1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need input

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 4, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

LOL
    Yeah it's been a work in progress.

Point being the Deluxe is cool but it's a prettied up fatboy, dump the solid rims
    drop on a little more flashy paint and volia new line..

But it's still a softail, same frame, engine, trans, etc.

Heritage gives you a detachable windshield, and full leather bags in the deal, those bags will set you back over a grand to put on a deluxe for touring.

So go Heritage, and make the stuff removable.. Less money, more utility...
  3. JohnnyBiker

I found a really nice Heritage at my Home dealer yesterday. I went in there to pick up some new parts to pretty up my ride, (had the wife with, ended up dropping over 300 buks on a pair of boots and a mini skirt ) :witsend: And yes they were for her!:roflmao: Anyways it was an 09 with 5k, highway pegs, a little of extra chrome only for 17k. I have been thinking about this ride.
  4. hotroadking

BTW any of those bikes would be good to have for a lot of different reasons..

Pictures work best with these threads you know LOL
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Mini skirt on a Harley, cool now that would make for a nice picture :cool:, just funning. The Heritage is a really good way to go and like hotroadking said those accessories that come on one stock is worth a lot especially if you buy a bike without them and then go to add em on.
  6. JohnnyBiker

You mean to tell me you don't know what a stock Heritage looks like? :roflmao::D
  7. JohnnyBiker

Last night I took my buddies 06' Heritage out for a ride. I will have to say that the bike did not disappoint except for one area. I was disappointed on the acceleration until mid 3rd gear. I understand that it is stock compression, but that was whimmpy. :banghead:

Now I need to take that 09' for a ride, which has a 6 speed, and is also a 96 cubic inch in order to compare. I still need to take a Deluxe and a X-Bones out.
  8. hotroadking

Nope been a long time 10 years since it was stock..LOL ;)
  9. JohnnyBiker

Can I just copy paste a link?
  10. JohnnyBiker

11. JohnnyBiker

12. JohnnyBiker

13. hotroadking

Cross bones is uber kool!

If I was gonna get another HD I'd probably do that or a XR1200X
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a big fan of the flat colors, looks like they have primmer paint but not painted and have heard they are harder to keep clean and looking good. You want a really cool Springer look for a used Heritage Springer Classic 2000-2004 year.
    For new the Heritage softail classic is the best bang for the buck.
  15. JohnnyBiker

I am not the biggest fan of flat colors either, but there are some color options that come with the Cross Bones. I can get it in the Silver Pewter, Denim Black, Vivid Black and a Blue Sunglo. My wife really likes the Cross Bones.

After listening to everyone, I am starting to lean towards the Heritage, but I won't have my mind made up until I am able to take a Cross Bones and a Deluxe out for a spin.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Ok, at one point I was considering buying a touring bike, but I have had several salesman tell me that I am too small for one of them, so I have staying away from them. Today, I went to a dealership and of course I am looking at bikes. The salesman asked what I was looking for and I told him that at this point I am looking to ride either an X-Bones or a Deluxe. They had neither. I started looking around more and I happened to mention that at one point I was considering a touring bike, but told that I was too small.

Now, between the Road King Classic, and the Street Glide, which one is the better overall value straight out of the box? I am interested in ride and handling at this point and do not care about the radio.

I am looking forward to the discussion.
  17. hotroadking

Both are the same frame, same geometry, same shocks,

it's like comparing a heritage to a fatboy, basically the same

It comes down to taste do you like to ride without a faring
    and radio? Want to take off the windshield and be "in the wind?"

then Road king

If you want to go full on to a bagger- Street glide is hard to beat
    and if you are inseam challenged, the street glide is already lowered
    with shorter shocks lower seat etc...

The lowest seat heights in the line are Softails now that the low rider is gone..
  18. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The Road King is my choice because it is basically a convertible. I can pop the windshield off and catch bugs & dust whenever I like (its been off for a month now), then put it on when I need to cover long distances at a good speed. I also don't need the radio, though the folks that see me singing and screaming at m'self as I crrrruise on done the highways may disagree!

Like just about all riders, I've wrecked before and am prepared to do so again (sometimes dumping it is better than trying to ride it out), and that is another reason the King works for me. I know I'd hate to see that fairing shattered all over the place. So I just keep it simple.

Oh, and if I did want a radio set-up, there are plenty of options out there:
    Motorcycle Fairings from Dragonfly Cycle Concepts - Harley Davidson Road King, Fat Boy, Heritage Softwail, Kawasaki Nomad, Indian Chief, Kawasaki Vulcan Classic, and accessories for your bike
    That is just one example.

Get the one that makes you happiest - it'll be wonderful whatever you decide.
    :cheers:
  19. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

How small do you have to be? for a touring bike - I weight in at a 130 5'9" and have no problem riding my 1000# Electra Glide all over the country. Only time I have a problem is backing up on a hill to get out of a parking spot - but then that what ole ladies are for. Or get one and have a reverse gear installed - when ya get to old to hold it up add a sidecar and yer good to go for old age.:roflmao:
  20. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

P.S. - I'm a towering 5 foot 7 inches, with a hulking 185lbs of mostly scarred (not scared!) fat. I do have my King lowered, but that was after riding it for 5+ years at the stock height. The right handlebars and good boots can make many a bike fit many a rider - just not BMWs (long story).