necessary,their Helmets. I Do Firmly Believe It Should Be An Adults' Choice As Such As It Would Be That They Accept The Responsibily, Possible Dire Consequences, And The Accountability That Is Only Theirs. Ride Safe;ride Smart!!
  11. FLHTbiker

I told everyone about the women rider that went down last year heading to Sturgis. I've talked to her recently and even after a year and more surgery's than I can count she is walking, but with a cane at first and I believe she doesn't need the cane anymore. Don't know if she will ever be able to ride a two wheeler or even a Trike again due to all the muscle loss in arms and legs. I understand she had a short sleeve T-shirt on when she went down and was wearing only blue jeans for leg protection. She told me that the only reason she is hear today is her helmet. Was told that her body did cart wheels down the freeway in Wyoming and after looking at her helmet that she saved, well had she not been wearing one there would be nothing left of her head. Simply put the medical people that attended to her said she would be dead so I'm glad she stopped that day and put it back on.

She looked really thin and frail in the beginning but is now looking much better and still has a long recovery process ahead of her. All of us in the HOG chapter were really happy to see her at a HOG meeting recently, one thing though her spirits are still up and she is tough.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  12. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Not Ride

This Is A Woman Who Has Survied Everything Thrown At Her And Has Returned To Continue To Live Her Life. The Point Made Here Is She Was Wearing A Helmet Or There Would Be No Recovery.if She Can't Ride A Two Or Three Wheeler Any Longer,there Be No Shame In Being A Great Passenger. It Would Be Better To Have Everyone Not Willing To Involuntarily Wear A Seatbelt/helmet To Sign A Release Form Upon Receiving A Liscense. If They Choose Not To Wear Either Then They Pay Much Higher Insurance Premiums With Higher Deuctibles And Full Responsibility For Their Choice. If A Seatbelt/helmet Is Not Worn And They Are In An Accident Sustaining Injuries That They Would Not Have Recieved If They Had Been In Compliance,then A Fine Is Appropriate If The Responsible Person Is Alive To Be Fined. The Helmet Laws Are An Attempt To Minimize Damage To The Human Body,particularly That Organ That Operates Everything Else In Our Bodies And Not An Invasion Of Any Kind. You Still Have Freedom Of Choice,just Make A Reasonable One,
  13. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I had a comment typed up but deleted it as the comments you are making are very anti-motorcycle/pro insurance, kind of dictatorship like, to me although i wear a lid, for the most part, and leathers, I would never advocate for the leashing of the free, and that is what a lid and seat belt do suppress our freedoms now is it wise or not to slide your scalp on the black top it sure doesn't seem benifical, but you know what it means, the person that did slide his scalp down the interstate had the FREEDOM to chose and my friend that is american. and we already abide by to many suppresive laws, from guns control, to abortion, and helmet laws in a lot of states, open container fines for having a beer in your front yard, now if your concerned that this freedom action is whats causing the grand rise in health care I would suggest you direct you attention to the illegal emigrant and welfare problem and you will probably find that greater problem
    oops guess i retyped it anyway:eek:
  14. FLHTbiker

FRXMAS, I think its up to each individual whether you wear a Helmet or not. Here in Oregon we have to as its law thanks to our last Gov. who was also a Med. Doctor. I rode around Sturgis without one even knowing she had gone down but it was my choice. Got my head sunburned on top, pretty bad when you got to remember to put the sun screen on the old bald top part.

As for her riding on the back as a passenger, she is single and lives by herself.
  15. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Lack Of Comprehensive Reading

I've Ridden For More Than Thirty Years And I Have Had Motorcycle Accidents. I Rode With A Helmet And Without A Helmet. The More Serious Accidents/falls I Was Very Lucky And Very Thankful I Had A Helmet On.my Statement Had Nothing To Do With Politics Or Even Money. I Stated It Was Definitely A Choice To Obey Any Laws Or To Disobey Them If You Trully Believe You Were Right To Make That Choice Also. This Is A Personal Opinion From Extensive Experience. As For The Woman Being A Rider,passenger,single,married,or Anything Else,it Wasn't Even Info That I Needed. My Remarks Were My Own And Not Intended To Rattle Any Cages. Either There Are Some Of You Who Do Not Read The Entire Post Or You Can't Understand English. Now That I Think Of It, I Really Don't Give A Damn About People That Find It Necessary To Jump To False Conclusion And Then Believe They Are In Any Way Superior In Some Way To Everyone Of Us Average Acheivers.
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

LET THOSE THAT RIDE DECIDE!!!
  17. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

dang that was high volume:roflmao:
    and i did read the whole damn post :D
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I am along the those who ride decide lines, and mostly ride without, unless I"m in a state that requires it.

Had a friend go down last night, he's ok lot of road rash (tshirt and jeans) wife is fine just scraped elbow.

Seems the rear tire blew out on a back road, he had on his helmet, and it's banged up, was unconsious and doesnt' remember most of the wreck, mild concussion, so it seems the helmet helped him and his wife as her head hit as well just not as hard.

Does make you think about it...
  19. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

High Volume

Loud Pipes Save Lives,if You Wear Your Helmet!
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Carl posted a pic, arms, chest and face scratched up, funny I told him I didnt' notice anything different about his face... got the FU return comment so he's good.

Was out for two minutes or so, he had on a half helmet, so if you're thinking about a helmet you can consider what a full face would do for you, if you're thinking about attracting the opposite or hell same sex depending on your druthers...

Anyway makes you reconsider flip flops, shorts and tank tops without helmets as a riding apparel...