1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Needle Jet for my CV

Discussion in 'Other CV Performance products' started by StoxIO, Feb 20, 2017.

1. StoxIO

StoxIO Member

I recently purchased the Premium Tuners Kit for my carb. Couple of questions. I previously had a Dyno Jet Kit installed in it and plan on replacing all of it with the CVP Kit. One question I had is the Dyno Jet Kit came with a new Needle jet which is currently installed. Do I need to go back to the stock needle jet for the Velocity Needle to perform properly? Also, I've done a Fuel Moto 98"BB Kit over the winter and I know I'm pushing the limits of this CV. The instructions only give recommendations for jets up to a 95" Kit. I've purchased the largest main jet and idler jet you sell, ( 200 and 50). Would you recommend going straight to the largest jets or starting with like a 195 and a 46? What are your recommendations as far as setting up this Carb to perform as best as it can for this 98" BB Kit?
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

You're pushing a stock CV on a 98" beyond my knowledge. Bumping this...Ken? JB? HRK? Lucifer?
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Something else to say here: if you haven't changed your air intake to a higher flow unit and are running the stock fuel petcock you will likely not be getting the air & fuel volumes that 98" will want, regardless of jetting. You're calling for 12.5% more flow than the carb, breather and petcock each were designed for...IMHO, I doubt they can make that up, though I am not an expert on the subject. I switched to a 45mm carb when I went from 88" to 95" (not right away, so I got to know how much better it was when I did upgrade).
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Please see the email reply sent previously. You need to replace the needle jet and any other left over component from the Dynojet kit since their parts are not compatible with stock Harley, Keihin, OE, or our CVP parts.

With your 98 you are reaching the limit of the CV carb but should be able to squeak by with the 50/200 combination. I have seen others actually need to scale back to a 50/195 when a 98 is used with stock heads. Any need beyond the 50/200 and you'll either need to upgrade to Mikuni HSR carb, CV44 (if you can still find them), or some have experimented with drilling out their main jets (not recommended without a precision machining). We don't believe in pushing the CV40 beyond a 50/200.