1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Engine Time

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 30, 2018.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I finally received a big piece of the build today. The Cases!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. JohnnyBiker

Today I was able to get more things ordered that are needed to complete this project. Today I ordered an engine stand, rocker support shafts, inner cam bearings, and cam plate bearings. I also started pricing out other parts that are still needed so I can decide who I will purchase them from, even though I know where they will come from.
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Pretty much everything has been ordered to complete the engine. The crank, compensator, clutch, a 3 phase charging system and a +1 oil pan is on the way. There are still some things that are needed but I am real close.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

have you put anything together or just gathering parts still
  5. JohnnyBiker

I am still gathering parts but am almost done with that. Still need the carb, new covers, bagger brace, belt, motor mount, acr's and harness and support plates. Can't really get the support plates until all is together to determine if I need offset plates or not.
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

What carb are you going with?
  7. JohnnyBiker

Red, going with the CV 51mm.

As far as the rest of the project goes, I have purchased the carb, and the rocker support plates are being made. Now it's just a matter of verifying gearing of primary drive "clutch basket" and get the basket ordered. After that, I will start taking the engine out of the bike and clean the frame and polish the chrome covers.
    Red Rider likes this.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Well it has been a long time so I thought I would make a post and say hello and give an update with what is going on with my Glide. Well, not much is happening. I had just gotten started on putting the bike back together and I could not resist the urge or fight off the need to put a new transmission in the bike. I was Ok with using the stock 5 speed but that transmission is so faded and dirty. I first was going to send it down to Florida and have the tranny gone through but after thinking about it, I find it to be more cost efficient to just put a whole new tranny in. So this is holding up progress as those transmissions are not cheap.

I haven't even touched my bike since April as some business opportunities presented themselves and ended up pursuing those instead. I am riding however, just not in the typical fashion that I am accustomed to.

Anyways, just thought I would pop in and say hello.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. hotroadking

good to hear from you, good luck on the bike, 6 speeds are nice,
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Yeah since Minnesota upped the speed limit on State Highways I can now justify having a six speed. I find myself using 6th gear often when I am on the Slim.
    Red Rider likes this.
  11. hotroadking

Even more so when you're running bulk cubic inch engine because
    90 in 5th is an eyeball shaker....
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Man, it has been a busy summer. Haven't touched the bike all summer but am getting going on it. Here in a couple of weeks the bottom end is being assembled. Found a guy in Wisconsin that will teach me how to do this I have never done it.

Still waiting on the transmission though. I should have that on about a month then it's time for final assembly. Once I start with the bottom end, pictures will follow.
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. hotroadking

Heck won't be long and you'll be out on snowmobiles and snowskis.

Did you heat the garage so you can work on it in the winter, or will
    you be able to put it on the kitchen table LOL
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. JohnnyBiker

The garage is heated yes.
    Red Rider likes this.
  15. hotroadking

well that'll keep you off of the kitchen table!
  16. JohnnyBiker

It will this time. I have done some bike stuff in my kitchen before. The wife never said a word.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  17. JohnnyBiker

Well, the day has finally come. Tomorrow the bottom end and cases will be put together. All has been loaded and off to Wisconsin I go. You know,when I started this project, one of the things that was an absolute rule was that I needed to be the one who does the majority of the work. I.E. putting it together, the measuring and installing etc. Sure, I could have had a lot of different people just do it for me but means that it wasn't really me that built it. I am so glad that I found a guy that will take the time to show what it takes. I will be loading pictures soon. Until then, RIDE ON!
    Red Rider likes this.
  18. JohnnyBiker

Ok, as promised, here are some pictures of the build so far. I am not going to go into detail about what each picture is as I am sure the most of you know what you are looking at. I have learned a lot with this project.

Attached Files:

Red Rider likes this.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Here are some more.

Attached Files:

Red Rider likes this.
  20. JohnnyBiker

Now there is a small issue but nothing major and is easily remedied. The Intake valve pocket is too small for the size valve that are in my heads. To fix this, I have to fly cut the valve pocket an additional .012" on each piston to create the clearance needed.
    Also another small issue popped up. This is not a major thing to most people but it is tokso me. In the picture below you will see a picture of the HD tappet covers. Notice how the cover does not completely cover the entire block? This will drive me crazy!!! I go to S&S's web page and look up their tappet covers, looks like theirs will cover the entire block, but they are not chrome!!!:banghead:banghead So, I am going to have to get those chrome plated!! 20191012_184050.jpg
    Red Rider likes this.