1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Keltec guns

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 22, 2011.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there is a certain length they have to adhere to.
  2. chucktx

i used to have a 2shot derringer that was 410/45 lc. was stolen:angry:
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I'll bet that had a kick :D

If'n you cut a double barrel off to fit in a saddle bag it would probably be illegal.
  4. chucktx

this is what i found........best to check with nra or atf.......

The overall length and barrel length of shotguns and rifles is regulated under the N.F.A or National Firearms Act of 1938.

Under federal law a Shotgun must have a Barrel length of at least 18" and an overall length of 26"

A Rifle must have a 16" barrel and an overall length of 26"

This was intended to prevent shotguns and rifles from being easily concealable.

Rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter then the N.F.A requirements are heavily regulated and are refered to as N.F.A weapons or Class III weapons, they fall into the same catagory as Machine guns and suppressors (commonly if inaccurately known as "silencers")

But can be legal provided...
    It is not prevented by State or Local law, you pass a federal background check, process the proper paperwork, receive permission from your local head of law enforcement, and pay a one time tax of $200.00.
  5. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

I got into BIG trouble once with a H&R 12 ga. that was a hair too short. The whole gun was 18" long. Wasn't doin' anything bad with it, but the ATF guys have no sense of humor at all. Lesson learned...
  6. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I know that feeling - got busted in '68 - a 20 ga. that is 14 in. long - cops drug me into court and tryed to throw the book at me - only problem was they forgot to ask if I had a fereral permit for it. Judge chewed them good and I got my gun back after about a 2 month runaround from the local LEO's. They sure didn't want to let go of it. Still have it and don't plan on gettin rid of it never. Found out that if you sell one it costs another $200 for the federal transfer tax. Guns only worth about $100. - Go fiquire! :confused: