1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil Filters

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ctd, Jan 15, 2006.

1. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You got to start a new thread for that, a subject change :D

I run the HD cooler because I'm in FL, it's hot and when it's not hot its dang humid and really hot.

I have a 116 stroker motor so I prefer to add every ounce of assistance to cool the motor, I know how warm the top of the rockers get and the oil bag being on a softail.

IMHO the cooler does help it keeps temp in the proper operating range, when you stop (The favorite myth of the cooler foe) it helps because it kept your motor cooler on the way up to the stop, and it helps cool the oil faster on the way once you're rolling again.

Do you need one . maybe
    Do you want one. maybe

You do want one with the thermostat. Oh and the reason IMHO that hd's don't come with them is:

1) Increase in base cost of bike to build
    2) Additional parts to assemble
    3) One less accessory to sell
    4) you don't always need them

IF you live in hot areas, or have a high perf motor it's probably a good idea.
  2. ctd

ctd New Member

Are they a dealer item or is there an aftermarket supplier? I live in an area where the upper 90's and over 100 in the summer is common place. Winters are cool to cold, (by Calif. stds) so it might be a worthwhile investment.
  3. MarginCallDue

MarginCallDue New Member

Trouble removing my oil filter

I've decided to try my own oil change after taking out a 2nd morgage after my 500 mile service at my local Harley dealership. Drained everything ok but when my attempt to remove the filter failed even after purchasing an after market socket type wrench failed I've gotten frustrated. Could it be the cold temps here in the northeast? Should I try a hair dryer on the threads to help loosen it. It seems like dealer used an impact wrench to install it! The manual claims to hand tighten only them a 1/4 turn more. Any tips for removing this imovable object short of dymimite. Thanks for any and all suggestions for a rookie! I have an 05 883XL Sporty. :eek:
  4. ctd

ctd New Member

Mine acted like it was welded on, but I used a very large set of Channel Lock pliers to coax it off. If that fails, try driving a large phillips screwdriver through the body of the filter by the end. This gives you leverage to turn it. Be sure to turn CCW. It'll go, it just gets stubborn.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the reason most filters are hard to remove, the last tech to install it did not put any oil on the gasket. it has dry siezed to the housing and will be a pain to remove. when installing, use the same oil as you will put in the bike, then install as per instructions.....
    here is how i drain my filter.......06 electra glide....
    i have a sharpened screwdriver and a hammer. i place cardboard under the filter, long enough to reach outside of the frame..left side..with a catch pan underneith. i place the screwdriver on the lowest part of the filter....looking at it from the end... and drive the screwdriver into the filter creating a hole. i then do the same to the upper part of the filter, this hole releases the vaccuum effect of the oil that is in the filter, alowing it to drain quicker. maybe this will help a bit...........
    chuck
  6. MarginCallDue

MarginCallDue New Member

Thanks for your ideas!........

But I used good ole knuckle bust'in logic. To remove my "frozen" oil filter on my 05 883Xl Sporty, I purchased an after market cap wrench (which kept spinning around the chrome filter) then drilled several holes through the cap itself and THEN drilled a smaller hole into the filter itself. After screwing in several sheet rock screws into the filter and using my persuader (a 22oz Stanley) on the wrench the filter finally budged.
    Thanks again for all your knowledge, and am happy this board exists for :cool: amatuer machenics like me! BillD
  7. AZ05FXST

AZ05FXST New Member

Hey Chuck,
    Thanks for the tip on draining the oil filter. I'll be doing my first oil change soon and will be sure to use this tip.

RIDE ON!
  8. scooter

scooter New Member

*cheesy grin*

I bought the HD part # Oil Filter Wrench...works like a charm on the Sporty.

*more cheese*

scoot