1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

oil leak

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by samvan, Mar 5, 2016.

1. samvan

samvan Active Member

I developed a nickle size oil spot while parked overnight. Leak appears to be from seat around 32 tooth pulley area. what could be the cause and fix. (expensive) ?
  2. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Are you a do it yourself type, do you have a H/D shop manual ? There are multiple places for a leak in the area, make sure you get it right the first time. Good luck
  3. samvan

samvan Active Member

You are right about multiple possibilities for leaks in that area. I wont be doing the work myself. That's a job for experience. I did get some good info from internet videos.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I also got one like you. I do know that it's trans oil since I use a different oil for the tranny. It was suggested to me by BaggerPaul who is a very experienced tech that it may be from the shifter shaft seal. Apparently it's common. For me, it's a a sign that I've joined the Harley Owners Club! I myself won't be ripping into the repair for Such a minor leak. Maybe when I need a belt.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  5. samvan

samvan Active Member

Its definitely a tranny leak. Even though my leak is minor and just started, I am running a big motor and go through the gears at times and feel it necessary better now than later for repair.
  6. samvan

samvan Active Member

I also believe its the shifter shaft seal, but will also replace others.
  7. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Better to fix now if you can do than put off, Have a 34 tooth drive that I want to put on, where do I start and stop lol.
  8. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of work and other seals while apart, maybe a drive belt too, for a nickel spot . But then again , wrenching is fun! My preference would be December project not now when the season is starting.
  9. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

A good flash light and a small mirror and wait till its dark out and you'll find it.After I got my baskekcase on the road I had a bad leak and thats how I found it.It was leaking down the side of the tranny between the pully and tranny and yes it was a BIG job ot fix.Good luck
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

What generally happens when you put bulk cubes to stock transmissions, besides breaking shit, the inner bearing race on the main shaft walks and damages the seal causing a leak.

Replacing the inner/outer bearing stock setup with a complete sealed bearing solves this, baker sells one, a new seal and you are done.
  11. samvan

samvan Active Member

I put the bike on a stand for a better look. I saw oil tits at 180 degrees on the 32 tooth primary pulley. Did not see any other leaks ? I think you are right about the inner bearing race and seal leaking. Video repair tips confirm what you said hotroadking.. I wont be attempting the repair myself.
  12. hotroadking

Order a one piece bearing to stop it from happening again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. samvan

samvan Active Member

Gonna do, Thanks
  14. samvan

samvan Active Member

Hotroadking, do you have a part # for this 1 piece bearing and the distributor that sells them. The last one put in my bike was 12-0309 left crankcase main bearing set which consisted of the 6 piece set. Not a 1 piece assembled unit. I am having trouble locating a 1 piece bearing.
  15. samvan

samvan Active Member

The 12-0309 left crankcase main bearing set was installed may of 2015. I have approx 2100 miles since the install and now a leak.
  16. hotroadking

Check with baker transmission it's not a hd part

17. samvan

samvan Active Member

Hotroadking, I must be missing something. I talked to a tech at baker transmission about a "1 piece bearing set". I have a 2011 street glide. The tech said they do not have such a set for cruisers. Furthermore he said they cut out with the Hi torque bearing sets after 2007 ? ( something about a change in shaft size ) ?
    Timkem has the left crankcase main bearing set - 12-0309 which consist of 2 tapered bearings, 2 races and both OD split lock rings.
    Are we talking about the same thing ?
  18. hotroadking

Yeah if they stopped making it then you'd have to go with the hd two piece part