1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New exhaust for softail

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by civilprocess, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Thrrapy

Thrrapy New Member

Hello All!!! I'm new to the Site.

After talking to several Techs at several H-D Service Centers, I went with the V&H Pro Pipe HS for my '04 FXSTI. I was primarily interested in performance (for 2-up riding). I also had the Arlen Ness Stage 1 Big Sucker installed as well as a remap of my ECM. I like the sound of the pipes. Not overly loud.
  2. CD

CD Guest

Welcome to Bike Talk.

I like the Pro pipe it has a little less bark than a T-Header and runs neck and neck with it.

Besides, a little stealth with a big shock as you blow by is fun:D
  3. AZDLX

AZDLX New Member

New Deluxe Owner

Ok so I bought the new deluxe also : ) I have a few questions for you guys.

first: Before I buy my new pipes, pc3 and airfilter etc... Should I get the stage one done at the dealer or is this no longer necessary?

second: I really like the look of true duals 2 into 2 for my bike for 800 I can get the bassani power curve for softails but $800 + all the other goodies hmm.

I was just wondering if you guys knew of another kit for softails and what your thoughts are in general. I like the V&H longshots but just thought the true dual would make the bike... any help is great. I want to get my pipes asap she needs a better sound. Today a guy on a scooter rolled up next to me and his sounded better :( that is just plain sad. I need to remedy this quickly...
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  4. goliath

goliath New Member

pipes

I got a set of vance & hines drag pipes. classic look and they sound great!!! they have baffles and full heat shields.
  5. Tritipskip

Tritipskip New Member

AZDLX, No need to have the stage one flash at the dealer if you have a power commander, the dealer did the stage one on my deluxe just to get some more money from me, thay said the stage one flash was a good back up in case my power commander went out, i found out how much this dealership hates power commander, and was disapointed i didnt shell out the 500.00$ for the hd race tuner. just to prove me wrong, they down loaded the wrong map for the power commander and it ran like it, (it could have been a mistake) :( when i got it home i just downloaded the right map my self and it runs great. ANYHOW, the only reason to get the stage one flash is as a back up, once the power commander is hooked up, it's in control. i got the V&H big shots long, the ness big sucker and pc3usb, these pips sound awsummmm and the power is improved. the look of the pipes fits the bike, the saddled bag bracket also fit the bracket that came with these pipes. and yes, you do need new pipes . the stock set up sounds so sad

v
  6. RocketCityRider

RocketCityRider New Member

Drag Pipes

I put V&H Big Shots Staggered on my Deluxe but I think I'm going to replace them with Drag Pipes. I think they will look better on the Deluxe. I got the Big Shots from my Dad so I'm not out anything for experimenting. I could post a picture before I change them if your interested AZDLX. I also did the PCIII and the Stage 1 Air Filter. I was considering having the Stage 1 ECU flash to raise the rev limiter.

Goliath, where did you get your pipes? I don't think DirectParts has them. Also, did you put the Drag Pipes on a Deluxe? Is so, can you post a picture?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  7. AZDLX

AZDLX New Member

check it out!

I went on a ride today to tortilla flats. I thought I would share a photo with you guys.

[​IMG]
  8. kickstand

kickstand New Member

Have ordered a Deluxe and was pondering putting V&H Big Shot staggereds on it. Is there anything in particular besides looks that you didnt like about the Big shot Staggereds? How was the sound? way too loud? too soft? Just askin. I have heard the big shots on other bikes but not on the Deluxe. Appreciate any photos you have/had with the Deluxe fitted with the staggered on it.

Thanks for any info!
  9. RocketCityRider

Hello Kickstand,

Besides the looks on my Deluxe, there is nothing I don't like about the BigShots Staggered. I think they sound great. If I didn't have the Deluxe saddlebags on my bike I think I would like the looks of them better. The top muffler of the Drag Pipes comes back a lot further and I think that will really look more in place with the nostalgic.

I'm actually getting a chance to ride today. It's been in the 30's for a while here in Huntsville but today it is supposed to get up to 68! My Dad and I are going for a ride. I will take some pictures of my bike with the Staggereds and try to post them tonight.

BTW, I did find out that I can order V&H Drag Pipes through Direct Parts.
  10. AFBombBldr

AFBombBldr New Member

RCR, I would like to see what the Staggereds look like on your bike. I'm between those, Drag Pipes, and possibly the Rineharts for my new Wide Glide. Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  11. kickstand

kickstand New Member

Sounds great RCR!! I'll be lookin forward to seein some pics! Have a great ride today! You got a great day for it :D
  12. RocketCityRider

'05 Deluxe w/ BS Staggereds

Okay, here's a pic of my Deluxe with Vance and Hines BigShots Staggered:

[​IMG]

Like I said before, They sound great but I'm just not crazy about how they look on MY bike. I ordered a set of V&H Drag Pipes from Direct Parts yesterday. I'll post another pic of my bike when I get them installed to give you another idea of a look for your Deluxe.
  13. goliath

goliath New Member

custom built softtail w/ V&H drag pipes

bad pic in garage but it gives you an idea how they look.

Attached Files:

14. kickstand

kickstand New Member

Thanks RCR! very much appreciated, and even nicer to know how they will look with the saddlebags. Hmmmm, now I have some decisions to make.

Thanks again for the pic and have a happy new year! I'll be waitin for the pic with the drag pipes!

decisions decisions :rolleyes:
  15. CD

CD Guest

Hey Goliath,

Did you fatten up that mixture already? That gold on the front head pipe sure says lean to me.
  16. Tritipskip

Tritipskip New Member

big shot longs on the deluxe. i like um alot

Tritip

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  17. AZDLX

AZDLX New Member

map

Yo tritip what map are using for your PC? I have the same pipes big shot longs w/ PC III actually our bikes are almost the same. If you can help me out would be very cool.
  18. Tritipskip

Tritipskip New Member

AZDLX, hows the pc3 install going, does your seat fit, i just looked up the map on the pc website, have you installed you pc software, the map #m805-178, can ya get a pic posted

Cheers, Steve
  19. RocketCityRider

Drag Pipes did it for me....

I got the Drag Pipes installed this week. I think they look and sound much better than the Big Shots Staggered I pulled off. The weather has been rainy and cold so I haven't been able to ride since installing them. You have to settle for a garage picture:

[​IMG]

Also notice the lay down tag bracket I made for the tombstone tail light:

[​IMG]

It looks tons better than the stock bracket. I've got it broken down right now installing braided lines, wires through the bars, and all the chrome switch housings/levers/grips/master cylinder. I'm getting it ready for Bike Week. It won't be long now!

-RCR
  20. Retro

Retro New Member

big shot longs

I agree the big shot longs look the best and I bet they sound great! I just got my 2005 Deluxe on January 18th. I had a stage 1 air cleaner put in and just punched out the stock pipes. It sounds okay but I want more out of them. Thanks for posting a pic. Now I know want I'm going to do.

Retro