1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Rider’s Advice!?!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Buy, Sell, Trade or Wanted' started by Ezahk, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Ezahk

Ezahk New Member

I recently got into bikes and what not. I have not type of experience although I did ride an older Honda 200. From my extensive researching I’ve read that the Suzuki 300/400 was a good beginner bike and so was the yami R3. But recently I was told the CBR 500 would be a good in between bike. I don’t want a bike that’ll get boring within a few month or years. Any advice??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alax Jordan likes this.
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Good advice. Any of those are good. All would be exciting. The cheaper the better.
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. Alax Jordan

Alax Jordan Guest

I think if you took every kind of safety when you got into a bike so there nothing to the problem. I must tell you that when you are riding a bike, you need a helmet, gloves, jacket, pant, shoe, earplugs, etc. Custom earplugs give you complete safety from the motorcycle's sound. That means a bike make up 70 decibels sound, which effects on your ear and you can lose your standard hearing capability. So please be careful, take care.
    Thanks
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

All the gear aside, regarding picking a bike, it's subjective to the rider, get one you are comfortable with getting off the sidestand, one you can hold up easily without being on your toes. Different styles ride differently, a cruiser has a lower center of gravity, if you're a shorter person you might find it's less intimidating than being on a tall sport bike.

In addition depends on where you'll be riding, a 300 pound guy on a 250cc bike is going to have difficulty getting up to speed, whereas a 120 pound guy on a 1100 cc bike is going to be like a jockey on a derby contender. Find the balance that fits your riding needs.

And take a course, even if you have ridden before it will help your insurance rates and give you a refreshers on techniques.
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. Ezahk

Ezahk New Member

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on taking one once I got the bike. If it helps any I’m 6’4 and about 178 pounds.

Red Rider likes this.
  6. hotroadking

Go around to dealerships near you, sit on different bikes you
    are interested in, hold them up, get a salesmen to hold the front end straight
    while you put your feet up, make sure it fits you. At your height a small bike is going to have less leg room.
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. Ezahk

Ezahk New Member

Thanks for the help guys!

8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Ditto what they said previously. At your height, you have to find a bike that fits you. "Crotch Rocket" bikes are nimble and quick, but may be tight on you. Cruiser style bikes are more adaptable to anyone's size. And just FYI, BMW bikes, especially the older ones, are made for taller riders. Read "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and you may be hooked on Beemer! If I were your size, I'd look around for an old BMW R-series bike, probably in the 600cc or so range, to snag cheap for my first ride. Not too hard to self-maintain, good seat position (for you) and a classic machine. You may want to keep it, even after going "bigger".

Good luck & ride free!
  9. Alax Jordan

Alax Jordan Guest

I think if you have no experience of riding a bike but if you have a lot of energy in your mind so you can do it.
    But, you must take proper safety. All kind of accessories you must use.
  10. Alax Jordan

Alax Jordan Guest

What happens if I put earplugs in my ear when I am riding a motorcycle? Besides the head and the body, it is also necessary for all of us to give the safety of our ear.
  11. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Alax, enough about ear plugs already! :wtf: Do you even ride, or just sell safety equipment? Tell us about your bike or favorite rides or something other than nagging us like a mother-wanna-be. I think I can safely speak for all here that we don't need another mother.:stop:
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The user "Alax" was a spammer or troll, sent him to the cornfield.
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. hotroadking

bootificated to assfartistan
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

PLay stupid games,win silly prizes.