1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oh, so that's what a road looks like at night.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by The Tourist, Oct 23, 2010.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

I'll have to visit the dealership for that. Black Betty is already in cold storage, and all I said during fabrication was to "use a brighter bulb."

You can always call "Fish" at Capital City Harley in Madison, Wisconsin. Good ol' boy. He knows Betty--and just about every other Harley part. He's the best service writer I've seen.

Yes, the Dyna is Black Betty. Even the shop calls her "Betty." I don't know if I've mentioned it but the little Sportster is named "Spinner." If you're an old biker, you get the joke...;)
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sylvannia Silverstar h4 or
    if you have a different H designation bulb
    any wal-mart auto part section has them

about as close to HID as you can get and they are bright

Might consider a set of frame mounted passing lamps on
    a separate switch, they will light up the road, and form
    a nice triangle of light for oncoming cars easier to be seen.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I re-wired my front spots to stay on when the brights are turned on. Helps a lot.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

man I am not sure that I would be able to mount any type of lamp to my frame. I think that it would kill me. :gah: I can handle a different lamp that is in its correct location, that is about it. Just out of curiosity, how would you mount that exactly?
  5. hotroadking

This is just an example, there are lots of frame mounting options
    but Kuryakyn does have some good stuff a frame mounted chrome or
    blacked out mount, low, down by the road, tuck them in Not high up like in this picture
    could even mount them inside the frame vs outside...

Click Here

[​IMG]
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I seen a set of these lights mounted under the foot boards of a dresser towards the front & they are bright as all get out , about $100, each on there web site , I talked to the owner & he showed them to during the day & still could see them on a store front about 15 ft away :cool:
  7. JohnnyBiker

Ok, so would you put a set of these on a Sportster? I like the design, but for how my bike looks, I am scared to death that they will just make my bike look like crap! What do u think?

Quick question. The higher the number of the bulb the brighter right? Like an H4 is brighter than an H3? I am looking at this for a different light.

Kryakyn - Harley - ADJURE: Wave Cut Tri-Bar Custom Headlamps with Black Dot
  8. hotroadking

No H4 and H7 are different models or types of bulb fit...

When you open up the headlight check the bulb that
    goes into the housing it will have an H designation.

Swap it for a Sylvannia Silverstar of the same number.

As far as looks, nothing Kuryakyn makes looks like crap
    as far as the part, it's all good stuff, only you would know
    if you like it. If you want to hide them find a set that is
    black, or paint them black, mount under the pegs to the frame

You should talk with them or Phil at California Phil's Concordia, KS (785) 243-9991
    to see if he knows what will bolt up and be "hidden"
  9. The Tourist

You bring up a very important concern, and that's the idea of "looks."

I have nothing against the idea of 'bling,' whether that's chrome or paint or fancy leather trim. However, at the end of the day that part has to function.

In truth I thought Harley's new headlamp was ugly when I first saw it, but it did perform, and my bike is better for that modification.

And while the looks of the thing have begun to grow on me, the performance has proven to function for my driving. And that's also an important issue, did the part enhance my driving style.

In my case it did. In the area of Wisconsin in which I reside there are numerous rural roads. Either I will be out at night working or using the smaller bike for jaunts on less traveled roads. This light solves my concerns.

But just changing my headlamp for the look of "style" was not the driving force here. If so, I would have put the fancy light on the fancy bike.

Do you remember the first generation of those high intensity car headlamps? Drivers of those ricer cars replaced their headlamps because the new ones looked blue and were 'cool.' That's a lousy excuse to modify a safety concern.

Glad you brought this up.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Johnny you can but the two small lights like in the pic without the bar ,Thats what the guy I was talking about did ,& had them hidden under his floor boards & unless you looked you did see them :cool:
  11. JohnnyBiker

I think you missed it when I said that I, like you do a lot of night riding. Yes, looks are important to me but is not the make or break of if I do it or not do it. I live in a rural area of Minnesota so Ihave the same concerns as you do.
  12. The Tourist

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like this was a deal-breaker, just a concern. Not just on motorcycles, but when something doesn't look right, fit right or function right--even if it's just a pair of pants--the thing winds up gathering dust.

This light cost almost 400 bucks, and let's face it, it looks odd.

But my goal was to secure superior equipment to safely drive anytime and anywhere I wished to go. The beam is incredible, and the looks are growing on me.
  13. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Since a StreetGlide doesn't come with auxilary lights like the other touring Harleys, I had to find a different light to meet my needs. When I installed the h.i.d. light on my bike, I didn't do it cuz I thought it looked cool. I wanted more and brighter light.
  14. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

Tourist, I read the thread but saw no reference to what your LED headlight is. What is it? Where did you get it? What part number?
  15. The Tourist

I just went down to my local Harley dealer.

It's a 5 3/4" LED headlamp, multi-fit number 73273-11.
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

17. The Tourist

This is what I bought. You'll notice that Harley's bar-n-shield logo is on the box. It has a multi-fit part number. You should be able to order it from any dealer. If worse comes to worse, have my dealer send one to your dealer. Sorry I can't help.

[​IMG]
  18. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I'll have to check that out. I hope it works better than most of the LED lights for shing at something far away.
    I have a set of LED driving lights. very bright to oncoming cars but only shine a few feet ahead.
  19. The Tourist

I haven't had a single problem with that. In fact, I think this light has been designed with that in mind.

For example, I see things along the sidewalk. To me this means that the beam is "diffused." I remember the old pink bulbs which threw a strong, narrow beam with almost no illumination to the side. Great way to get hit by a deer with no warning. (I think guys ran those simply because you could get 6-volt bulbs for older models or some magnetos.)

I also have seen those bright blue headlamps on ricer cars. That's not what this lamp looks like.
  20. JohnnyBiker

I forget to ask, does the Sporty have enough spots in the box to wire that in or do I need to get creative???