1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New exhaust for softail

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by civilprocess, Sep 24, 2004.

1. civilprocess

civilprocess New Member

Just bought a 2005 Softail Deluxe have not taken delivery yet. I need some advice on the best exhaust system for it. I don't want it to loud and I don't want straight pipes. I like the look of the stock setup, should I just replace the mufflers? I would appreciate any and all advice. :)
  2. Pariah

Pariah New Member

many choices!

You are going to hear about as many opinions on this subject as there are different Pipe manufacturers so I may as well start: IMO there are only a few really great Pipe manufacturers out there; for my money I would go with Vance & Hines pick-your-favorite-look for a Softail Deluxe. They sound great, fit well, and are high quality pipes. I run those on the Classic but I run Supertrapps on the Heritage Springer because that is a dual setup. Go wiith the V&H in this case. ;)
  3. CHRISRG

CHRISRG New Member

I'll second the V&H pipes. I have longshots on my fatboy and they look and sound great. You can't go wrong with any V&H product.
  4. godot

godot New Member

V&H pipes are the way to go. However, one should consider sound/looks Vs performance. I just replaced a set of Longshots (which do look and sound good) with the V&H 2-into-1 Pro pipes because of performance issues. The difference is like night and day. If Longshots-style pipes are desired, I would recommend V&H Bigshots, with the new power chamber.
  5. Mojo-FTW

Mojo-FTW New Member

Don't be in a rush, cause if you go with ones you don't like you will be regreting the the money spent. Look around, at shows and events, and see and hear what appeals to you on other peoples' bikes. If you see ones you like, and find the owner of the bike, ask him/her to start it up so you can listen to them. Good luck in the search!
  6. Tritipskip

Tritipskip New Member

i inquired about ordering the v&h big shots from my local hd dealer for the 05 deluxe, he said the mounting brackets are different for the deluxe and pipes are not availible for this modle yet, :mad: only se slip ons. my bike should be here about the 18 of oct and ready for new pipes, breather kit and power comander3 about a month after that, hopefully the bigshots will be availible by then.

Cheers, Tritip
  7. godot

godot New Member

You may want to ask the Direct Parts folks about it. They may be able to get the pipes faster than the dealer.
  8. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

I've heard just about every pipe out there at one time or the other. I bought the V&H Pro Pipe HS, and it definitely has a unique sound. The performance is great, and it looks good on my '04 Heritage Classic. I put the pipe on the bike by myself and it was a fun and educational DIY project.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  9. CD

CD Guest

Hmmm, odd because V&H tells us that all Softail exhaust will fit the FLSTN (Softail Deluxe) and we have sold several systems to Deluxe owners including other brands of pipes. Maybe the dealer is a little :confused: ?

I would encourage you to double check with our tech staff at ask-the-tech@directparts.com and we will verfiy fitment on the pipe you want.

I would not encourage Big Shot shorts as you will develop reversion
    https://www.directparts.com/static/articles/antireversion.html which will hurt mid-range power and that is right where we need it most. If you want the Big Shots I would go with the Big Shot Power Chambers.
  10. Tritipskip

Tritipskip New Member

the HD dealer said he sold a pair big shots to a customer and they were returned because they didnt fit, this was the parts counter guy and his answer was vague when i asked about the pipes. i had just cancled/returned the se slip ons i ordered with the 05 FLSTNI, i compared the HD dealer price and parts direct, i think ill go with the parts direct rought and install the big shots, breather and power comander myself. thanks again for the info.

Tritip
  11. godot

godot New Member

Also, I recommend that you call V&H's customer service dept. Ask for Paul, and he will help you out.
  12. godot

godot New Member

I love the V&H Pro Pipe HS. The sound is good (not as loud as the Longshots) and the performance is great. Based on their tests, the folks at Mikuni and Jerry Branch recommend this set over any other.
  13. nikonf8

nikonf8 New Member

softail deluex

I have a 2005 softail deluxe and you can get Vance and hines pipes for your bike if you do not mind giving up the original look. In my option the Vance and hines pipes will destroy the look of this bike. I am waiting to see if the screaming eagle 2 torque fit mufflers will be made to fit the deluxe if so they are tapered like the original and will be louder and keep the original look. Vance and hines will lower the upper pipe and will have more of the race look I have a black and white bike which looks like the old look and Vance and hines will destroy this Mike D
  14. RocketCityRider

RocketCityRider New Member

Original Look....

