1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Nevada to Maine & back

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, May 7, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Now that I got my ride running sweet & strong, I want to get out for a long haul. I'm thinking to hit the highway mid June, taking a northerly track on the way out through Idaho, Wyoming (Yellowstone NP), South Dakota, Minnesota (visit JB & HR before they head out themselves)....then things get really flexible on the way to Maine (and maybe Cape Breton). I do hope to hit southern Ohio and eastern Colorado on the mosey back, but mostly I just be wandering after Maine.

Anyone got any suggestions?
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Well, if you get to Maine after schools are out, July-August, Route 1 along coast will be a traffic jam in lower Maine. If you happen to be there mid June 11-14 I'll be southern Maine along the coast south of Portland and almost NH, we could hook up briefly but that's a real shot in the dark.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

If you do hit Cape Breton,drop me a line,maybe we could hook up for a cold one and a ride...Not necessarily in that order...;)
  4. Red Rider

Fatboy128 - Thanks for the tip, and while I expect to be there before July 1st, it looks like it won't be until the late 2o-something-th of June. Got a ride in Minnesota with JohnnyBiker and Hot Rider starting on the 24th.

Lucifer - I'd like that. I'd also appreciate a rec on where to overnight there in CB. As economical as can be without being fleabag-city. I won't be packing my usual six-gun teddy bear, due to too many restrictions out east & over the border, so I'm looking for peaceful accommodations. Ideas?
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

There's lot's of places to stay...If you're only doing a one-two day run, Cabot Trail and Ceilidh Trail are the best two,You might need to book a room in advance. Have a look around the site .
    Don't worry about your Teddy Bear,you won't need it,peaceful and friendly here ...Staying just one day is hard to do;)

http://www.cbisland.com/
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I always enjoy riding with you Red. I really needs to get out there. Now that Hot Rider is switching carrers, it will be way easier to do so.
  7. Red Rider

Thanks for this, L! Though I sleep better with my teddy bear, I do appreciate peaceful and friendly....once in a while.

JB - Yeah, you're going to have to come out to the Great Wide Open. You both should start planning on it now.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yes I do. With Hot Rider doing daycare it's difficult for her to take a lot of time off in one spurt. Clients get upset.
  9. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

If you're gonna get near New hampshire pm me and i will send you my addres and phone number. You're welcome to stop by and for sure call if you get in a jam
  10. 03LD

03LD Member

I second the Cabot trail nice windy roads with lots of Bed and Breakfast type places. You could come to PEI too, lots of nice beaches and good food!
  11. Red Rider

I'd be happy to meet as many of you folks as time, weather and $$ allow. I'll definitely be contacting anyone that wants to meet as the journey progresses.

New Hampshire is likely on the itinerary, on the way back.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  12. badinfluence63

Cool. Looking forward to meeting you!
  13. Red Rider

PEI does look cool, too. Might have to at least drop over the bridge for a quick look. Mmmm, foooood!
  14. badinfluence63

Make sure you bring your passport!
    Red Rider likes this.
  15. Red Rider

Getting closer to launch, D- 8 or so (stuck here until at least the 17th). Wife is going to fly out to Maine, so s'posed to meet up with her around the 28th for a few/7 days. Don't know what that will mean to my itinerary, other than I won't be just buzzing right through to Cape Breton. Depends how much $ we spend together, I guess;)!

So any Canadians got any tips for riding your Trans-Canada HWY? Cutting from Sault Ste. Marie through Montreal to Maine. What are the general speed limits (and how strict are the police/Mounties patrolling them)?

My credit cards should do for most things, but are any particular gas station chains fussy? Like, here, many ARCO stations have been debit card/cash only (not that I put ARCO gas in my ride if I can help it).

Looking at general weather patterns, it looks to be quite different from my other long runs of late. Not likely to spend days riding in 100+ degrees - my bike and I are already glad of that. Well, not until the as-yet-to-be-determined route back.

I'll need tires somewhere during this trip, hopefully not until close to Maine. Is it better to get them in Canada or the USA? Going by a s-load of H-D dealerships and Indies....thoughts, anyone?

And, yes, I will bring my passport;)
  16. 03LD

03LD Member

Most gas stations will take credit cards, tires not too sure, since your dollar is worth more..might save a bit of cash. Weather on the East Coast has been cold and rainy.. hopefully change up anytime :). I think they built a new highway to by-pass Montreal unless you are going there. Quebec city is nice feels real old.. speed limit I don't think goes above 110 km not sure how strict they are in Upper Canada, don't know of any areas, but the 401 through Ont. gets pretty wild sometimes.. safe travels.

You only have to pay to leave the Island...lol
    Red Rider likes this.
  17. Red Rider

Thanks, o3LD

I do hope to meet up with interested Bike Talk members when practical. Real glad to join JohnnyBiker & crew for a run through northern Minnesota (by the way, JB, are we camping or moteling?). Sure hope for a good run (no engine repairs or other bike trubs). Probably my last 8,000 mile ride...unless I get a new bike, then anything goes.:D
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't cross into Canada with your Roscoe or you'll be
    saving money on lodging and meals courtesy of the government...
  19. Red Rider

Underway....stopped here in Evanston, WY for the night. Made about 560 miles, a decent start. Should easily be near Minneapolis Wednesday. Good weather, good ride - if a little boring (done it too many times). Time to hit the showers.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  20. Red Rider

Road in to Custer, SD, yesterday eve. Took a lot of state roads while crossing Wyoming, which was interesting. So many little towns are drying up, seems like the only places left open in these soon-to-be ghost towns is the bar - and it only has beer. Real serene lonesome riding. Except for the speed goats that is - dang antelope were crazy, running out in the road and walking right up to me. Brought out my carnivore cravings.

Weather has been perfect, and looks to be good for awhile. Plan on heading to Pierre, SD - more state road riding - and then start figuring where to bunk-up before heading into Minnesota tomorrow.