1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Not Happy w/Dyno

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by BONECOLLECTOR, Jun 13, 2008.

1. BONECOLLECTOR

BONECOLLECTOR New Member

I'm new to cruisers and Harleys. I was previously a sport bike rider. In January of this year I purchased for the first time a brand new 2007 VRSCAW (V-Rod). Two days after my purchase I visited my local Harley Davidson (HD) to get ideas for customizationt. I spoke to an HD salesman, who owned and road a V-Rod, to get advise on a louder pipe. He recommended V-mod. Then he very strongly encouraged me to have my bike Dyno'd instead of using a power commander. I knew nothing about a Dyno before meeting him; however, his deep sincerety caused me to do it. The Dyno cost me $850, not including the pipe which was extra. After having my bike for a month I realized that I was stopping for gas twice a much as my fellow Harley riders. I was averaging abou 27 mpg. I went on the internet to several Vrod and Harley chat rooms and asked why. I found that the Dyno cut my gas mileage nearly in half. I WAS LIVID AND STILL AM! This result was never mentioned to me by the salesman. Had I known that my gas mileage would worsen by 50%, especially with gas prices as high as they are, I would have never gotten the bike Dyno'd. Now it doesn't benefit me to ride my bike to work instead of my car. Can someone tell me if there is a way to reverse this Dyno mapping and reset my bike, what are the cons. . .and how much would it cost?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

did you say $850 not including the pipe? you got robbed & it doesnt sound like you got a good dyno toboot , I would take it back & let them know just how they screwed up , with you mpg cut in half , how's the power range they might have set it up to run balls to the wall & thats it , but the 850 sounds way to high for a dyno mine getting done on monday for a lot less like around $200 for all dyno runs & remapp
  3. BONECOLLECTOR

BONECOLLECTOR New Member

Cowboy,

I'm having a coronary reading your reply. I have to conduct some research on the cost of dyno's. I went to a different Harley dealer this weekend to inquire and they all seem to protect the work of the other dealers. I was told that the dyno was necessary because of the pipe addition I added. The price is vintage Harley.

Bones
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

bone c I just had my E Glide on the dyno it took 4 hrs to fine tune it to my specs A totol of $260, But it was at a Indy shop & the machanic know's his HD from knuckel heads to the Fat head TC 88
  5. rjbossman

rjbossman New Member

bad dyno operator

WE won't even talk about $$$ you spent .Did they install a HDracetuner ?
    When properly tuned you should get better milage and performance.I own
    and operate a dynojet dyno 9years now and I have seen first hand that just because a shop has a dnyo doesn't mean the know how to use it Let me know what tuning software you have maybe i can help