1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil temps again

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chucktx, May 13, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would at least use a Syn gear oil for the trans. SYN3 IMHO is a bit thin for a tranny but if it goes south and HD says to use it then they can fix it, right :rolleyes:
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Hahaha, I doubt it! That was really my question. temperature and viscosity for all three holes in a dyna, i thought all three were slightly different that's why i was surprised when the dealer suggested it, hence i come to the pros and ask!
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have been running mobil 75/90 syn in my transmission.....50k i just aquired a quart of amsoil, and changed it out. cant report on anything yet....dont have a lot of time in the saddle. i have run mobil 1 in the engine since new. i just changed to the dino to do an experiment on quieting the engine, which is has. it was a bonus to get a small reduction in operating temps. i run 20/50 royal purple in the clutch. change it at 5k or every other oil change.
    i go by that old saying "any oil is better than no oil".........