I have also just purchased an '05 Deluxe. I bought it instead of a Fat Boy because I was blown away by the clean, nostalgic look. I've put bags and a windshield on it but I'm reluctant to do much to it for fear of cluttering the appearance. But the factory sound is pathetic!
    I've read this thread and other places on the net about after market pipes ruining the look of this bike. At first I agreed, but now I'm not so sure. Is it the tapered mufflers that make the look, or is it where the mufflers hange on the bike that makes the "look"? I don't think that it is the tapered mufflers. These look like the same ole mufflers that HD puts on most of their bikes.
    Being that the bike is so new, it is hard to find pictures on the net that show this bike with after market pipes. I've found a picture of a similar looking Heritage (with fat white walls) with a set of V&H Drag Pipes and it looked pretty good.
    I'm fortunate to have a Dad who also rides and has a flavor for change. He has a 2000 Fat Boy and is on his sixth set of pipes (V&H Pro Pipe). He highly recommends V&H (like the other 99 out of 100 people you ask). He has given me a set of Big Shots Staggered to try on my bike. I'm going to install them today along with the PCIII (purchased from Direct Parts!) and a SE Air Filter kit. I'll try to post a picture to give the other Deluxe riders an idea of what they look like.

[​IMG]
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Any set of slip ons that fit your style that are performance oriented and do the air filter as well as any tuning ie injection or carb.

V&H make great pipes.
  16. Tritipskip

Tritipskip New Member

i got the black and white deluxe and put on v&h big shots longs, they look fine on the deluxe. I have the saddle bags and was worried about the space created between the new pipes and the little bags that fit the deluxe,ill get an axel nut cover to finish it off. the staggers will look great, and if not , you can always go back, its no big deal. the pipes will sound great. i had a couple questions about installation and fit, direct parts and v&h helped me out along with some other people frome this forum.

cheers, Steve
  17. RocketCityRider

RocketCityRider New Member

Now that's why I bought a Harley....

Well, I spent the whole day yesterday installing the PCIII, pipes, and air filter. I'm not sure how to gauge how well they fit since this was my first time. The heat shield on the rear pipe dug into a couple of the fins on the jug but it doesn't show. And I wasn't sure how close the flanges were supposed to snug up to the cylinder head. It felt like it was having to tweak the binds to fit up to my engine. I checked it with a squirt bottle after starting and no bubbles....I guess they mated okay. The bracket to attach to the frame didn't reach to the frame. I machined a couple of stainless steel spacers to make the connection and used longer bolts. I also milled the holes on the bracket so that they were slots (the bracket needed to come down about 3/16"). Keep in mind that these were off of my Dad's 2000 Fat Boy so I don't know if I was missing some parts or if they have changed the mounting hardware since then. I didn't mind doing some custom fabrication for free pipes. The sound is amazing! My Dad said, "Now it sounds like a Harley". The only thing I'm unhappy with is that the shorter pipes expose the mounting bracket for the saddle bag. I think I will probably make a new one that hides a little better and powder coat it to match.
  18. whoyadoc

whoyadoc New Member

Totally Agree!

Bought a Softail Deluxe last week. Did alot of research and I agree. Heard alot of talk at 'the bar' and shops about Samson pipes bluing. Yes...pipes turning blue is due to misalignment(timing,jetting,ect..). Haven't heard any bad mouth about Vance & Hines. Just what I've heard...Keep rubber side down.
  19. whoyadoc

whoyadoc New Member

Got a quick question, (not to bash you, because we ride Harley's because of the pride), what did you think HD's 'original look' included these pipes they put on the FLSTN? Built alot of bikes, and included a pic of a 48 pan I had for 8 years. Don't agree with the pipes they put on the new softail deluxe. I just bought a new FLSTNI because after riding her, I loved the handling and low seat, and it was the closest ride and look of my ole panhead that I've seen. Heard and seen V&H Big Shot Longs on a Deluxe. Sweet.
  20. nikonf8

nikonf8 New Member

Slip Ons For Softail Deluxe

well the first slip on performance mufflers are available for the 2005 softail deluxe they are from D&D performance they came out with a slash cut and a straight cut slip on they run around $275 and i was told they will be available any day they were in the chroming process http://www.danddexhaust.com/ hit the whats net line on the top of the page and you will find a couple of jpegs Mike D Nikonf8@aol.com
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004