1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil Coolers

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 28, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I took the bike out for a ride and i have to say that bike is wicked. I kept an eye on the oil temp and it never got over 200. I guess I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would ,200 is not high....

If you are in the 250's then you have issues.

MN is not hot, sheet we get 100+ days here , high 90's
    and humidity all the time, crap right now it just started the early evening
    drenching!
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

:D 75 here with 44% humidity, :) and that's at 5 PM
  4. JohnnyBiker

MN does get hot and very humid. It just doesn't stay like that constantly, we see 98 with 70% humidity. :(
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

that sound almost cool JB try 100 & 100% humidity here on the rust coast aka gulf coast hell I just walk out to barn to feed the horses & look like I just plowed the lower 40 :eek:
  6. Chrome

Chrome New Member

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Per-form filter/cooler is another type...claims to lower oil temps 4-7%. A buddy of mine has one on and says his oil isn't as black as it was before when he changes it, that's about all the info i have on them.
    Buell heads and cams would wake it up...a set of Andrews N2 cams and a street port is another option. Cams for Sporties are a little expensive since there are 4 of em. you can sink a lot of coin in an engine, but how fast do you really wanna go and how much reliability do you wanna give up....everything's a trade off.
    http://www.perf-form.com/products.htm
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Chrome there real proud of it
  9. hotroadking

If you want to run one and it makes you feel better go for it, I'm not saying don't do it, but that in 90% of the time you probably won't need it but it's not going to hurt.

The Jagg coolers are very good, just get the adapter with the thermostat so your engine is protected both ways, otherwise you need a cover for the cooler on cold days to keep it from keeping the oil too cool...

I have one on my 124, but it's a big engine, puts out tons of heat on any day, and it's on a softail where I sit on the oil bag. Chets Nuts roasting on an open fire is appropriate for this bike... The cooler drops the temps 20 degrees, running syn oil helps drop temps further....

The other thing is proper tuning, this will help temps most, usually the timing is retarded too much at idle and low RPM and this creates significant heat in the rear cylinder.

Increasing timing a little in these areas with a programmable ignition will help reduce heat as will having the carb jetted properly (ie not too lean)
  10. JohnnyBiker

I think that I will wait with the cool, but I am going to bite the dust on the synthetic oil, I will try it. Yeah I don't want a cam that is going to make this scream, but I do want it to where it pulls a little better through the mid range, that is the are to where I think the bike is lacking. I spoke to HD about the Buell heads a while when I was getting the engine together. For my bike they have to be pre 03, then the other challenge is to find them in Natural aluminum color.
  11. hotroadking

12. hotroadking

duble post that was weird.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  13. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for the web page, I already dropped them an email witha question.
  14. hotroadking

Bill is the porter/head working dude and Amy his wife answers the phones and knows her stuff as well.. Tell um HRK sent ya and it will cost you less than double LOL
  15. JohnnyBiker

At this point I am not inquiring about heads. I am toying around with the idea of doing a case bore so I can convert my bike to an 88ci. If I do this, it will not be until after I get my new bike so the wife has something to ride also, and if I do it at all. So far the price to do this is at about 2k, not sure I want to spend that kind of money and have to be worried about reliability all of the time.
  16. more power

more power New Member

I've got to chime in here. There are people that have forgot more than I know about this here but, Fan the oil cooler, on top of what has already been said it just one more place for oil to leak. You are wasting your money if you stroke and cam yer ride without doing any head work and boring or bigger jugs. A couple inches on the bottom end is great but you need to compensate your top end to. Just remember the faster you can suck and blow the better. I've seen many smaller displacement motors that were built correctly with parts that complimented each other out run, run longer and be more reliable than a motor that was not.
  17. quietone

quietone Active Member

Someplace in some harley owners manual I read that if you could not find harley oil to run a high grade diesel oil. With this in mind I started running Rotella diesel oil in the bikes and they seem to do very well with it even with 100k on the one. Last year I had a leak fom the front rocker on the wide glide and it still only took a quart of oil in about 700 miles when I went to sturgis with it. See what happens this year but I change oil every 3000 miles and with that many miles on it, of course ya know it's always been babied..., The Rotella has a high sulfur contant and always looks good when drained.
  18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

JB - You did say that your wife is going to be the rider on this at some point in the future? I think you might to talk to her about going overboard on the engine. If she's not an experanced rider this bike could put her in a jam until she learns how control the beast.:)
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Good point
  20. JohnnyBiker

I have had some head work done on my bike, so that is why I am not concerned with the heads at this point. When I get into it further and discover that what I did is not enough, then I will deal with the issue then. I have already been talking to HD about the Buell heads that everybody raves about, so I am well aware of what they are capable of.

I guess you got me, I cannot argue with you about if the engine work is done right that it will last a long time. Isn't that the ultimate goal? This is why I am talking to people to find out what needs to be done. Research will save you more money than buying cheep parts and labor, I do not care, to an extent, what I spend as long as the end result is what I want and to the highest standard.