1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Only one cylinder firing.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Danny, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Member

I've got an "01" FLHTCI that stalled on me. I restarted it, got it home and I know now that I'm only running on one cylinder. That sounds like a typical issue but what are the typical causes?:gah:

Danny
  2. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Running on only 1 cylinder is hardly typical. As a matter of fact, I never heard of this before. How many miles on this motor? Is it electrical (no spark)? Pull the plug wire and check if a spark shows. If no spark to that cylinder, either needs new plug wires or a new coil.
  3. Danny

Danny Member

The motor has 60,000 miles. I looked at both plugs and they're not worn and I can smell gasoline after it starts. I'll try what you suggested.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

you can check & see if you swap plug wires from one to the other or just pull both plugs & hook the wires up crank it & look for spark
  5. Danny

Danny Member

Just like I do with natural gas burners. Thanks Cowboy. What do I check next if/when I only see one spark, as I suspect?

Danny
  6. alex the dog

Repeat. If only one spark, replace the plug wires, then the coil.
  7. Danny

Danny Member

Thanks Alex, the issue was the spark plug wires. Poorly routed, they wore down from rubbing on the motor and grounded out. New wires and I'm good to go. I did however, get some scary news about my cam chain tentioning assembly. The guys at the shop were pretty surprised that I've got 60 K on the bike and have not replaced the assembly or even had issues with it. The scary part was that the tentioning pad wears down, grinds metal to metal and then we're looking at metal dust going everywhere. So, it looks like I've got a new project. Hydraulic vs gear . . . ? . . . Can you shed some light on that subject for me?
  8. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

go with the Scream'n Eagle upgrade kit, that way you get the new oil pump with it, the gear drive is noisy.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You can update the cam chest to the later design as suggested
    gears require specific run out and its not a lot,
    you'll have to change cams chains, tensioner, cam plate etc but
    it's well worth doing, also get a new better designed oil pump when
    you do this.
  10. alex the dog

I agree with Hotroadking. That original spring-style chain tensioner was junk and a bad design. It is amazing you got that many miles without problems there.

The new hydraulic tensioner is much better, but I think the gear-drive cams are the best way to go. They aren't necessarily noisy if the right gear-tooth clearance is used, and this makes for a simpler and longer lasting set-up. A little more up front cost, but much more reliable.

Look at either a Screamin Eagle or Fueling cam plate and oil pump, and Andrews cams and gear-drive. Or, Fueling sells a high quality complete kit with matched components that costs about the same as the chain tensioner system. Your bike will run like it never did before.
  11. hotroadking

JMO gear drives may or may not be the way to go, by the time
    you add up the expense of the gears (had them on my 124) it
    pays to go to the new setup with a new oil pump (HD) etc.

Either way you have to buy specific cams to change the system
    to gear or hd's new setup.

Now the other thought is if it looks ok, and the tensioners are not
    worn through, just have them replace the tensioner shoes and ask
    them to polish the outside of the chains, or do it yourself so the outside edges of the
    links are silky smooth. Some of the chains were rough and cut into the
    old tensioners, some tensioners just were crappy material, jmo
    the spring pressure from the tensioners could have been too strong
    or someone let the tensioners slap up against the chain during the
    installation.

The big issue with Gear drives besides cost, is that the crank runout
    has to be within spec or they won't work, you can bust gears with too much
    runout and you can get the gear whine. They are good and strong, but you'll need oversize, undersize and stock size pinion gears to try and get he correct lash.

With the new style system none of that matters...
  12. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I've had both. The new system is cheaper, and you can use stock cams if they are in good shape. I have 52,000 miles on my gear drive with no problems. I went with s&s cams. The SE Cam plate was't available when i switched over. I've heard of guys doing the polishing and they have not had any more problems.
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My 01 tensioner were worn down at 40,000 miles so I changed it over to the new SE design with new oil pump. I think it is a better way to go. New tensioner design and new higher volume oil pump.

60,000 on it, I would change it over, soon.
  14. alex the dog

I always took it for granted that when the old tensioner was shot, it was time to go through the whole cam chest and replace everything: inner cam bearings, cams, lifters, oil pump, and cam plate with quality components. With 60,000 miles on it, would you simply replace the tensioner? Do the work once and don't worry about it for another 80-100K miles.

By the way, Fueling sells this complete kit above for $700 and I think it's a bargain.
  15. hotroadking

I thought you had to change over to some specific cams
    06 and up style to work with the new plate, couldn't remember
    if they had one that fit the outside cam journals with bearings

New cam plate has no bearing (roller/ball) cam is machined to fit
    into bearings that are part of the plate and float in oil.
  16. alex the dog

H-D's cam plate doesn't have outer bearings, but Fueling's does. It does not need special cam journals either.
  17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea, gotta have the new cams for that setup.
  18. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

You have a few options for a new cam plate setup.

The Screamin Eagle upgrade kit comes with a new plate, larger oil pump, 2 hydraulic tensioners, and a new outer roller chain with sprockets. This plate has bearings, so with this setup you can use your existing cams. This upgrade is combination of old and new. It uses the new roller type chain for the connection between the pinion shaft and the cam drive sprocket, but uses the stock hyper-link chain on the cam sticks. Both chains use the new hydraulic tensioner.

The new factory installed kit comes with a new plate, larger oil pump, hydraulic tensioners, 2 roller chains, and new sprockets. However, this plate does not have bearings, you cannot use the cams from the old style plate. The new style plate has bored journals that the cams rotate in.

Or as mentioned, you can go with the Fueling setup.

IMHO, I would go with the new style factory upgrade with the bored journals. Eliminating the bearings, eliminates another part that can fail.

Hope this helps.