1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New rider

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Grant734, May 16, 2021.

1. Grant734

Grant734 New Member

I want to get into riding. Always had quads. No dirt bikes. Not sure what to spend money on. A small used honda rebel to get started or cheap bobber(something in that area)? Or do i go all out and get something nice? I'm not a real big guy so some of the bigger harleys and others scare me for a first time rider. Any advice for a beginner? (Indian scout would be my dream bike. Just to give you an idea what im lookin for)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Hi grant. First time bike get a cheap beater. Something you can learn on and not be to worried if you drop it.
    There are tons of cheap 350cc hondas,yamaha,kawasakis etc... be a bummer to drop a 3-4-5000$ or more bike.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree get a smaller lighter bike, one where you fit, feet flat on the ground,
    take a course to get your certification, it will also lower your insurance rates.

Right now bikes are selling at full MSRP due to covid chip shortage, look around
    for a good used starter, sell it and move up.
  4. xcaret

xcaret New Member

5. xcaret

xcaret New Member

Since your a ATV rider, I'd say get a cheap dirt bike, and ride it out where you take your ATV. experiment with turns and riding in wet ground. Stop on steep hills ,try everything ,and once your confident on that bike ( now that you have ridden it to death) . sell what's left of it .and take lessons from the dealer who has the bike you want to own for the next decade or so.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Man, there are so many options to go with. To get into riding I would find the least expensive and in good operating condition that you can afford, ride the crap out of it, and then buy what it is that you want whatever it may be. One mistake that new riders make is they buy the biggest most expensive bike they can and then when they get it, they either don't like it for whatever reason and or they just don't like riding as much as they thought they would. Here is an example that I did for my dad.

My wife and I had a 98 Suzuki Intruder 800, her starter bike. My dad said that he wanted to buy a bike. He was going to buy a brand spanking new Indian before he had ever ridden anything. I suggested that we transfer the title of the 800 over to him so he could ride that for a season so he had the opportunity to find out what he could handle and if he even enjoyed riding. He rode the crap out of that bike for a season. The following season he purchased a different bike and rides the crap out of that one. My dad, wife and I enjoy a lot of miles and time together on the road together.

It's ultimately your choice what you do. I would hate to read another thread that says that bought an expensive bike but hated the bike and or riding in general. a lot of good advise given here.

Welcome to the Forum!
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Minor disagreement with xcaret - if you want to ride on the street, get a street bike. On a street bike, ya use the front brake first, as on the full traction of paved roads ya don't have to worry about skidding out and the front brake has the most braking power.

First bike should be one that you're not afraid of dropping, because you're very likely to.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  8. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

+1