1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Painting a frame

Discussion in 'Projects' started by amf4399, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

The guy that painted my gas tank is really good. You may know of him.
    Mike from Underground Cycles in Riviera Beach. He has a website.
    He has a custom chopper there I want $18k brand new 5 miles on it. 100" Rev tech, rev tech 6 speed mono shock frame and nice jay brake controls. nice black paintjob with pin stripping. He is good.
    Maybe you or Chucktx can loan me 18k?? Please?
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

For 18k I would buy myself a softail or Street Glide. I can get a nicely done custom bike for about 11k in Washington State. :cool: Start saving pennies. :D
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Trade the shovels!
  4. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Oh hell no~!
    Are you joking? Trade my american made shovels for a chinese made rev-tech motor and tranny??
    Yeah right, not!!
    Surely you jest Mr. HRK~?
  5. hotroadking

just wanted to check your commitment level to that bike you wanted LOL
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i use an oven....for real small stuff i use a toaster oven....:)
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I love and I seriouly mean this this, I LOVE my blue bike with the shovelhead. Even tho it's old and it leaks fluids, it's dirty and loud too but there's something about it that has a special place in my heart. It's like an old friend or a old pet dog. I can't see myself ever selling it. Even old bikers that have newer rides often keep or always wish they had their special cycle again. My blue bike is that to me. I most certainly would not sell it for a bike with a chinese made drive train. I won't buy a rev-tech anything. H-D or S&S for me. ONLY!
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's why I was so disappointed when I paid $1300 for a rebuilt 70s Harley 4-speed and got, instead, a beat up Motor Factory one. I had to compromise and send it back to get rebuilt. Supposedly, it's going to get Andrews gears and American made bearings and such. Eventually, I'll get a genuine Harley tranny, but for now, finances dictate what I can and cannot do. I've heard from others that the Rev-Tech stuff isn't so hot.
    Back to the original thread about painting a frame. I bought my rolling chassis with a new Paughco wishbone frame and the guy I bought it from had already painted it when I went to pick it up. Now, every time I need to do some grinding on it, I find rust underneath the paint. They never bothered to clean the frame up before painting.
  9. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Wow, that sucks. I would strip it now and repaint it. Otherwise, somewhere down the road the rust will pop out and reer its ugly head. You will wish then you would have repainted it when you had somewhat bare, before all the finsh wiring and stuff is already on it.
    If you bought a HD tranny how did you get a motor factory tranny? I am gonna rebuild my tranny myself with the best parts I can find.
    Here's a good link for rebuilt and used H-D parts:
    Robs Used Harley Parts - Home
  10. joshbob

Because that's the tranny they sent me, probably thinking I wouldn't know the difference. And I might not have, if it hadn't been for the fact that it wouldn't even shift when I got it, and the drain plug was JB weld instead of a real drain plug. The tranny was supposed to have been a 70's Harley 4-speed REBUILT to match my '77 shovel motor. They'd been holding it and the primary about 5 months while I made payments on it. He claimed not to have another 4-speed on hand, so I sent it back to get rebuilt, no charge to me. Yeah, it sucks. I'm just hoping it gets rebuilt right and in a timely manner.
    Far as the frame goes, everything is already on it except the tranny and primary. Before I realized it was rusty I had sanded it and primered it and repainted it flat black. I hope it will be a long time before the rust comes thru.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  11. hotroadking

Well you might end up with a nice tranny and nobody but you and us will know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. joshbob

Thanks, HRK, for reminding me that it's always better to look at the positive side of things. I have much to be thankful for and often forget to count my blessings.
  13. hotroadking

LOL well there sure is enough going around to get upset about, plus you are making progress with the rest of the stuff, so when the tranny gets to you it's going to be riding time...
  14. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Ifn they put Andrews gears in it you will have a tranny - Andrews is good stuff and have a excellent tech department that will work with you if you have any problems. :)
  15. joshbob

amf4399, Did you ever paint your frame?
  16. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Man JoshBob, you bike looks good~! Nice, clean and shiney and not even leaking yet, haha imagine that~! I wish my bike was looking like that. Soon hopefully, I will be dismantling my bike and cleaning it all up and rebuilding my tranny and repainting everything.
  17. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

Yes, sorry for the delay. Finished a few months ago. Came out fine. Just used some dupli color automotive from a can and did a final coat with clear. Wouldn't do a show bike this way but for my dual purpose bike it worked out OK.
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

got any pics of it........love to see it!!!
  19. eieio4tn

eieio4tn Active Member

yayess...give us pics, please...:rant: