1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

new nose cone for shovelhead

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas. I just called J&P and they are going to email me when the black rocker clutch kit becomes available on back order, then I'll order it. So, yet one more thing to do. I'm hoping there will be a way to modify the rocker bracket to my existing FXST bracket - though it doesn't look likely.

In the meantime I'm going to build an add-on room to my shop at ground level just for parking the bike. At present it's very difficult riding in as I must turn, go over a big tree root, up the ramp & thru the double doors. I have several times not been able to stop the bike before it runs into the opposite wall - too many things to do in too short a period of time.
    The new room will allow me a straight shot through the doors without a ramp. I have a question about the floor. Should I leave it grass like it is now or maybe put in a thin layer of gravel?
  3. Fatboy128

Gravel or grass your going to have a lot of moisture coming up out of the ground into your room. I would try to get either a flab with a plastic sheet under it or build a deck with ventilation under it. Otherwise your looking at a very damp room. Jmo

4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Fatboy is exactly right. Concrete slab with a moisture barrier laid down would be best. Just dig it out then put sand at the bottom and pour a slab on it. I would add some heat for the winter months or you'll still get some moisture in the room.

By the way the bike is really looking good.
  5. joshbob

The idea is to have it as level with the grade as possible - don't want to ride up a ramp anymore. Don't know what I'm going to do yet. I've thought about digging deep enough so I can put in a floor with joists and have an air space below the joists covered with plastic. The floor would still be level or just a few inches above grade.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

pour a concrete ramp with quick crete build a form using plywood cut at an angle so you can get it set correctly,
  7. joshbob

Thanks for all the ideas, boys. I'm still cogitatin'. Meanwhile, the scooter is ready to go, but I'm not - cracked a couple ribs the other day while at work, so it may be a little while before I can ride again. I've fractured ribs before and the only thing one can do is just take it easy and let 'em knit back together. Advil helps, too :rolleyes:. Our weather is still roller coasting along with a few nice riding days here and there, but mostly too cold to ride anyway.
  8. FLHTbiker

Josh,if you dig it out right and pour a slab then it will be at ground level and you should not need a ramp.
  9. hotroadking

Good luck on the ribs painful stuff...
  10. Fatboy128

How'd ya crack ribs teaching in the school?!?!? You fighting with the students ?

11. joshbob

20140227_1 (640x480).jpg Nah, just trying to move something too heavy and it tipped over on me. If it woulda landed on my head no harm would have been done LOL.

As far as the new room, I've decided not to build it, but to extend a 12x4 ft. platform level with the porch and then attach the ramp to that. This would go over the tree root and give me 12 extra feet (and extra time) to get the bike stopped and will only cost some plywood and some 2x4s. The room with the slab would have cost around $1800 in materials. Here's rough sketch of the new extension.
  12. FLHTbiker

Well be sure to add some concrete blocks to set your 4X4 in to keep moisture out of them.

image.jpg
  13. hotroadking

be sure to get 3/4 inch plywood
    Put center supports in like pictured
    above as well
  14. FLHTbiker

Here is what it should look like, just like building a deck

image.jpg

Or you can did a hole in the ground, pour your concrete and put your 4x4 attachment in. Just be sure you measure and level.
    image.jpg
  15. joshbob

Yup. Going into town this morning to get the supplies. I'll use concrete pier blocks, lags, deck screws, 4x4s, 2x4s and 3/4 ply. I'm not riding until the new ramp is built. I will get the boys in shop class to help me with the grunt work LOL.
  16. hotroadking

I"m guessing extra credit in class huh, be careful the press doesn't find out
    yer using child labor for a personal project LOL
  17. joshbob

20140301_1 (640x480).jpg Here is a rough sketch of the platform frame. The platform and the new ramp will be 10 ft. long (instead of 12). I put the pier blocks in the ground yesterday, no small task in this hard ground.
    Yup, extra credit for sure. I will probably only need one boy until it comes time to lay the plywood in. Headmaster says any students helping me will need the permission of their parents. Around here, that will be no problem, as they will gain some practical building experience.
    Yes, they are still technically "children", though most are bigger and stronger than I am.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

looks like a good plan about how I built my front deck except the wheel chair ramp
  19. joshbob

I've been making some progress on the ramp, but bad weather, busted ribs and badly sprained wrist are slowing things down. My boys have been helping me cut & assemble the framework in the school shop. They are a great bunch of kids and have gone out of their usual self-absorbed ways to help out :rolleyes:.
    Been two weeks since the bike flopped over on me and I don't feel much improvement. Good news is the weather is finally starting to break warmer. Today should hit the mid 60s and fluctuate between 60s and low 70s for about 5 days. Still cold at night, though.
  20. FLHTbiker

Sucks getting older, takes longer to bounce back. Glad yea got some young help.