1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New S.E. Air cleaner and download choices.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tomflhrci98, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

The stage one air cleaner kit for my 15 Ultra limited is $160 but you need a download that is $150 for the download and about $50 or $60 in labor. So the download is over $200 by itself.

I'm wondering if its just better to buy the Street Performance Tuner Kit for $249 and the tuner kit cable for $45 and total of $90 more. Than it all can be done in the comfort of my own garage.

I don't plan on doing cams and stuff on this bike. I did that with the last one and I'm trying to be done with all that modifying it every year chit and just want to ride, although I figured the air cleaner upgrade was easy-smeazy so that's why I'm doing it.

Any thoughts on the choice of tuner kit or the dealer to do a once only download?

Thanks all, Tom
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Tom, the tuner kit would certainly be my pick. The tricky part is not adding something that will void your warranty. Pomona Valley or Laidlaws might be able to advise you on what they will install without too much drama and cost.
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  3. Tomflhrci98

I never thought about voiding the warranty with the tunner kit. That's interesting. I'll check into it.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Warranty voids would only apply to something they could prove the download caused

Say your radio dies. They can't void replacement because you have it tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Tomflhrci98

Well finally last week I discussed the normal download with the Service Manager and he thought it would be OK to do the download with just SE slip-ons that I had and not needing to add any air-cleaner mods. The parts guys keep saying you can't do the download without changing the air cleaner but it's obvious they are just trying to sell stuff.

Anyway, the simple download that the dealer service does is actually very nice. I like the tip-in throttle feel, I like the way it feels like it smooths the engine out a little, I like the pull from 80 to 100mph (very noticeable here), and I like the way if decreased the exhaust popping by 70%. So it was quick and easy, cost was $215.00 and Pomona did a detail on my bike afterwards that I didn't expect so hats off to Pomona HD for doing that. Man was it clean. Too bad it didn't last :-o

Thanks all.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

That's opposite from what I've always heard. I was told and practiced that a new map was needed for the free'r breathing air filter and not slip-ons. Especially the standard SE slip-ons since they are street legal.
  7. Tomflhrci98

Your right if you buy an air cleaner you NEED the download and you don't with pipes. But, the pipes increase the popping or at least make it louder. So it's nice that one of the things this download does is decrease the popping. Now the other thing is, this download my be illegal in the eyes of the EPA without the air cleaner but that's just my theory.