1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Engine Time

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 30, 2018.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

chrome don't get ya home
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Sure, but I cant have that kind of inconsistency on my bike.
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

When ya got her running, post a little video with sound - want to hear her roar!
  4. hotroadking

Buy chrome, have powder coated gloss black
  5. JohnnyBiker

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my transmission. I was finally able to buy it. I decided that it was time to get a 6 speed so a Baker OD6 it is. I decided that to go with a black top cover, chrome bearing door and black side cover. As soon as I get the transmission I will be upgrading to the non-race inner primary bearing. ;)
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. JohnnyBiker

OK, as promised, here are some pictures of the new transmission. I am super stoked for this! I did change the shift pattern on this transmission. Sometimes I get stuck in parade riding mode and I just do not want to get the difficulty of finding neutral when needed. So to fix that problem, I went with Neutral down and 6 up.

Attached Files:

7. JohnnyBiker

On a different note. I was able to get started on the assembly to get everything back together and in the bike. As usual I ran into some small things that impede progress so I am at a stand still. Waiting on parts, as usual.:banghead

Started putting the rocker supports together so I can get going on checking piston to valve clearance.

First issue that I ran into is that I didn't have a solid lifter to do this job. Not a huge deal, I just took an old hydraulic lifter, took the retaining clip out, removed the spring and that little plate out, took the spring housing out and turned it upside down and reassembled the lifter minus the spring and the flat shim. Boom, instant solid lifter.

The first picture just shows the rocker assembly in place with the new Billet Delkron Support Plates. The rocker arms are from TP Engineering and are roller rockers. Of course new rocker shafts are in place. i

The second picture is just showing that the cam and crank gear is in place and properly timed. Notice the dot to dot?

Now the video is showing that there some issue play of the rocker(s). I was able to put a .015" feeler gauge in between the plate and the end of the rocker. Well, that is just WAY TOO MUCH! Harley's spec is .003"-.013", but this is no Harley engine. I want to get that down to about .004". Some may say that closing that gap is a simple fix. They would be right but I am going to make sure first that it is actual end play and not just the shaft moving making me think that it is end play. What I need to do am going to do is this.....

I ordered a product called Rocker Lockers. What this product is designed to do is stop the rocker shafts from moving. For those that don't know, when HD designed the support plates, they designed the shafts to have a notch on one side of the shaft. That notch is to face to the inside of where the bolt goes that holds the support plates to the head. This bolt is designed to prevent the shaft from spinning and to keep it place. (No lateral movement). Well, HD made the bolt holes too big so there is still room for the rocker shaft to rock. Ever wonder why and where your valvetrain is ticking? There you go. The Rocker Lockers are a little insert that goes into the bolt holes only on the notched side of the plate. This insert takes up the remaining space in the bolt hole not allowing (locking) the shaft to move. I don't want that shaft to move because this will allow for the rocker to properly open the valve and when it is supposed to. (Less side loading). I am also using this as a diagnostic aid to better determine end play. I take that rocking out of the equation, now I now for sure if I really have .015" of end play of the rockers.:D

Attached Files:

8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I have the Rocker Blockers in my Ultra. They quite down the tic tic tic a lot. C.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  9. JohnnyBiker

I am sure that they will do what they are supposed to do.:cool:
  10. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Hey JB, I think its a great idea and rewarding to composite your own bike identifying and eliminating know issues. The transmission looks outstanding and baker is well known,established highly rated tranny.

Good luck and can't wait till you got it dialed in and road worthy.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Thanks,
  12. JohnnyBiker

Finally got the hardened shims that I need so it is time to continue with getting this bike done. One cool thing that I forgot to mention is that Baker , sent along with the transmission a new style inner primary bearing that eliminates the need for the inner race. That saved me about $50.
  13. hotroadking

I ran that on my 124, makes fixing things easier without the inner race
    like when you bust a belt doing a burnout with the big engine or in a race
    on a hard launch when it hooks LOL
  14. badinfluence63

I'm a scarty cat. I sticking with stock performance, lol.

I'm not saying I'm right I just think stock is best MPG and reliability.
  15. JohnnyBiker

Man, I can't believe that it has been almost a year since I last posted in this thread. Well here is an update.ge

The Glide still isn't running but it is almost all back together and fired up. I chose to set the bike aside for some other reasons and have now finally gotten back to it. As my bike is going back together, there were a few things that I had to repurchase for various reasons. Just to name a couple, I had to repurchase a charging system. I had originally bought a Cycle Electric 50 amp system but at mock up, it was discovered that the regulator will hit the oil filter. If we modify it, then it will hit the front fender. So, I went back to an HD system. The big item that I had to repurchase was the exhaust system. Originally I bought a Khrome Werks 2-1-2 system with a tuck under pipe. Now I bought that pipe because I ad plans on using a certain stabilizer system.Well, that system is no longer available. I looked into other options of a stabilizer that I could use with that pipe but came up empty. So, I ended up buying a 2-1 with a ghost pipe and a stabilizer system that is completely hidden. I ended up buying a new rear pulley as there was 93k on the original.

As far as the install goes, just a few snags. had to drill a separate hole in the oil pan for the oil temp sending unit and had to mill down the oil feed pipe feeding the cam chest. Baker and S&S weren't talking on that one. Other than that, she is almost ready to rock!!
  16. hotroadking

Been quite a long time, you riding her bike to get your in the wind time?
  17. badinfluence63

Jb...if you’re gonna be a indy mechanic you need a better turn around time:)
  18. JohnnyBiker

Yes. Her and I put 9200 on last season.
    Red Rider2 likes this.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Those aspirations have passed. I discovered that I don't like that pressure and I most certainly don't like stuff cutting into my own riding time. I was gaining some momentum with it but it just started to interfere with my own riding. I like riding more than wrenching.
    Red Rider2 and badinfluence63 like this.
  20. hotroadking

yep, helicopter bikes are a PIA.

Ride one hour
    fix it for 7 days....
    Red Rider2 likes this.