1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New type tuner

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by cowboy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Why go to gear drive??You have the hydraulic set up now which is the way to go...your crank runout is probably outta spec to run gears anyway. Andrews TW 26 is a good torque cam in a 96"(1800-5200 RPM)and you could probably keep the TFI, just retune it.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Some people think the answer to the questions is to go gear drive. Old School.
    The new crankshafts are not forgiving enough for gear drive.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The bad news you probably can't go gear drive on your 09, HD runout is too excessive on the majority of the 07 and up bikes and gear drive isn't a good option, you'll have to check runout on the pinion shaft to see if it's in spec.

The good news, you don't need to go with gears because the 09 has a way better cam setup and chain tensioners, so you can take the $500 you'd spend on gears and get the heads ported...

As for a cam, woods 6-6 with a +4 gear is great for a heavy bike or lots of torque down low. If you're only going to put in cams, filter, pipes then I would stick with a lower lift stock spring cam (.575 is the internet approved max lift on stock valve springs) .540 is probably a better number.
  4. REDHEAD

REDHEAD New Member

THANKS for your posts to my question...

I 'm thinking to leave well enough alone for now,,,, I'm happy with the FEEL and when I tire I'll probably go with the suggested "stick with the new system" cam n head for torque.....

chain-hyd tens. MUST be working out good or I would hear a bad report... WHAT SAY YOU?

I've heard nothing BAD other than crank run-out problems...

why would excessive crank run-out not bother the chain cams? (chain is forgiving? where gears are not?) ?answer?

YES old school is where i am and I know I have a lot to LEARN on the newer system...EVEN THO" old school, i like what I see in the NEWER system change...Just didn't know why chain n not gear...

I KNEW that HD needed to put in a better oil pump to solve the sumping oil in crank area: as i went with feuling pump n lifters a long time ago in my dyna 2000 ...I liked the oil pressures and volumes that pump supported..

NEVER in my bike using 20/50 red line with a jagg oil cooler had oil temps over 200* even in AZ. where I spent time@95/105*....12/15 lbs when idle 1100 & 40 at running above 2200

NOW me @95/105* put a lot of water in n peed 0 out.
    I use ONLY REDLINE in my bikes
    20/50 redline
    MTL chain case
    shockproof heavy gear oil

signed....REDHEAD
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Runout is only an issue with gears,
    Although some are concerned with crank bearings in case, but unless you are going big stroker then it's probably not an issue

No issues with the new tensioners, 3 years out there.

Cam changes are easier with the new system, and you can't use pre-07 cams with the new plates. You no longer have to press bearings on and off the cams/camplate.

Stay under 570 and you should be fine with the stock springs on the heads

The Woods 6-6 will give you a good increase without head work or any major engine work.