1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 6, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

:roflmao::roflmao: but then it looks like that I will have to cut all of them myself. I guess it isn't that bad. They do look purty. :D
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

They have pre-made kits, do a little work on the site....

Problem is when you are done you'll need throttle, brake and clutch cables
    to look all purty....

The teflon lined throttle and clutch cables are nice, less effort.

Then again you might just want to put rubber hose and band clamps on
    it if you are going to trade it for a bagger soon...
  3. JohnnyBiker

No, I am trading it in, I will keep it. That will be my mess around bike and for rides around here. I like my bike..
  4. JohnnyBiker

I talked to J&P and they do not have the Sterling Chromite hoses. I looked at DS and they do have the SS but not like the chromite. Russel is just out of them, but I can buy individual lengths and build them. I emailed Sterling and asked them what they have for my bike. I should hear from them soon.. Their prices on on other cables are not that bad.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Will the oil tank for the Sportster accept a compression style fitting?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

is yours threaded and tapered????? or is it pipe thread??? you have done all the work on your bike, you may have changed it from stock. take a look and see.............
  7. JohnnyBiker

The tank was done when I got it and far as I can see it is it is just the chrome stock version. I will be tearing it apart on Thursday. I will most likely go with the Sterling Chromite lines. I can't help it, I like the bling. :D
  8. chucktx

have fun!!!!
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

It says they can be cut easily with scissors, might as well do the fuel lines too...:cool:
  10. chucktx

if they are plastic, use a heat knife....it will seal the ends from raveling..........
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

The ss lines are pretty - but - like somebody said earlier, the transmission oil lines from your car parts store are very good and very cost effective. I put all mine on for the cost of 3" of ss. I have them on my scooter on the recommendation of several bikers around here. If you're concerned about the hoses getting too close to the pipes, you can cover them with heat shield sleeving from Lick's Cycles. Around $25 for a 6 ft. roll. Withstands extremely high temps.
    Bling, eh? To each his own . . .
  12. JohnnyBiker

Well, it is about 5:10 in the morning and I am sitting ehre with my coffee getting ready to go out to the garage and begin to take it apart. I am a day late on this as there were continuous interruptions yesterday. Oh Well, I guess that is just how it goes.

I quit smoking and my body is still adjusting to life without all of the nasty shiit that they put in those things. I am very surprised that I am not really having the cravings for them like I did the last time that I attempted to quit. Oh Well, I guess now I have to see what it is like to work on something without them, another trigger.

Back to the subject, Yes I saw that you can cut those Sterling Chromite lines with a scissors, I am not sure if I like that at all. Why? I have no idea. I may go with the Russell's still as I have not ordered anything yet. In a bout 60 minutes I will be getting a better idea how things are going.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Well, as usual I am not able to get to things when I would like to, but hey, what the hell. So I finally have my bike semi torn apart so I can get a look at what is going on with this oil leak. I am looking at everything and I cannot see anything that alarms me at all, but I do now have a few questions.

1.) There is a hose that sits right underneath my seat and goes to the back side of the starter and into the case. Is this a breather hose? This is where the oil was coming from on my way back from WI.

2.) Is it possible and or common for oil to leak out of this hose (if it is a breather or something similar)?

Now, the bike was running a little hotter than normal but nothing to be alarmed about in the slightest. When I noticed that the temp was creeping up on me, I did reduce my average speed from 65-70 mph down to 60-65 mph. I noticed then it did not leak oil after this and the oil temp did cool down to about (a little higher) than normal for my bike.

Thoughts? Suggestions???

Thanks
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

where are the ends (both ) go to or come from hook up wise? if one end is just hanging around it will be a breather hose
  15. JohnnyBiker

The specific hose that I am referring to is connected to the top of the case and is routed upwards and does not connect to anything and sits open and under my seat.
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep sounds like a breather hose , some folks run them down so they can spit oil on the back tire or put a filter on it to catch any oil best deal there
  17. hotroadking

on big twin its on the trans and will puke oil if overfilled or overheats and foams up
  18. JohnnyBiker

Now, the bike was running a little hotter than normal but nothing to be alarmed about in the slightest. When I noticed that the temp was creeping up on me, I did reduce my average speed from 65-70 mph down to 60-65 mph. I noticed then it did not leak oil after this and the oil temp did cool down to about (a little higher) than normal for my bike.

Is it normal for oil to leak out of this tube when oil temp is slightly elevated???
  19. hotroadking

no but it's there if the pressure is high to allow air out

if you overfill it can puke oil
    if you put in oil that can't handle the
    gears needs it can foam up and overflow

check the oil level
  20. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I know that the oil level wasn't too high because I just changed the oil about 3 weeks before that. I switched from HD dino oil to AMSOIL. :wtf: I drained the oil before I tore it apart, but I know that it has never done this before...:gah:

Now, just for the purpose of thoroughness, is it possible that this happened because of the changes I made to my rpm curve and the reintroduction of the V-Ductor??