1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by prroadking, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

That’s interesting Ultra Al, Avon’s are the only tire that I’ve run for about 15years. I run the Avon radial rear now and it kicks ass, 12K on it and it looks like it will get a 2K more. That’s with a couple of burn-outs…:cool:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

That's strange looking Al but you seem to be right look's to have just came off in the one area
  3. Dakota

Dakota New Member

I've ran Metzeler's on my 03RK for a few years now and get good mileage and they hold the road well. I switched to them as they supposedly grip better in the rain and it seems we ride in the rain fairly often.
    If you're putting them on yourself, Ron Ayers is a good place to get them.
  4. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

tires

Im Going On 12 Thousand Miles On The Original Tires On The Bike. Still Doesent Look Bad. Always Ride Double On The Bike. Oh Ya, I Have A 07 Ultra
  5. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Terry50, What pressures do you run in those Dunlops? I got about 10,000 on my originals before switching to Metzlers. Metzlers get about 9000 then have to get replaced, but a nice ride and good traction on my '05 R/K Classic.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

hanshog you go to the Metlzer web site 7 find the fitment chart for you bike & it will give you the presure for both front & rear tires My 03 E glide say's 38 front & 44 in rear , I double check them about once A month & get good milage from the tires
  7. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

I Went With Metz On My Low Rider, Completely Changed The Ride And Handling (to The Good) I Have About 8,000 Miles On Them And They Are Not Showing Any Wear Or Are Wearing Even, Three Others In The Group I Ride With Done The Same And Are Very Pleased. When I Have To Replace The Rubber On My 07 Screamin Eagle Rk I Will Go With Metz On It As Well. But The Main Thing On Which Evere One U Choose Is Tire Pressure.

Live Easy, Ride Hard

Dkin
  8. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

This is my second set of Metzlers. My front tire is fine. 22,000 miles on the last one. The back goes fast. I ride alot of 2-up and at 8000 to 9000 miles the center is gone. Was running 40 in the rear, but after checking Metzlers site, went to 46 to 50 on the rear, per there recommendations for 2-up heavy. (I have a Hoppe's fairing and a tour pack now, so it's weight is more of an Electra Glide.) It seems to be wearing a little faster now, so I've gone back to 42 to 44. I love the ride, cornering, wet handling(although it doesn't rain much in So. Cal where I ride the most), just don't get the milage I would like. I'm thinking the heat and road conditions have a lot to do with the milage on tires.

Attached Files:

9. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Hamshog

Since I Bought The Bike Last July, I Never Checked The Air In The Tires. They Might Have Checked It In The Shop When I Took It For The Checkup. Ather Then That, I Just Ride It Like I Stold It
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Terry if you value your health and life and family

Check the air before you ride.
  11. prroadking

prroadking New Member

tires

i appreciate you all for your input on recomendation of tires. have about 10k on rear dunlop. however i think i will switch to to metzler's for the better handling. riding in the north georgia mountains sounds like they will be an asset to my ride.:) :) :)
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i second that. tires will loose air normally.....i would hate to hear of your crashing due to low airpressure. tires should be checked at least once a week.....have fun!!:)
  13. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Amen to checking you’re the air in you tires.
    I lose about 2-5 pounds a month, I can imagine where TERRY50 tires are inflated at after 5 months.
    #1 cause of tire blow out is under inflated tires.
  14. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Prroadking, I Know Where Ball Ground, Ga Is At, My Daughter And Family Live In Dalls, Ga, And Have X Inlaws That Live In Your Area, From Jasper To Mareitta, One Of My Ex Brother In Laws Used To Race With Bill Elliot And Jody Ridley At Dixie Speedway Years Ago Before Bill Made It Big In Nascar, Then I Used To Go Down To Canton, Ga 2 Or 3 Times A Year And Race With Brother In Law And Nephew.

Dkin21

Live Easy, Ride Hard
  15. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

It's a small world. I live in Powder Springs.
  16. prroadking

prroadking New Member

ridin in georgia

when the weather is right we can all meet up and do some riding. new up here always interested in meeting people with the same interest. have a few local guys i met & ride with they showed me some beautiful places up here. it seems infinite up here no matter which road you take its never a dissapointment.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  17. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

We have hijacked this thread but I do come up your way often. I'm retired also so I like to ride through the week. Less traffic. When the weather warms a little, we need to try to meet up somewhere.
  18. prroadking

prroadking New Member

sounds like a plan just let me know. perhaps there are some nice rides south of me. looking forward to meeting
  19. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Back to the tire question, I used to always replace Dunlops with Dunlops, but the last 2 tire changes were Avon Venoms. To put it in a short, I'll be staying with the Avons. I love the way they handle. They don't wear too bad either as long as you're not too heavy on the throttle very often. Just my .02"s worth!
  20. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Slimjim: I like that avatar (I think that's what they're called) Make the choice pretty simple doesn't it!