1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Nevada to Maine & back

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, May 7, 2016.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Best part of the day was the a/c and shower.

Whats the temps?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well you'll be close to Sturgis without all the Sturgis crap..
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Weather has been fine...around 90 at high...could have used a cloud or two, but good enough.
    Toured around the Black Hills since I wasn't in a hurry. Just great riding, then I headed out for where I am now, Redfield SD. Lots of neat stuff along the way, but nothing really spectacular.
    I avoid chain restaurants, as a rule, when riding America. May have to change. Every local spoon I've hit so far have been huge disappointments. Sheesh - can't even heat veggies right. Place today had neither the food or drink (frickin' lemonade!) that was on the menu. Waitress looked more upset about it than me (another customer said his tip would be real lite), so I gave her more in tip than the "meal" cost....but I'll never be back.
    Stopping off at JB's tomorrow in Minnesota, only a few hours away now. Gonna be great to see him & his clan.
    One other thing I finally learned that I'll pass - when riding into a town to stop for the night, ride the whole town. The first place you see may not be the one you wished you stayed at!
    Ride hard & safe....
  4. hotroadking

get yelp app on your phone and check reviews of places before you stop
    so you know what you're in for as far as service or cleanliness.

We had good luck with some places in NC local small town eatery

Sometimes though a chain is better
  5. Red Rider

While I appreciate the suggestion, Yelp mostly didn't even have reviews, or were so many years old as to be obsolete. But mainly, I'll try even poor reviewed ones to see if they are on the way up. Been pleasantly surprised more than dissapointed - until this trip.
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

When in doubt I go for the Chain joints. At least you know what you're probably in for.
  7. hotroadking

Yeah sometimes yelp isn't any help
  8. badinfluence63

Red River try this: https://roadfood.com/state/
  9. Red Rider

OK, made it to Maine yesterday. Canada was a trip - went from Sault Ste. Marie to Sherbrooke yesterday. Over 11,000 Kilometers - think that is like 30 miles? (sarc). Hitting French Canada tested my high school French skills, that is certain.
    Met a black bear on the road near Massey, Ontario, and almost did one of those Darwin-award picture things, till my better judgement kicked in. He was looking for roadkill when I rolled up to him, about 30 feet away is all. I thought he'd run off for sure - he didn't...so I did!
    I've had some computer issues until today, so been off. Have to catch up on the visit to JB & HR's place.
  10. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Yes it's nice country up there Espanola and Manitoulin Island.I'm trying to make it back up there soon.I hope lol
  11. Red Rider

So back to Minnesota. My visit with JohnnyBiker and HotRider was cool, but our big ride north was scrubbed by severe weather. Just good company, good food and good times. Everyone was disappointed that we didn't get upstate, but JB and I got some local running done. If ya wanna go fast, ride with JB!

Now for something completely different: I want to give props to Big Moose H-D of Portland, Maine. Another dealership sent me there cuz they wouldn't change my rear tire - which is lame and why I won't mention them - but Big Moose did while I waited and for a under $300 for the Dunlop 402T, even after taxes. Haven't seen it that low for a while. I looked at bikes there whie waiting and couldn't help but notice that their prices on similar models was about $1000 less than I saw at other dealers I've visited recently. If I were a local, I'd buy there and get bike service there.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  12. badinfluence63

image.jpeg image.jpeg Well alrighty now! Had a long distance out of town visitor today. About sometime after one I hear the rumbling of a motorcycle coming down the road and surprise its Red Rider!

Not really a surprise because he had touched bases with me yesterday and we coordinated his arrival.

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of 3 days of 8p-8a. So unfortunately I was limited about being able do any riding.

But I slept a couple hours before he got here,hung out for a couple hours when he got here and slept a couple hours after he left. Most of my family was at the house so he got to meet everyone including my nosey older grandson with 20 questions which RR graciously answered,lol. Wife cooked up some potatoe salad, corn on the cob and either BBQ pork chops or chicken.

Kudos to Red Rider. The man has logged and will logged some mad hours on this trip. His Road King is set up real comfortable like.

It was great to have met in person and put a face and personality to a name.

Thanks RR for the visit. Safe travels my friend.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  13. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It's always GREAT to see you Red! Yes, it was unfortunate that the ride planned was scrubbed but getting to hang with you is always AWESOME! I am glad that your trip is going relatively smooth. Remember, if you are decide to come back this way, need a place to stay, a full belly and an oil change, let me know and we fix you up.

How's your VSS working?
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  14. badinfluence63

RR holla when you get home!
  15. badinfluence63

Anybody heard from red rider? Called him 2-3 times and he hasn't called back.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Hmmm. No. When he's out riding he won't return calls usually until he's packed it for the night. I can call his home phone and see if his wife has heard from him.
  17. badinfluence63

He left here Saturday about 2:30pm. He had 2800 miles to go. Not counting Saturday for more than a couple hundred miles and depending how many miles a day he does, he might not be home yet I guess. He was feeling pretty home sick when he left.

He'd have to be doing 500 miles a day to be home now?
  18. JohnnyBiker

Yes that sounds about right, maybe a tad more. I left a message on his phone, no answer at home as of when I called. Thanks for the heads up.
  19. badinfluence63

Cool thanks let me know when you hear somthing and I will as well.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  20. JohnnyBiker