1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Engine Time

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 30, 2018.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, the time is almost here for me to take the engine out of my Road Glide and send it out to get the bottom end done. A lot of things have changed since I decided that I was going to put a new engine in my Glide, things such as displacement, cam choice and using the stock cases vs. buying brand new ones. These decisions were all based on the fact that I was intending on having a new bike by now but instead I bought my wife a really nice bike, so my way of thinking is that I am going to build something that is still powerful, but not so powerful that I can't trust it. After all, Hot Rider and I need to ride out and see Red, if he doesn't kill himself by then.:banghead So, in JohnnyBiker fashion, I am going to document the project here. It has been a long time since I have done this and I hope all get something out of this thread as much as I do as this will be my first time taking a Twin Cam engine out of the frame. PLEASE ENJOY!

As mentioned, I have changed some of things that I had originally planned on doing for the new engine. When I first decided to build a new engine, it started out as doing a 117" then a 124" I had finally settled on a 124" and proceeded to buy parts for that engine. The parts that I have on hand are the oil pump, cam plate, cylinders, pistons, custom made cam, lifters and roller rockers. The support plates that I wanted for this build were a pain in the ass to find but finally I tracked them down and still need to purchase them, but that is no sweat.
    After changing my mind, I do have some parts that I will be sitting on for a little while, but hey, I don't mind that, I can still use the major parts. The others? I will sit on them or I will sell them.

I decided that I am going to go with no bigger than a 107" using a 4" stroke. That's right, an all bore 107"!

Stay Tuned!
    Red Rider likes this.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Smart move, 124's are fun, and they can be made reliable but you have to beef
    everything up behind them, and frankly the engines not the problem it's the wrist because nobody with bulk cube engines rides them like a daily driver without cracking the throttle hard.

107 should be a nice running engine, plenty of TQ and good gas mileage so you can go to Reds and pass a few gas stations on the way.

What did you get HR...
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. JohnnyBiker

I bought Hot Rider a really nice 2016 Slim. It had less than 5k on the clock and the owner before stated to put things on the bike that we would have ourselves. Couldn't pass it up. I told her that I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Road Glide and she was ok with that. However she has been real fidgety while riding with me (to the point that I wasn't comfortable) that I started thinking that it was time that she got back on her own bike so I started looking at Slims and Crossbones. I wasn't really looking at the Slims yet and of course BaggerPaul and I were talking and I told him what I was thinking. He actually found the bike that I ended up buying Hot Rider, funny thing is that the bike was just 50 miles from me. lol
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. hotroadking

softails are good bikes, lower seat height makes them
    comfortable, easy to get up and running. Nice choice
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

OK, I'll try to survive until your next visit.....you do the same!

Really like your 107" plan. Can't wait to hear that rumble on in the Great Wide Open.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  6. JohnnyBiker

It will be nice sounding that's for sure. I'm still trying to get used to the fact that I won't be using a true dual anymore. But oh well.:arghh:
  7. JohnnyBiker

Today I brought the heads in to get them flowed. As always my mind is constantly changing and rethinking and perhaps overthinking. Its possible that I will have a set of SE 110 heads for sale and move forward with getting another set done. I will post pictures of the flow charts when I get the heads back. I have a feeling that a set of heads will be for sale.:banghead:
  8. JohnnyBiker

Alright, as promised, here are the result from my being flowed.

[​IMG]
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

So was it worth it?
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  10. hotroadking

Hard to read, looks like a nice gain,
  11. JohnnyBiker

Considering that I have only about $400 in to these heads, I would say yes. Those heads have not a lot of port work done to them. BaggerPaul knows his STUFF!
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I dont have a baseline Unfortunately, but I do know the the SE 110 heads are a good head from the factory. Like I said, these heads didn't need a lit of massaging.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Well, as usual, the direction I am taking with my bike changed. I know I said that this engine wasn't going to be larger than a 107. Well, it's going to be a 124. After buying all of the parts for this 124, I dont want to have to buy more parts. I'm going to use what I have.

On a different note, after investigating, I won't be putting the cams I have on stilts. The heads that I have flow too well to start changing the geometry of them, so I'm using them as is.
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. hotroadking

be sure to budget compensator, clutch, trans....
  15. JohnnyBiker

I will be replacing all of the above except transmission. I will do what I need to to the tranny but am sticking with the 5 speed. The clutch, only the best, BANDIT!
  16. hotroadking

Well, the heavy duty clutch with the super high TQ will eventually take it's
    toll on the transmission, the weak point is the trap door holding the bearings for the main and secondary shaft, mine pulled the mainshaft bearing through the door breaking the inner lip which is tiny. Lucky it finally gave when I was just putting up the road from the house at 20 mph. At 70 it would have locked up the rear tire...

I replaced mine with a Jims Billet trap door, you should consider the same.

Also with that big engine a 6 speed makes a big big difference in ride quality
  17. JohnnyBiker

Funny, you are the only person that I have ever heard even remotely concerned about the transmission. I just was talking to builder down in Florida and I asked him what I could do to the transmission to strengthen it, he asked the year, I told him and he said I needed to do nothing.:facepalm::facepalm:
  18. hotroadking

19. JohnnyBiker

I started to investigate this a long time ago when you first brought this up and same thing, no one said that it was crucial that this be done. i'm not arguing with you, perhaps just an anomaly in your case?
  20. JohnnyBiker

I started to buy more tools that I need to put this 124 together myself. When I first contemplated this project, it was a requirement that I do this myself. As time went on the more impatient I became and started to think that I would rather just have someone else do it. I JUST CAN'T DO THAT. So I decided on a plan of action, it will delay the completion date but I am a patient man. I need to do this!

The tools that I need is a dummy shaft to assist in pressing the bearing onto the crank, (on order), an H frame 20 ton press and a jig to hold the crank in place while setting the bearing. I have also decided that I will go to ebay and buy a set of used cases and crank and use those as my test pieces.