1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Not supporting the V-Rod?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by The Tourist, Nov 10, 2010.

1. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Almost forgot we were talking about V-Rods. I like them a lot, but want to see the platform expanded to include a touring model. That is, a factory touring bike, not someones one-off. I think the V-Rod is an important investment for H-D. The old school riders also need to embrace this model to encourage H-D to keep it's hand in the r & d of new technology beyond air cooled, push rods, etc.

I'd like to see both lines further developed so we can have a choice as to what rides we want. Otherwise, we will become extinct.

P.S. Sorry, but I also think the Sporty has become too crude and unrefined (even the XR1200) to compete with the rest of the world.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I agree a touring model in the V-rod line would be a welcome and would help the V-rode line up. I would probably ride a V-rode before I would a sporster.
    How about a V-rod engine in a Sporster, naw still be to small. :D
  3. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

If I were king...........
  4. steveb

steveb Active Member

It makes a guy really appreciate the 6 months of riding weather we have. If I could ride year around maybe I would ride as much.
  5. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

Hey, I like your twisted thinking!:D

But seriously, sometimes you have to wonder if MoCo knows anything about mid-weight motorcycles. There's a lot of clients out there searching for something decent between an Iron 883 and a CVO land barge. Why can't there be something well made?

Whether you like them or hate them, why isn't there a realistic V-Rod, or a CVO Sportster or just something--or anything--to compete with the middle weight metrics?

Frankly I think "The Muscle" is a Franken-bike. But in the weight class that they need the most I'm sure that less is more.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Vee Rhod is a different animal and designed to get different folks in the showroom JMO

Sporty is a good bike but the typical (not all but typical) buyer isn't looking to plunk
    down the green a CVO sporty would run, that's why you see them in Baggers, $40K
    is a lot of green, a CVO sport would be at $20K double the starting price and
    probably not many folks would do it...
  7. FLHTbiker

Was down in Albany OR today and stopped at the HD dealer there. Didn't have much for accessories and about 10-12 bikes. Several Sporsters so I looked at em, man are they small bikes. I didn't even sit on one cause it looked like my knees would be in my throat.:eek: They had cut prices on em to, must not be selling many I guess.
  8. The Tourist

I think my 48 is about the same overall size as the old CB450 Hondas I knew.

But you have to suffer on Madison streets to know why that's a good thing. You cannot believe all of the construction and one-way streets. Sections of the slab were narrowed and slowed down this summer.

The worst section I traveled over was Hwy 51 near the old Beltline. Hunks of pavement are missing and the repairs are terrible. In making deliveries it was great to be able to scoot around problem areas.

In fact, about 10 miles east of Madison a section of I-94 was down to one lane.

(Here's a size comparison of the two bikes.)

[​IMG]
  9. FLHTbiker

That's why I didn't like the Honda 450 either, to small. When I ride I want a larger bike between my legs. Those who live out west and own a sporster don't ride much or very far and miserable to carry a passenger. Gas tanks are to small, hold everyone else up cause they got to stop every 75-90 miles for fuel. Can't cruise the roads for long distances before the rider has to get off and stretch their legs.
    Maybe their good for cities. I don't ride in the city and don't want to or need to. I live out west with open roads no tolls and can ride for literally hundreds of miles without ever hitting a super slab. :D
  10. The Tourist

Ya' know, I just learned something from your post I probably should have realized earlier. Now follow me:

I cannot live your life, and you cannot live mine.

If you look at Black Betty you'll notice that she is a San Francisco custom, not the traditional 'California dreaming' bike most folks think of when we talk choppers and bobbers. She can't be, she wouldn't work.

As her modifications started, I saw a documentary on the San Fran Angels. One of them commented that their bikes looked different. They had bigger fuel tanks, better suspensions, motors with more torque than top end, etc. He stated that due to his city's topography, a "dreaming chopper" would not only be a pain to handle but also break down.

The City of Madison is a poor man's San Francisco. And like our western counterpart, we have hills, narrow streets, numerous one way roads, a clogged downtown era, et al. With this in mind, I finished Betty in that style, and I'm glad I did.

But I had to also consider my job. My most distant client is a 42 mile round rip. I carry stuff. I want to limit the amount of premium gas I buy. It would be great to carry my gym stuff. I have to lock it up some times when the bike is out of sight. And lots of the costs and charges are tax deductible.

That sort of bike has to have some form of engine that can go up on the slab, but the overall size is still a consideration. A CB450 on steroids with a rack would work perfectly!:D

Granted, a Sportster 48 still has flaws. A poor suspension and limited mileage come to mind.

To bring this debate full circle, what are the biggest complaints mentioned by V-Rod owners? Yikes, it's the same thing! And when a member here commented that a V-Rod engine in a Sportster would be great, I agreed.

Some of MoCo's clients need and want a smaller bike. Unless they get used to the idea that people with money walk out of their dealerships to other brands, they had better wake up.

I am one of those guys! I lived through the AMF fiasco. I bought two GoldWings and a smaller V-twin, a CX-500 I think it was called. And notice I did the same thing. Big bike for the highway, little bike for the crazy Madison streets.
  11. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I guess I am confused as to why everyone says that the Sporty has a bad suspension? When I ride mine, then go my buddies 06' Heritage, I cannot truly feel that bid go difference. I am not joking on this. I am also not kidding when I say that when I take WhipLash out for a long ride, I am not beat up at all. I feel just fine. The only complaints that I have about the Sporty is that they are a little too top heavy. As far as handling and that goes, how can one complain? You just lean slightly and the bike goes where you need it to. The range of the Sporty is questionable of course because of the small tank, easy fix.

TT-you were talking about the kind of bike that people want or need. This is a key statement. For me, all I need is my Sportster. It runs top notch, it is comfortable, I can go about 200 miles before refueling, it looks nice ( it looks nice because I wanted it too). People need to purchase a bike based on so many different characteristics. The V-Rod, as I view that bike, was never intended to be a long range cruiser. This is so very evident in its design and power plant. If I want a bike to go long distances, I will eventually get a Street Glide or a Softail. Would you not agree that each bike that MoCo builds has a specific purpose or intention behind it?? The V-Rod was made to go fast, sleek design, which is kind of aerodynamic, it is not, in my opinion made to be a cruiser.
  12. hotroadking

we we are all old fat bagger guys
    everything has a bad suspension LOL
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

:roflmao::roflmao:
    that's why we have those big wide soft seats.
  14. hotroadking

now someone that gets it LOL
  15. FLHTbiker

Amen to that, the bigger and softer the better.

Interesting I wouldn't know or care what a San Francisco custom looks like.
  16. hotroadking

well you know how environmentally nuts they are in norcal

so the new....

Wood Glide