1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ordered my lift today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Oct 11, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The supplier called and caught a big error with the lift for my needs. That Ranger lift length is not long enough to accommodate a trike as its only 80 inches as it does not have that extended front. I never even thought of that but they caught it and called this morning before shipping it out today. Good thing to as I would have really been upset.

I substituted it for this one which is still 1500 Lb lift and still 50 inches wide.
    Not as heavy but should work.

AL-1500M Hi-Rise Motorcycle Lift with Side Extensions
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sounds like a good company , :cool:
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, good company.......extra cash for more chome!!!!!!!
  4. FLHTbiker

The freight company showed up today with a 40 plus foot trailer. :gah: I got a real steep long driveway and he said I can't back up that, so I'll just drop it at the bottom of the drive. I told him NO cause how am I suppose to get it up the driveway. Shipping weight shows around 800 pounds. Their coming back tomorrow with a 20 foot truck. :rolleyes:
    Can't believe they bring a long haul semi to make a delivery. He had a heck of a time trying to turn around on our dead end street, morons. I told them before it was shipped about the driveway and dead end street.:cussing:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Had them at Biketoberfest, several models
    different companies....
  6. FLHTbiker

Re: Lift arrived today

The company Saia brought the lift out in a 20 foot truck. The guy was scratching his head about backing up the drive and then turning and backing up the second part. Told him, you can do it (not my clutch) :). He got it up but I had to go inside the truck and push (was still on an incline) to get it on the lift gate. Here is a few photos. Have to finish an inspection report today so won't unpack it until tomorrow. Now, how am I going to get the main part into the shop? :confused:

Attached Files:

7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

you are lucky I"ve seen them bring them on trucks designed for a dock, no liftgate
    you're really fubar'd then....

Go to home despot, get two 4 wheel dollies, cheap, squares with four wheels,
    put it on the two, one end at a time and roll in...

Or hire some california illegals LOL
  8. FLHTbiker

They sent one yesterday and was a 40 foot plus trailer. Told them that was not acceptable so they came back today with a smaller truck and a lift gate.
  9. chucktx

Re: Lift arrived today

i cant tell from the pics, but can ya take it in, in pieces?? maybe take some apart?? then reassemble in the shop?????? just thinking.....
  10. FLHTbiker

I'm hoping to but think the main part is one piece :(.

Hey cardboard jump on an airplane and help me out. :D
  11. chucktx

heck, he has the time....and had so much work this past summer he made a ton of money....up at the crack of dawn, work all day, get home dead tired at 5 pm or later......it would be a good break for him, and a bit of a tax break also.....work related trip!!!!!! lol
  12. FLHTbiker

I thought he was saying he is always broke.:rolleyes:
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

harbor fright has the furniture dollies as well , 4 wheels & sq , they come in very handy for a lot of moving stuff
  14. FLHTbiker

I was actually thinking about that. Might work well.:)
  15. chucktx

well, did ya get it in and put together???????????
  16. FLHTbiker

Yep, its up. Man that is one heavy piece of iron. Didn't have any help so I un-crated it and with a long pry bar managed to scoot it to the side of the crate. Used the Harbor Freight 1 ton winch and ran it out to the lift. Got cardboard (the real stuff) under the lift so it would slide easier. Tell yea what it made that winch creek and strain a bit. Pulled her all the way as far as I could then ran a line of chain and cable and hooked up a coma-long and pulled it the rest of the way in. Drilled another hole through the rafter and hooked up another pulley and used the winch to pull it up and on its side. Placed a horse stall rubber mat under it and lowered it down. What an ordeal getting it there. It says 780 pounds shipping weight and I think she weights close to that all set up. Here are some pics. Only thing I wished it had was a safety lock when its set up.

Attached Files:

17. FLHTbiker

Few more pics

Attached Files:

18. chucktx

can ya take a few more pics of the underside???? maybe we can help with a way to add a lock system............or call the mfg. and see what they have. i would think that there is some way to make the lift safe........
  19. FLHTbiker

At the bottom plate there are catches when you lift it the forward scissor portion will snap into latch positions. You let the pressure off until it seats up against a catch. I've seen other lifts that also has a metal bar that will position itself so if the main release gives then the safety catch will hold. I'll take a photo tomorrow.
  20. chucktx

ok.......by the way......cool santa on the back wall!!!!!!!!! lol