1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 29, 2011.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Paugho is top notch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

look up maxium motors , they sell wrecked harleys at some good prices most damage is to the tins ,& videos on most of there bikes, also most are evos & TC all different models , there in jackson georgia
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

As far a paughco or twisted choppers it depends on what you want the frame to look like. They offer different stlye and looks. I would go with Paughco myself.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I looked at Paughco's web site but I do not remember seeing drop seat set ups. That is the style that I like. :D:cool:

OKay I know what TommyC will say, then what about the engine. Shovel vs. Evo, vs Pan vs Twin Cam. Which is more preferable or the favorite? Take everything into account, expense to work on due to part availability, ease of modification etc.?
  5. cowboy

EVO & Tc are the newest so more parts are out there & easyer to to find unless you go with S&S pan or shovle
  6. JohnnyBiker

I haven't looked that closely to the newer style pans or shovels, do they have an upgraded exhaust mounting system on them or are they duplicated to old style?
  7. cowboy

Not sure on that , you'll have to check them out
  8. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

They have 1 bolt hole exhaust pipe mounts. They pipe goes past the mounting surface an into the head about 3/4" of an inch. There's nothing wrong with that design. You can put a stud into the head and that way the pipe can be taken off as many times as you wish with just a removal of a nut. No worries. Are you concerned with it for some reason?
    Your motor choice depends on your tools box and mechanical ability. The shovels will need more tuning and adjusting b/c of the carbeurator while the twincams will not need as much as they are computer contolled and fuel injected. If you like to tinker go shovel type if not then go Twinkie (twin cam). The shovel types are easier to work on, the twincams and evos are a little harder b/c of the tighter tolerences, computers and feul injection. Just about anybody can work on a shovel. The newer motors are a little more finickey. A carbeurated Evo might be a good choice for you. There are awesome ones on ebay that advertise more than 120HP for about $6,500. You can find a good rebuilt shovel for about $4,500. in the 70 to 90 HP range. Depends on the cubic inches you want. My bike is 93 ci and the red bike is 80 ci. You can do a lot with a shovelhead. My blue bike had 4 spark plugs and 2 coils. They can be built to put out over 100 HP~! They sound awesome too!! GO SHOVEL BUDDY!
  9. JohnnyBiker

Not really worried about them as far as the exhuast mounting goes, I just have never really liked that design. Just a preference thing. I did see some shovels last night on ebay for a lot cheeper than 4500, not sure what they all needed. I am more partial to the shovels and pans. I think that I would like to be around the 96 c.i. range and then go from there.
  10. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

You can up to 103ci on a shovelhead, although I wouldn't reccomend going that big. The other systems on the bike won't be able to support a 103 ci motor.
    I would stay at 93 ci or smaller.
    S&S is a good option so is Ultima Motors, they both have quality shovelheads. You will pay for the S&S name but it's worth it. Or find a old cheap shovel (off ebay) and rebuild it. The problem with ebay is you dont know what you are getting and ofcourse people will embelish on the quality of the item. They will say it's better that it really is. I don't think I would by car or a cycle off ebay unless it has a warranty and a refund gaurantee.
  11. hotroadking

JMO Ultimas are junk...

Stay away from their gearboxs, Chinese knock off of bakers
    and they are very poorly assembled with cheap bearings..

If you want to know anything about Ultimas unreliability
    be happy to introduce you to a friend with a 113 that
    I've rebuilt with him 3 or 4 times....
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I did not know that sir!
    I would stick with the SNS or H-D then!
  13. JohnnyBiker

I know that I have asked about the El Bruto on this site before and I thought I saw a thread recently that was asking about them as well. Are the gear boxes just the only issue with them or would you say that the whole engine is bad?
  14. hotroadking

In this case his 113 is a POS

I tried to get him to sue them

Some are good he got a lemon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk