1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need input

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

P.P.S. - sarge7 - 130lbs at 5'9"? Ya trying to be a supermodel or something? :roflmao: You need to go chow down with chucktx and cardboard!

My brother is like that. So maybe my envy is showing - no offense meant!
    :cheers:
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Just got one question for you.
    Harley Davidson offers something called Demo Days..............

This is something HD does to help you become familar with their bikes before you buy one.

Have you ever taken time to show up early in the mornin and ride all the bikes.
    You can ride the same bike more than once.

You'd be supprised at what you think you like and find out you don't like it.
    And what you didn't like you become supprised at how much you did like it.

I'd check a Demo ride out before I bought a bike.
    You can sign up at various dealerships online to find out when they will have one.
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey there Red. Thank You for getting that link. The only issues that I have with this is that I would have to get it matched to the paint of the bike and pay the extra money. So really, I would be spending the same amount if not more than what I would for the Street Glide. The fairing does not look bad on the RK I must say.
  4. JohnnyBiker

I have heard of the demo rides but they are usually on the weekends and I have work every weekend. I have ridden a couple different bikes, but have stayed away from the touring because of my inseam. As far as the touring bikes go, it would ONLY be a Road King or a Street Glide. The others have just too much crap on it for me. Thanks for the heads up though.
  5. Red Rider

JB - You're right if you always want the fairing on there. I like the detachable concepts (of which Dragonfly is one of the most expensive) better, as the ride is more custom that way, but I haven't plunked down the cash - so what do I know?

Have you tested a Glide yet? The fixed-fairing doesn't take too long to get used to, but it sure is funky at first. A friend of mine has one (he loves it) and he kept dumping it (just on the engine guards, no real damage) for the first few days he had it because of the different sensation from turning and not seeing the turn occur. All these drops were while parked - and it was a hoot to laugh at him about - but like I said, he's good with it now.
  6. cardboard

Chrome is like 5'4" if that. She rides a deluxe.
    Chome does the ride to the wall every year.
    When Chrome came back this year she said she sat on I think it was a 09 Electra Glide she could touch the ground on. I've been askin her if she could git in touch with the guy and see what he had done to his bike.

Also have a buddy in Louisiana that's about 5'6" that had a 2010 Electra Glide lowered and its the bike of his choice.

I would do more homework. Don't make a decesion yet. If you want a bagger just hold on.

And if you go to the right dealer, they will take a bike they have and bring it out and let you ride it during the week.
    I know the salesman at my dealership will pull a bike off the floor and put it outside for me to test ride anytime I want.:D
  7. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I am in no hurry to get this ride yet. It will be early after the new year, but things here start getting colder here in September so I would like to have this wrapped up by then. Which I am sure I will. Some of my issues with the touring bike or any new bike for that matter is that I will have to go through the expense of having to get it the way that I want it. I think that I may have to look at the used side of things.

I am 5"6 and weigh a buck 50. I am sure that I will be able to handle that bike.
  8. Red Rider

JB - You could handle any size Harley you wanted to. Ya just got to want to. So get what you want.
    :cheers:
  9. JohnnyBiker

Thanks Red, I just get this way when I am looking at making a big purchase. I just emailed a salesman at my home dealership looking for some direction from there. I will buy what I want but of course there are things that I have to consider, and there really are not a lot people that I will listen to. Almost everyone here I trust.

Cardboard, I also inquired about those demo days that you were talking about. since this is my home dealership, plus an MVP member, I should be able to set that up anytime actually. Just a little less formal. Thank You for the hint.:cool:
  10. JohnnyBiker

Thanks again for pointing out the demo rides. I just did not think of that. I talked to a salesman at my home dealer and he had said that I can set it up for anytime. I was really surprised that I will be able to take the bikes out for about a half hour at a time. :cool: I guess they have certain bikes set up for demoing? Anyways, thanks again.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Yesterday I was at my HD dealer and did some demo rides. Besides the massive sunburn that I got on my arms, I had an awesome day.

the two bikes that I demoed were the 2010 Street Bob, and the 2010 Deluxe. Well I really cannot compare the 2 other than that there were things that I liked and disliked each in their stock configuration.

