1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New To Me

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 22, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, here are some pictures of my bike at the dealership almost as soon as I arrived there. Enjoy!!

Attached Files:

2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

But did you ride the Bike ?
  3. JohnnyBiker

Of course I test rode the bike....:D
  4. cardboard

Does it meet yer expectations of the kind of motorcycle you want. Do you like yer sporty or other bike better
    How did the cam feel.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Man please, he trailered it home. Give the guy a break he's gotta get used to it first.
  6. cardboard

How did this I don't like distractions on my bike come down to a Zumo 660.
    You got a SD card for it so you can have more room for things......

Do you know about this site Redneck.
    Join it and learn.

ZumoForums - Index
  7. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

Actually he rode the bike home, didn't get the trailer at all! I had the truck with the children and he got the new bike. Looked and sounded great! Got home and him and I took it out! Great ride and bike! CB, I think we'll have to take ya up here on that sissy bar, other then that this was a cool purchase and road trip! Customer service was outstanding at Hals too.
  8. JohnnyBiker

I like everything about this bike. I like the size of it, its handling, it looks. The cam I thought was OK. I thought the cam was impressive when I was at 50 mph and if I was in 5th then down shifted to 4th then shiit canned it the bike just launched. I think that the Andrews 37 cam is better in the higher speeds (rpm). I will say that I think that this bike needs a good tune as well. The throttle is just not as responsive as my Sportster is so I need to go take a look at. If I had to grade the performance of this bike and gave an A,B,C,D,F grade, I would give a B. But my grade overall is an A. The Road Glides performance grade compared to my Sportster is incomparable, just a completely different bike. Hope this helps??:D
  9. cardboard

Glad you got great customer service
    Kinda hard for the lady to ride on back with nothin to lean up against.
    A backrest of tourpack gives her more security and less stress.
    I had both for my 08. Once I put the tourpac on the wife said she liked it more. Never used the backrest. Same quick release kit that goes on the bike for the back rest will work with a quick release for a tourpack.
    I let the mount that stays on the bike go with the bike.
    The back rest and pad and all if seperate
    And with a fairing knockin off some wind, makes it a little nicer.
    Put some vented hard lowers on it and the package even gets better. And trust me they will grow on you.
  10. FLHTbiker

I don't like distractions on the bike and won't use it for phone. One reason I got it is I can also take it in the car or motor home. As for the bike around here it won't get much use, can't get lost out here in the west unless I go to L.A. Which ain't gonna happen anytime soon. So I'll have a GPS for the bike when I do trips and use it in the car. My other cheapie one for the car is small and jthey want 69.00 to upgrade it, man we only paid 95.00 for it. This one comes with a lifetime upgrade. One thing that POed me was my windshield bag wouldn't fit with the GPS. Took care of that throw, took one bag off and carefully cut it to just fit up next to the gps mount. Works like magic.:D
  11. cardboard

Another reason folks put the Woods TW6 cam in their bike. Has more pull on the botton end and better in the midrange.
    Baggers need a little more ump off the line.
  12. FLHTbiker

Well I stand corrected good for him. A passenger quick release back rest will be a must, don't want Jonny dumping yea off the back when he tries to do a wheelie. :D
  13. JohnnyBiker

CB, if I wanted all of that other stuff I would have either bought an RG Ultra or a Limited. Pm me a price that you are asking for that sissy bar and mounting kit that you have???
  14. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

It's not the worst riding without the back rest but I like to sit back and relax instead of having to hold on thinking I'm going to slip off. Long trips with no back rest would not be fun.
  15. cardboard

The backrest if the tallest one you could git from Harley.
    It ain't the one that is super low and just keeps you from fallin off the bike.
    It gives you something to lean up against and stability for the rear passenger.
    If you ride with it and then take it off you will really notise what I'm talkin about.

When HD sells this stuff, you go in and get the sissy bar. guess what No back pad, so you git the back Pad, guess what No plate and screws to hold it on. So you git the plate and screws.
    Guess what No mounting hardware. So you have to git the mountin Hardware for the bike and install it.
    Then slide the sissy bar in. Then you feel the comfort.

This is what I have , the sissy bar and the back pad and plate.

Detachable Passenger Sissy Bar Upright - Tall ('97-'08 models) | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

[​IMG]
  16. JohnnyBiker

I took it on 410 mile test ride..:roflmao::D I am so proud of this bike it is unreal..:cool: I was able to buy a bike that is so much more useful and suited to the kind of riding that I want to do. My Sportster will never leave the stable though. I guess it is getting to the point with me that I no longer buy bikes, I collect them.. :D
  17. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

Yep, that is the one that we have talked out getting! Sweet!!:D
  18. cardboard

What is happening is you are learnin more about how much more Touring bikes fits you and lets you do more riding with less stress on you.
    Now you are finding out why more of us ride baggers.
    They may not look like a sports race car.
    They are ridin in style. And when you git home yer not beat up as bad.
    Riding is much more easier on you and whoever is riding with you.
    Some things might not look cool. But the function they give you is much more than worth it.
    You could buy a OCC chopper and look cool Ride it somewhere and have a workout gittin there. And git all the Ohh and Ahhsssss. But yer butt will be beat.
    With a Bagger you ride in comfort and there is much more enjoyment.
    Makes life a lot easier on you.
    But for you to tell a newbie this, No. They want the sportiest , best lookin, fastest bike out there.
    They have to be the Bad Boy on the Block.
    When they ride for years, Its only a matter of time till they find their way to a Bagger. If you notise you will start notising more and more baggers now.
    Baggers are more funtional. You can tote things you need.
    And you can ride farther in comfort.
    Just learn to cruise around on them and not try to race with Pocket rockets.
    Got a neighbor that watched me git on dynas trying to leave the touring family.
    He seen me go threw several bikes and back to a Bagger.
    Threw me he got in to motorcycles.
    He got a deal on a B89X buell and rode it for about 4 months.
    Then he deceided he was gonna git a real bike.
    He said I should of gotten a Bagger from the start.
    He said I learned a lot watchin you try to go backward. I want to start where I need to be at the start. He got a Electra Glide Classic for his 1st bike.
  19. cardboard

Great place to start.
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

NICE bike JB, someone spent a of of money on this bike with all that chrome and work.

I'm really happy for you.. Welcome to the big boy club...You'll enjoy being a HOG member, like minded people who love to ride and talk bikes. We belong to 2 chapters and like them both, very nice people. :D

Don't change anything until you get used to what you have. Except maybe the handle bars, they look like they would be a reach for me. It'll never take off as fast as the Sporty, heck it weights almost twice as much.

Heated gear is what you'll need next, at least gloves and a jacket liner or vest liner, makes all the difference in the world.

I have a detachable passenger back rest for both my bikes, they are a must if your going to be hauling someone, it won't be long and the girls will be wanting to go for a ride with dad, check out prices before purchasing. lots of good deals on stuff right now. CB's is probably a good deal but barter with him.