1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Opinions Comments on the V-Rod

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gutierg, Oct 8, 2007.

1. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Congrats on the new purchase dude... It's still a Harley anyways!!!:)
  2. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Thanks very much, I am looking forward to riding a "Harley" again! I have not been able to get a good 200 miler under me in at least a month! I am very anxious!

Would not even consider anything else at all!

Regards,
    German
  3. fxrsrules

fxrsrules New Member

The more I ride my road glide the more I like it. (I'm in the fiddy and older in club) used to be the only time I would even consider ridding it was when I had the "old" lady with me. It's harder to get a ticket than on it than my fxr. I just don't feel like doin 100 or more (as much) while on the glide. There are just to many cops and idiot cages out now. Which brings me to my point. I'm not up on the v-rods if I'm wrong corect me but I've herd they don't handle well it the twisties because they are long and built more for straight line riding.
  4. gutierg

gutierg New Member

fxrsrules,

I think I have said it before and I will say it again, safety is always on my mind. I did not buy a V-Rod just so that I can find out how fast I can go. I have been through that stage already.You will probably not agree with me, but I will not be out there challenging other "fast bikes" or idiot cagers.

I am glad, you brought up the handling characteristics of this VRSC family of Harleys. I think, that if you can, you should take one for a test ride. I test rode mine for over 40 miles in the backroads of Bucks County, PA. I am originally from NJ, but it was a lot easer locating a V-Rod in PA than here in NJ. Anyway, I found an empty road and proceeded to swing the bike from side to side and various speeds, I was concerned as you are, with the handling characteristics of the longer frame and most of all the 240 MM rear tire. I will be very honest, I did not feel a single reason as to why this should be a hinderance for the bike, it sits low, takes off at a quick rate of speed and handles turns very well.

fxrs machines are fine and they handle the roads, just as well, I have been on one or two before. Anyway, good luck with your ride.

Regards,
    German
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Some guys will do anything to get a gal to sit on a bike !

Congrats on the new bike, Vrods are nice bikes they are different and IMHO that's what makes them kool.

They are fast.

Have fun!
  6. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Hotroadking,

Thanks very much, I appreciate the comments. I will have to watch myself on this new Harley. Once I take delievery of it, I will post some images. If I can break away from my work load!!! :mad:
  7. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Hey guys, German brought his new (08 V-rod) bike over to my place today and she's a beauty! It sure is different from your traditional Harleys but it's very nice! For anyone who doesn't know about them, here's a little background. You fill it up with gas under the seat, where the oil bag would be, and where the "normal" tank would be I believe he said there are velocity stacks under there. The battery is just behind the neck, up high. The rear is a 240mm tire, and the front is nice and wide too. Overall she's a nice bike, just different from the Dynas he and I are used to. Congrats to him! Hopefully he will post pictures for all to see.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup...
    :worthless:
  9. gutierg

gutierg New Member

chucktx,

How the heck can I top your avatar images with my new V-Rod. You certainly know how to make it interesting here.
    Anyway, I visited with voodochild today at his "Ranch" in the backwoods of New Jersey. The guy owns half the state :)

Anyway, I figured I better post some images before chucktx and voodochild have more to say. Hopefully, I am still holding to the "classic" traditions, even though I have moved on to a whole new design and riding protocol.

Regards,
    German

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very nice german.....i like the color also!!!! nice color just screaming for some "ghost" flames!!! thanks for sharing the pics....
  11. gutierg

gutierg New Member

chucktx,

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your comments. I agree with you, I am working on that, but I am working on locating a good "flame painter" around this part of the world. I would not want to deal with the dealer, I have a friend that works for PPG inside of the York Assembly plant and currently they have way too many issues on the table.

Regards,
    German
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

German congrets on the new bike , That Red stand's right out & say's let ride , now for some pipes you can realy hear , & A pad for the little lady on the back rest :D
  14. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Looks different but it still says Harley Davidson on the side:cool: . It's a great looking bike. How do you like the throttle response?
  15. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Slimjim,

I can not bring it up to speed as of yet. (Break in period of 500 miles, limiting me to a max of 55 MPH for shorts periods of time) Having said that, the bike just wants to go right away. Waiting at a light and barely touching the throttle, the bike is more than ready. In fact from second to third, the thing wants to just get up and go. Very very responsive, incredible feeling!
    240 MM rear tire, handles extremely well as well, did a couple of tight turns at varying speeds, it glided through without any difficulties.

Regards,
    German
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

When I had to break in my 07 SE Ultra The book said stay under 3000 RPM. Man in 6 gear at 80 I was still under the 3000 RPM limit so it was up to 80 for me. I think its better to be a somewhat aggressive on the break-in period than to baby it.

Question: Why is it that Honda or Yamaha gives you no break-in rules.
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

They need the service work to make up for lost cruiser sales :D

First 500 or so is important for several reasons, first is the parts breaking in, the second is, what if something is wrong from assembly, you don't want to find out you have a loose pushrod (adju) on a hard run in the first 100 yards LOL
  18. gutierg

gutierg New Member

That is a simple answer. BMW, Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki, run their motors ahead of assembly. So by the time the motors are installed, they already have gone through the so called "brake in" process. Don't understand why Harley does not do this?

Therefore, when a customer picks up his bike, the unit will be ready to rumble at high speed right out of the delaership's parking lot.

Regards,
    German
  19. FLHTbiker

I've bought 4 new Harley's in the past and have run 3 of them as hard as I could during break-in and not had a problem. On my first I babied it all the way to the end of the break-in period, changed the oils in all three holes right when it was due and the motor broke in the first six months while I was on a ride, left me stranded, called a tow truck. They had to replace the whole upper end and it was down for two months waiting mostly for parts. I'd much rather break it in harder in the beginning but still stay within the break-in guildlines of RPM's. :)

I've known others who broke them in really hard not caring about the motor companies break-in and never had a problem either.
  20. FLHTbiker

Wouldn't that make more sense if they did. :rolleyes: