1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Not supporting the V-Rod?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by The Tourist, Nov 10, 2010.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I might pick one up and baggertise it....
  2. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

I've actually wondered how much cuttin' and weldin' it would take to get the V-Rod engine (and perhaps part of the frame and motor mounts) into some current big-twin. After all, the overall idea would be the same as trying to fit the X-Wedge engine into a current frame.

We already build customs from the ground up, I'm surprised that someone hasn't already managed to mate a V-Rod engine into a bagger.
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

From what i have seen this excatly who they are looking at.
    15 years ago I wanted my son to get a Harley, he said that is an old mans bike and bought a Ducati, now that he is in his mid 30's he is thinking a traditional Harley looks pretty good.
    a fellow I know pretty well owed a Vrod for about 3 years put over 50,000 trouble free miles on. He said it ran great just was not to good in the twisties or at making U turns. He used it mostly for long distance riding. Now he has a fatbob I think and is looking at a new street glide.
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

check out Cycle Vision they have a kit to make a bagger out of a Vrod.
    Cycle Visions > Road Rod
    they have been making them for at least 6 years.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

X-Wedge is another example of getting to the party late, or being
    ahead of your time. Perhaps SNS is looking forward toward more EPA and
    the wedge gives a lot of options, it's quiet and it's very very powerful,,

Right now I wouldnt' waste any money on putting the Rod in a bagger frame.

There are several glide kits that just bolt on the vrod frame, Rather spend time modificating the bars, pegs and painting and riding...
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I can relate to the Ducati story but I'm now and old man and the Ducati was taking me to the poorhouse. The one VRod I like was the one with the mid controls and a more sporting geometry..I had the Ducati at the time and probably should have gone with the VROD instead of trying to keep the Ducati on the road. I remember when they had them at the demo rides at Sturgis and a lot of the Harley guys were used to lots of torque which wasn't quite the same on the VROD..hence guy were stalling them and a number of them were falling over. I hated the placement of the forward controls. The bike felt clumsy to me..great engine though
  7. The Tourist

There we agree. I would point out an analogy that the last few Buell motors would have made a great contribution to modern Sportsters. Anther chance gone for good.

That's how it felt to me, kind of like a long front end and no fork brace. It seemed that if you didn't have constant control on the bars the front wheel would "flop."

Granted, if I'd have spent some serious time on the thing that feeling probably would have gone away. But like you, I think it's the engine that has merit, not the total bike.
  8. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Now, now.... don't be so rough on Tourist. He is accustomed to riding a Sporty, so everything else is gonna feel heavy and awkward.

Although, Tourist, you said you also have a Dyna, and the suspension on the V Rod is the exact same as the Dyna, plus it is lighter than the Dyna. And I always felt that the Dyna handles curves like a Ferrari.
  9. The Tourist

Not on mine. I replaced that crap with stuff that actually works. That original front fork could barely hold up the Sportster they stole it off of.

On the rear I now run a better swing arm, progressive shocks and a solid wheel.

I can actually turn corners now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

That's a beautiful bike, Tourist! Are those new forks from the CVO Dyna offered a couple years ago? I had the standard 49mm "shortened" forks on the Low Rider, and thought they were excellent. The Low Rider had diff. (not just shorter) rear shocks than the other Dynas also.

By the way, Sporty's have 39mm front forks, where all the Dynas come with 49mm on 2006 and later.