1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Overheating Ultra - 98 FLHTCUI

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wdfbpf, Jul 28, 2004.

1. wdfbpf

wdfbpf New Member

I just bought a 98 Ultra that has only 5,900 miles on it and seems to be in great shape. I have ridden it a few times by myself and everything seems to be fine. I had removed my lower farrings to do some cleaning so I replaced them, and my wife and I went for a ride of about 30 miles. Together we weigh about 400 pounds. After about 25 miles, I started getting some pinging when accelerating so I assume the bike was getting hot. The weather was/is hot; probably arund 90-95 while we were riding.

I am using all synthetic oil in all 3 chambers, and it has just been changed. Is there something I can do to prevent this pinging? Is this normal? Will removing the lower farrings in the summer make a difference? I have always ridden Goldwings before, so I know nothing about Harleys. Thanks. Dale
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I believe HD recommends removing the lowers in the summer, they will increase the temps around the motor and on you. You can vent the lowers but it's about $200+ for the parts.

An oil cooler would be a good addition to the bike to keep temps down in the hotter months.

Cheap fix, take the lowers off. :D

Also if you haven't do a stage 1 to the bike, SE filter, slip ons (www.wildpigpipes.com) or any slip on, and get it tuned up for the stage 1 and you'll see more tq and hp and if done correctly a bit cooler running if you add enough fuel. Bikes are lean from the factory as they can get them.