1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Not supporting the V-Rod?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by The Tourist, Nov 10, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I cannot say that I like the V-Rod much either, but if HD would make it as the pictures that HRK posted, then I would seriously consider it.

This thread came way off track with talking about Sportster vs. anything.

I would not buy a V-Rod because I just think that it ugly and I do not like how I fit on it. I can remember when it first came out I thought it was really cool, but not anymore, at least not in its present form.

HD is a marketing genius. They do not make their bike to exactly what the customers are looking for but make the add on's so they can be purchased through them which gives them a much higher profit margin that what they have on their bikes because of their union. They know that people will buy their stuff as is because, well, it is a Harley. A V-Rod just does not scream that to me, and obviously to masses either. Their best selling bike is the Street Glide, I would take the V-Glide over the Street glide any day...
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep I to sat on one & did'nt care for the feel at all , there fast , heck real fast, But just not my cup of tea so to speak , Had a sporty for years way back when 68 model had a good time with it , rode a shovel super glide for many years had a lot more fun with it , could change a few parts & paint it once a year like having a new bike ever year now have to 03 E Glide TC 88 love the bug catcher & radio & the ride :D next bike will be a Heritage when i can find a good used one & have saved enough pennies to pay cash (evo or TC 88 0
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I went on a ride thoughout the country around here today with a couple other friends. I gotta say I really love the Ultra, hands down the best bike I have ever owned and rode. I've owned and rode smaller bikes in the past but sheet mon I was a lot smaller then to.
  4. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

Ya' know, that's another issue we should also cover. Not just the weight of the bike, but the weight of the rider.:D

I go to the gym every day, but at the start of the riding season I got serious about my weight. Like lots of guys I get reflective on birthdays with "round numbers." I turned 60, and the mental gymnastics began.

Not about work and that crap, but about fun and enjoying this phase of my life. I lost just short of sixty pounds and got active in life, to the hilt.

I always missed those little Sportsters and the pure fun of cycling. I figured "now or never," and the mods to my big bike were complete. I got some extra unanticipated money and then quit making excuses.

Best decision I ever made. For me it's not just the bike. I ride more. I smile more. And the idea of a Sportster is just the same now as it was forty years ago. They finished the winter mods to the little girl this week, and I'm already planning for the new riding season.

Isn't that what we say we want out of life as bikers?
  5. The Tourist

Guilty as charged.

I had just taken the bike out for a spin that day, and I was corresponding with BI63 about the new shocks. I ducked out into the garage and snapped the pic.

I can assure you the thing has been detailed (and ridden several more times) since that photo. In fact, she's now down at the dealership, tuned and adjusted and polished--already for a long winter's nap...
  6. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Some people enjoy detailing almost as much as ridin -- mine got washed in the rain on the way home yesterday :):) Still got some bug splatter on the fairing but that can wait till spring :cool:

Pic below is from a calender shoot last November and after havin 3 months of from ridin after back surgery
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Usually end up in Garage on Friday night,
    TV on, wash bike and put it up on the Sears Jack

Go over it and check things out, less to check on the Oh niner

the ol Softail required a bit more checking.. It liked to "loosen things" on it's own LOL

In my mind it's not just about being clean and sharp its a maintaining ritual, you'll find things you need to see, cut or hole in belt, worn part of tire, loose bolt or nut, things you wouldnt normally see until it's too late...
  8. popeye

popeye Active Member

I agree, if people over 40 will give up just a few hours of their week to work out they will be suprised how much better their quality of life will be. While I don't have time to go every day I do usually make it 4-5 days per week. If I miss even a week or two I notice those little aches and pains that I used to have before I started going starting to creep back up on me. And I'd always rather have the sore of a good work out over those nagging little couch potato pains.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep at 59 I work out like I used to A 12 oz curl & reach for the lighter to lite my smokes :D
  10. popeye

popeye Active Member

Oh I don't live like a monk. But I might recommend stepping up to a Tall boy every now and again to promote "Muscle Confusion".:D And maybe a pony keg every once and awhile.
  11. The Tourist

I don't either, really. But for the past +30 years I cut out the silliness. You cannot slug down several shots of tequila to settle your stomach after wolfing down two bacon cheeseburgers and expect to live into your fifties.

But to be fair, I'm retired. If I go to the gym early or late the decision is mine.

It's no sacrifice. I eat better, I feel better and I even ride more. Admittedly, I lost a bit of grunt on the top end of my bench-press, but if that's the only negative aspect, I'll take it.
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

You're right about an experienced rider making a Harley fly around corners. When I had my '07 Dyna LowRider, no one (BMW RT, Suzuki VStrom, Honda CBR 900, FJR 1300) could hang with me in the curves. They all thought I had it race tuned, but it was box-stock (factory lowered) and built to handle.

My StreetGlide is the same way, but I do have to grind the boards hard to make it go as fast as the Dyna around curves. If it had mid-pegs, I could easily do it. Even as it is now, the other guys I ride with just won't challenge me on a curvy road anymore.
  13. FLHTbiker

:D I love it when the floor board pinch your feet, then you know your pushing the envelope. :)
  14. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Today is a very sad day for me. today when I woke up I saw some white stuff on the ground. Today I am going to have a funeral as my riding season is now complete. I think I need some bon bons. :mad::(
  15. steveb

steveb Active Member

Up in Cambridge we already have 3 inchs on the ground and we are supposed to get 10-12 inchs. Riding is officially done now salt trucks are out in full force now.
  16. The Tourist

It's raining here in the Madison, Wisconsin area and the temperature has been slowly getting colder all week. We have been warned of snow flurries, but not much of that will stick. I put my bikes away just in time.

However, both of them have already been modified, tuned and detailed. They are sitting in storage. It's hard to grasp that it might be five months until I can ride them again.
  17. FLHTbiker

Cool here but were still riding. Going out tomorrow :)
  18. steveb

steveb Active Member

Thats waht makes riding so enjoyable up here if the weather holds we can ride for 6-7 months. This year I was shorted about 2 months of riding .I couldn't start until mid May due the the surgery on my hand and wearing a cast for a month. Now this weather takes awy 2 weeks that I have ridden. I usually put my bike away Thanksgiving weekend. There is always next season something to look forward to any way.
  19. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I wouldn't mind only 5 months of winter, but up here in the mountains (my house sits at 8,000 ft) it snows about 8 months of the year. Funny thing is, the weather sometimes gets confused on which month it is; like some 60 degree days in December, or 4 ft. of snow in May.

Heck, I keep the bike on a battery-tender all winter for those unexpected days above 40. I also have heated jacket and pants liners, so it's not so bad.
  20. FLHTbiker

I think I would move if I had to put up with that much snow all winter long. Bad enough with rain but you can ride in the rain but not in the snow.