1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need advice on new bike purchase

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by freerider8, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Cracker's bike - or a Dyna like it - is a great one to get for less than most H-Ds, mod and keep modding forever. You can do more with then (IMO) than any other H-D.
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

To piggyback on a couple thoughts..... not only is N.A.D.A. and Kelley blue book good to look at, if you are financing, then look at NADA......THAT is the book that the bank will look at for finance. Kelley blue book is ok, but banks won't use it.

The E Glide Standard is a GREAT bike, and reasonable.....not sure what the used market for them is, only homework will tell you. MY bike is a standard and I use it for a commute bike, putting on a saturday/sunday, and I rode 4300 miles in 9 days roundtrip to Sturgis from San Antonio last August.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i also am impressed with the standard....i have an 06 with 35k on the clock....but i dont commute with it....i walk to work!!!!!!!:)
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on making a move to HD,

There are a lot of great deals out there on used HD's just keep that in mind

JMO the line of HD with the best and most aftermarket and HD accessories is the Softail line, lots of stuff to buy and install.

Baggers are great but have higher inseam requirements, you can put on shorter shocks and a seat that cuts the height requirement.

However for someone at your height the dyna low rider or softail line is probably best.

I think the best "non bagger" tourer in that group the Heritage Classic fits the bill, detachable windshield and bags that can be detached or made quickly detachable.

Low seat height, tons of handlebar selections, easy to get to everything. The 96 inch Balanced or B motor purrs.

Plus everyone and their brother is getting on a bagger, so why be like them unless you need a radio, lighter, refrig, microwave and butt massager LOL
  5. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

When I decided to get back into riding I shopped around looked at metric and Harley. I decided on Harley I had a budget and stuck to it I bought used from a private party that is where I found the best deals As far as sporster or bigger I am to big for long rides on a sporster so I went down the dyna and softtail road I dont know your area but yu can get a low mileage harley dyna or softail here in my area for 10-13 thousand If thats busts your budget and you cant wait there are some fine metric products out there. What ever you decide take a rider safety course (it will help with your insurance ) and enjoy the road, long trips, short hops or to the store and back Let us know what you get
  6. prroadking

prroadking New Member

if you are doing long rides i highly recommend a roadking. you could ride for hours. a sportster is rough after a while. remember its cheaper to do it right than twice.:) :)
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

while were talking about low bikes.....the deluxe comes to mind, and it has all the detachable stuff also.......:)
  8. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Many HD dealers lease bikes to the local cop shop. These are usually Road Kings or FLH's. In some locations they get turned in yearly for new ones. I bought a 1 year old Road King from Thunder Mountain, (then located in Ft. Collins, Co.) with 2020 miles on it and serviced by the dealer for 14,600 out the door. I got them to throw in a service manuel, a t-shirt and a 20% discount on accessories good for 30 days. I didnt go in there planning to buy a bike as I already had two, but it was such a sweet deal I just couldn't pass it up. Usually they will have half a dozen or so to choose from and it you mosey back to the service dept and talk to the wrenches who do the service work they might tell you which one they would buy if it was their money. AL
  9. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I Have A 04 Dyna Low Rider I Will Sell You, Its A Great Handling Bike For Riding 1 Or 2 Up, Short Or Long Rides. Most Of The 11,000 Miles Are Riding 2 Up, 150 To 400 Miles In A Day. Has Lots Of Extras Added.

Dkin21

Live Easy, Ride Hard
  10. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

what kind of price are you looking to get out of it?
  11. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

if yer just commuting daily and can rag tag tie your stuff on a dyna, sportster class would work, you can pick up a good sporty, 883 for around 4000, and a dyna depending on the type for ruffly 9000+, there can be better deals out there, and if you want to pull a couple of milage trips along with a daily commuter then the heritage comes to mind, if you do alot of long shot travel and carrying about a week of changes, the bagger line is probably where you should go.JMO
  12. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I'M ASKING 8,500.00

DKIN21
  13. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

DK, That's an awesome price fer yer bike... Man I wish I had the moola... Tax man hit me today... Owe 2000.00 beaners... Man its a tough one...:(
  14. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

anyone reading this I now have a new bike so you dont have to respond

I bought a yamaha warrior 2002
  15. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

With the high price of gasoline, buying somthing that runs good on saki makes sense:roflmao:

(Congrats on your new bike. Enjoy it and be careful out there)!:D
  16. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

New Bike

Now You Have Something You Can Trade In Later On For A Harley.santa Claus Knows!