1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil from breather

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bushwackerhd, Jun 28, 2009.

1. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

dmassey... If your finding oil on the frame tubes it might not be the motor at all. Check around the bottom of the fork cowbells for any oil it maybe that you have a bad fork seal. This sometimes wont show up as a drip on the floor but as you ride the fork pumps out just enough to mist on to the frame. Oil has certain paths that it follows as the wind blows it to the rear of the bike. I always follow it forward to the front to find where its coming from. Another thing i have seen happen is that the neck can get over filled with grease. This happens when some well meaning tech does a service and pumps grease into the neck fitting till it starts to come out the lower bearing. This is fine for the bearing but creates a large mess for the owner once the bike gets hot, Grease melts starts to flow and then blows back on the frame and top of motor as there is no seal to keep it in the neck. All these issues are warr. so take it back to dealer and dont wipe the oil off as tech will need to see the problem. Only thing they wont fix is the to much grease issue as they will say "that thats the way it is just live with it."
  2. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

hddoc - You may have hit the nail on the head with the grease in the fork neck bearing. I checked it out and sure 'nuf there's a grease overfill on the left side of the neck bearing. Must have happened on the 1K checkup. Like you said, the tech means well but------------. Planning to go to the dealer tomorrow as they're having a Labor Day party for customers so I'll take the service manager out and show him. Then, as you said, he'll probably say "that's the way it is" but hopefully he'll offer a rag that I can get the excess off with.
    Danny
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

2.5 qts isn't full on a softail at least for a full fill

Check your oil level when the bike is warm be sure you have the correct amount
    of oil.
  4. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Went by the dealership Saturday and sure enough "That's the way it is right now". Although the service manager did admit that "Harley has a big problem with that right now and they know about it". He said that Harley was working with other types, etc. of grease to find someting that works better but right now, Harley is recommending that they stay with the current grease. He did have a nice clean rag though.
    Danny
  5. hotroadking

Grease comes out when I do my own, that's how I know it's full,

Just wipe the stuff off.

HD was using some bluish color grease found a ton of that stuff on the bike, you'd think they were filling the bearings on an aircraft carrier prop shaft...

Just wiped it out, and diy...
  6. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

HRK.. They use a hi temp marine bearing grease as it is some what water repelent. same stuff that Sta-Lube makes. I think they are the supplier for HD just repackaged and twice as much.
  7. hotroadking

well they did a good job, i'm pretty sure it's full LOL
  8. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

huh: