1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Needle in premium tuners kit no longer working for my current build

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by svdefiant, May 6, 2021.

1. svdefiant

svdefiant New Member

Which CVP Velocity needle would be best for my application?

I purchased the premium tuners kit for my bike quite some time ago and it ran like a champ! (1994 FHLS, mild build with EV 27 cam, SE air cleaner and Rinehart duals. The engine has now been rebuilt and completely modified from it's original form, so naturally the Velocity needle that came with my kit is no longer working as it should. It now runs way too lean and coughs badly when cracking the throttle. I tried installing your N65C replica needle with one 0.030 shim, and it's much better but mid-range mixture are still much too lean. The idle circuit and just off idle is good (size 45 slow jet, EZ-Just screw at 2-3/4 turns to get 13.0:1 AFR idle mixture). There's good throttle response without coughing, albeit the lean mid-range mixtures My wideband AFR tells me 15:1-16:1 AFR!! When I go wide open throttle and get into the main jet, mixtures start getting better (13.5:1) Based on that, I know I need to go up in main jet sizing to get to around 12.5:1. My main concern is that I have the N65 needle installed and the mid-range mixtures are so lean with one shim under the needle! It seems really odd to me. To help you give me a proper Velocity needle recommendation, my current build is and 89" Evo stroker with Edelbrock Performer heads, Andrews Ev 59 cam, 10.4:1 static comp (corrected 9.26:1), Supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1 exhaust, Dynojet ignition. Just for grins, I'll try adding a second shim to the N65, just to see what happens, but I would like to have a Velocity needle I can just drop in without shimming and go.