1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Not Charging

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bharris, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bharris

bharris New Member

I have an '03 Ultra Classic and last weekend coming home from a trip, my check engine light came on and I noticed my volt gauge was reading 11 volts, it normally runs 14.5V. I cut off all possible electrical accessories and made it the 50 miles home, battery was down to about 10.5V. A friend has a bike just like mine so we swapped the voltage regulator and the battery, still it's not charging at all. I haven't checked the stator yet to see if it's bad but will when I find my Ohmmeter. Can anyone tell me what else to check if they've had this prob? Also, a friend told me the Harley will not run without a battery like most Japanese bikes, a good thing to know if you start having battery problems. I appreciate any help anyone can give so I don't have to take it to the dealer and pay out the wazzoo to have it fixed. Thanks!
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you look in the service manual, it has a section for testing the charging circuit.....no, the new harleys wont run with out a battery.....they have alternators, not mags or generators.......it sounds like the alternator is not functioning......seeing as how you changed batteries and regulators....or a loose connection in the charging circuit.....hope this helps a bit........good luck:)
    chuck