1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Needle differences, Help?

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by Yachtman, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Well in my haste to take a pic of the difference between the stock idle needle and the EZ model, I put the springs down and cna't remember which is which.

Ken, Please help!!

The point of the pics was to show the height diff in the needles from what I believe is the point at which the washer would be. As can be seen in the pics the lenths are different. Could this be the reason for the inability to get the bike to idle correctly? Please excuse the blurry!

Please

Attached Files:

2. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Here are two pics showing the needles from inside the carb. The EZ definately comes through more than stock, as can be seen.

Attached Files:

3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Correct, the EZ-Just is designed with a longer needle taper to allow for finer tuning. This makes the EZ-Just less sensitive to slight adjustments compared to stock thus providing a larger range of adjustment.
  4. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Kool, now if I could get the rest of my issues straight!

I'll assume I have the springs correct?
  5. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Ken,

Should the o-ring be all the way down the thicker shaft, so that it's tight down to the washer? Or just loose on the thinner shaft?
  6. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The o-ring will automatically move down the shaft as the spring compresses (thats what she said) so it shouldn't matter. Just make sure the washer is between the spring and the o-ring or the spring will chew up the o-ring. I usually just rest all 3 onto the needle and install upright to keep the o-ring from falling sideways down into the threaded hole. If the o-ring gets jammed up in there it can block the passage.
  8. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

She always says that! My problem is the compression, and trying to get more!!

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Hopefully, I'll have better luck tomorrow. I was thinking maybe the o-ring wasn't seating properly. I pushed on the shaft, screwed it in, then unscrewed it and it stayed on the shaft for the first time. (There's a comment in there somewhere, I just know it!!) That's what made me wonder.

Ok, hopefully this will be the last question.
    Is there any other passage I should spray carb cleaner in.
    Should I shoot some in the idle screw shaft?
    Are there any other rubber parts, other than the diaphragm, idle o-ring and accellerator and float bowls that I should/can remove?

And 4th-ly, does the choke normally have so much swing-ability?

Ok, ok.....keep your fingers crossed.

And I seriously mean it when I say..

Thanks everyone who has tried to help this carb-dummy along this bumpy road, truely.

Robert

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the choke will swing...it will mount in a variety of locations........no problem!!
  10. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

Thanks Chuck,

Robert