What I liked about the Dyna was that they bike was small, easy to maneuver and that it had a set of apes on it, which made it easy to maneuver, I thought anyway.

The things that I did not like were that I did not like how the rear brake responded. I had to depress the brake about an inch before it would start working, didn't care for that, and yes that should be easy to adjust. Believe it or not, I did not like the 6 speed transmission on the bike. I just thought that it was too much shifting. I could ride it in 5th and be happy with the power. Another thing that I did not care for was on the tank with the plastic piece surrounding the speedo and then extending down to the seat. Kind of cheep looking.

Now for the Deluxe. The things that I like very much about the bike is how low that it sat to the ground. Since my inseam is shorter, this is huge. Won't have to spend anymore on lowering the bike, just like the dyna. I also liked the seat that is stock on the bike. It has a butt stop on it that kind of forces me to sit a little more upright and closer to the bars. I liked the floorboards and the heel toe shifter. Power was good and for the stock exhaust, it sounded better than the dyna's.

For the things that I did not like on the bike. again, I do not like the 6 speed tranny, too much shifting. For me this 6 speed should be used for long haul driving about speeds of 65 mph. I also did not like the beach bars that are stock. Because this seat forces you to sit forward and a little more upright, when I went to make a u turn, my elbow wanted to hit me in the side of ribs.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I guess I really don't like the placement of where the turn signal indicators are either. I just do not like to have to look down at the tank to unsure that my signal is on. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.
  13. cardboard

I was talkin about Demo's where HD comes out with a tractor trailer to the dealershio and you use their gas and their insurance , and ride all the different bikes that they have.

Not a dealer setup demo ride.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Johnny,

Go ride a heritage.

The Softail you rode just confirmed it's a good fit for you, and JMO as I have one
    the Heritage is the best bang for the buck bike in HD's line.

You can remove the detachable (without tools) windshield in a few seconds, and remove the bags with the stock mounts in a few minutes, then you have your stripped down bar hopper, and it comes with short Apes,

If you want you can replace the stock HD bag hard ware with bubba's brakes detachable kit which makes bag removal quick, and no tools needed. Cleaner look.

Pop on the windshield, the bags, a backrest with luggage rack and a T-Bag and you have a full boat cruiser, sans tunes...

JMO the Deluxe is good looking but the Heritage is the better buy and the 2011's have ABS.

Also with everyone buying baggers you should be able to swing a good deal on an
    end of year 2010.

As for the 6 speed, it comes with it, so just don't shift into 6th...
  15. JohnnyBiker

I have been on a Heritage but not one that has had the frame redone. I cannot argue that the Heritage is a nice bike and is the best deal because of what the bike comes with, but there is just something that I like more about the Deluxe than the Heritage. i cannot put my finger on it but it is just kind of hard to shake it.

When they have an 11 on the floor, ready to go, I will test ride it and see what I think, but yeah as of now, I want the Deluxe, but I have not driven the Street Glide yet either.
  16. cardboard

This is another reason I was suggestin a HD factory demo.
    Git on the computer and sign up at the dealerships so when it comes they will email you.
    What you think you might like,because of the way it looks and what you like, but after you ride it you might change yer mind.

And what you didn't think you would like , it might just grow on it.

Its the greatest thing that HD does so you can try all the bikes to make a executive decesion so you can find the bike that is to yer likes the best.
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The paint and exhaust is what makes the deluxe stand out JMO, two tones with contrasting colors make the bike pop...
  18. cardboard

Ain't the deluxe a Girl's Bike
  19. JohnnyBiker

Those are sweet bikes is what they are. Yes I agree with you that those demos that HD dealers are beneficial. I am not sure I want a touring anymore, because they are heavier and harder to maneuver at slow speeds. When I was demoing the dyna and the Deluxe, I was doing figure 8's with them to see how they handle at the slower speeds. I was impressed with both. Why buy something that I know that I am not going to be happy with???
  20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Short legged guys love em, they are actually a pretty cool looking bike. I know several ladies who ride an Ultra Classic and handle em pretty darn well.