1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Engine Time

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 30, 2018.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, my project is finally done. This project was challenging in a few different ways and took way too long! I am very happy with what I got and now the fine tuning needs to happen, but it is ready to ride!

Just a quick run down of build information.

Custom Built 124 C.I.

S&S Crank 4.625" stroke
    S&S flat top pistons 4.125" bore
    S&S cases
    SE 110 heads ported with stock valves
    CV 51mm Carb
    D&D Borzilla

Attached Files:

2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Awesome Johnny B! Gonna be some kind of ride you built there. Tranny up to the extra torque?
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yes. I went with a Baker OD6 and changed the shift pattern.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  4. badinfluence63

Excellent choice. Not a cheap choice. What did you pay for tranny....2500-3000$?
    Lets us know how the maiden voyage goes
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. JohnnyBiker

I think I got that one for under $2k. I was going to go with the DD6 but with extensive research and question asking, I decided that the OD6 was the better option.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice job, soon you'll be able to get out and enjoy it!
  7. JohnnyBiker

Well I was able to take the 124 out for its first ride the other day. I have to say that so far I am pretty happy with the results. Just a couple of very small adjustments need to be made and all should be good. I do think that this bike will see a lot of time on the road this year.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Well, the weather up here in the north hasn't been all that good so far. Fighting colder temps than usual and a tad more wind, I have however been able to manage over 1,000 miles on this new engine. The more that I ride it, the more I come to the realization that this bike is destined and wants to fuel injected. So, I am not going to fight it any longer.

My only complaint of the current set up is that my gas mileage is not where I think that it should be. With being nice to it, and riding solo I am getting a dismal 34 mpg. Most would think that this kind of gas mileage is really good for this size of an engine but I would disagree all day long.

For the summer I am going to keep the carb on the bike then over the winter I am going to make the switch over to EFI which falls into my plan that I first had. BlackDangerous does have a dyno appointment to take a look at the steady state AFR on the pilot circuit. This bike can be a PITA to start. I need to go up with the pilot jet sizes, but, I want to check it out on the dyno.

I finally was able to get the first oil change done and I was very happy to see what I did, especially after the catastrophic failure on the dyno during break in. My worries there are now gone and I can begin now to focus more on the ride! This bike is AWESOME!
  9. badinfluence63

10. JohnnyBiker

Pictures of what? My bike pretty much looks the same as it does in my avatar. Only changes are an open air element and did some powder coating to to some covers.
  11. badinfluence63

Well that makes it different.