1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

new cams

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hobo76, Aug 9, 2004.

1. hobo76

hobo76 New Member

I have a 02 fxdwg, it is totaly stock except for the pipes and the air cleaner. I put it on the dyno and pulled 71 horse power and 70 ft lbs of torque. I would like to get more without making the size of the motor go up. I have a couple of things in mind and would appreciate a little help in deciding. I would like to put a set of SE211 cams and a 42mm mikuni flatslide carb. What are the benifits of using gear cams instead of chain? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Gear cams are all the rage, on a mild hopped up bike like you're doing they IMHO are not necessary, best bet is to pull the cam cover and take a look at the tensioners.

There are guys with 100K on theirs and some with 5K, depends on the build and some thing the riding style, long distance riders keep the rpms up and the oil pressure up which keeps things lubricated better is the theory.

Gears get ride of the chains and tensioners and may free up a few poinies but at a cost of about $400 extra over chain driven cams. So it's a personal preference. If you were to go big bore, high pressure springs on modified heads with high lift cams (590+ lift) then gears are a good idea, over 600 gears are probably a great idea.

211 is a good cam but the power band is going to be up the RPM a bit, if you want lower RPM power the 204's would work.

Andrews tw26A is a good cam, if you want to do a little head work then tw37b's.

Kuryakyn has a new set of cams, the mauf. Mike Rowland has said the WG-1 (Wild Things) is a good cam for stage 1 and is gear drive. It has higher intake and lower exhaust pattern lifts, most HD cams are the same on both ie
    510 lift Intake 510 lift exhaust, where Kuryakyn is saying 510 intake 485 exhaust to help keep low end tq up.

I haven't seen or run them but the dyno charts look good.
  3. hobo76

hobo76 New Member

Thank you for the info. I am just curious, but what kind of head work would you recommend? I was thinking maybe bigger valves, heavier springs and port and polish?
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  4. hotroadking

Hobo,

What I think is the best thing to do is get a shop that will take your stock heads and work them to the cams and compression build you want.

Short Block Charlie is one of the best in the country and will build the heads to compliment the cams and isn't the most expensive. IMHO a great option do it in your down time (I bet that's often in HI isn't it LOL)

Other excellent head work is done at:

www.t-manperformance.com

www.undergroundheads.com

Both are high quaility as well. Check DP for a good price on cams from S&S or Andrews, in your case tw37B and S&S 570s are good.

Your 88 was designed as a 95 inch that's why HD drop in cylinders fit perfectly LOL and a good seasoned set of 88 cylinders are ripe for boring out.

I would seriously consider big bore if you're pulling the heads, you're just a set of pistons and a bore job away. It's not hard on the motor and it's a better way to make a larger tq band. IMHO you'd be nuts to pass on the pistons and bore for what $300 - $400 tops including the pistons, rings and machine work.

SBC will bore the cylinders to fit the pistons, which you could get here at DP, with those cams 10 to 1 would be an acceptable compression ratio to get the power out, should be in the low 90's easy.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  5. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Beware of Shortblock Charlie

From my own personal experience, SHORTBLOCK CHARLIE is not the place to go if you expect to get timely service or a good job done. I took a set of heads to him and was told that it would be a week. After 6 weeks my heads were not finished and the reality was that instead of 72cc combustion chambers on my EVO heads they CC'd at 91. Needless to say my heads were ruined and I ended up having to buy a new pair. He may have cleaned up his act, but I met numerous folks who also had nightmares with his service. His pricing was good but he just wasn't taking care of business as of last march.
  6. hotroadking

VYBR8R

I don't doubt your problem, however in the overall scheme of things
    I haven't heard any other complaints however I do know that in that time frame one of the big magazines did a huge article on them and gave them the thumbs up for great work and price, after that they were swamped with work, couldn't keep up and admitted this.

Such is the price of fame.

I believe they are back on track, and they have an overall good rep, sorry you had problems, Charlie and Hippo are on other boards and have always been very helpful and informative.

Im suprised they didn't make it right for you.
  7. hobo76

hobo76 New Member

Thanks for the info yall. I will defineatly look into uping the cubes to 95. I would really like to just bite the bullet and go to a 103 stroker but I dont have the money right now. I am pretty happy with the motor but we all know about that craving for more power. Thanks again for your help.
    Hobo76
  8. hotroadking

Hobo

A well built 95 will run with hd's off the floor 103 and probably spank it pretty bad.

A well built 103 will run good too just like you said $$ more.

If it were me I 'd get the S&S 106 stroker kit from S&S vs the 103 for the same money.
  9. hobo76

hobo76 New Member

How many more ponies will you get out of 3 cubes?(103 vs 106) Or is S&S just a better product than HD's SE kits? I really like S&S, and everybody I know who has anything made by them has been really happy. I think the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a 95 anyway. Seems alot easier. I was also concerned about balance. If I were to change my pistons and bore the walls 95", and my motor is balanced to 88"? And especially if I went to 103! I will go on the dp website and see about that 106 kit. Thanks for the info.
    Hobo76