1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Parts for Stage 1 upgrade

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by swampdragon, May 23, 2008.

1. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

I still wish I knew what size jets came in the kit for a 2001 883 however. I can't see paying extra for a jet that I may already have installed to begin with. That just wouldn't make sense.

I do like the idea of a better spring, and a better needle however. Hell, I may even upgrade to the mixture screw that is knurled as well. It seems more user friendly for sure.

It's just the "mystery" jets part that I still find quite irritating. I like to know what I'm buying before I buy it. Most people do I suspect.

"Give me your money and I'll surprise you with what you get," just doesn't quite cut it with me. Especially if I end up getting what I already have to begin with, and paid yet again for something I didn't even need.

Take note sales department. Many "intelligent" people think the same way I do. You are possibly "losing" money. People want to know what they are buying before they hand over their hard earned money. Especially these days. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Maybe people may take the info and just install jets on their own if they know that's what in your kit. BUT...if your kit is as good as you believe, then it shouldn't matter. You are offering a better spring and a better needle, and a better mixture screw as well at a better price than buying all those pieces separately. You would still win.

The fact is, if people just want to re-jet...there is plenty of info on the web to tell them what to buy, and skip your kit completely. If you want to sell your kit...you have to be honest instead of paranoid. Explain (in detail) what you get and why it's better.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I'm just telling you like it is. Secrecy is costing you more money than the truth did...even if you don't realize it.

I am VERY interested in your kit. But I'm not going to buy it. Why? Because I don't know what I'm buying. It's that simple. I'm just being brutally honest here.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Brutal honesty noted.

Now my turn for some brutal honesty. The jets are a very small fraction of what this kit really is. Its not your typical rejetting kit and the cost of the jets themselves probably wouldn't alter the price of the kit that much. I've already stated in other messages why I don't publish what jets are included so I won't get into that again. Basically I would never twist anyones arm to get this kit, its up to you whether you want one or not.
  3. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

I "do" understand your stance. And yes, I understand that you sent me a PM explaining your point of view as far as sales goes. I'm not trying to twist your arm either Bro.

My main point is that I don't want to buy jets that I may already have to begin with. That's just not practical.

That does not mean that I'm not interested in the rest of the components in the kit. Please don't confuse the two. In fact, your needle and spring is what keeps me the most interested. But... not at the expense of paying again for jets I may already have.

If you tell me that your kit for an '01 883 does "not" contain a #42 and a #160 that I already have installed stock, then OK. That would be good enough. If it does...then I'm wasting money. Right?
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Shop Manual and the Parts Catalog are 2 genuine HD tools to buy...and worth every penny. Parts Catalog has all the numbers and diagrams with order of assembly for those of us that can't read:D Then make your own jet kit. N65C needle and a main jet,possibly a $ .10 brass washer from a harware store ,but prolly won't need it.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

You can also buy the parts manual, which not only lists the numbers, but has diagrams to show you where they go.
  6. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Yep. I may have to find the parts manual as well. It would be good to have. Sadly though, even some of the part numbers I've looked for in the past are really tough to find now sometimes.
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The kit just like any other kit on the market comes with an assortment of jets to cover several configurations per model. So no matter what, you end up with unused jets since a carburetor only takes 2. From what you've described so far I can almost guarantee you won't be using the same size jets already installed.

Will you get any of the same size jets that you already own? Yes, but you would have left over jets no matter what size you started out with. Am I going to publish what size jets come in a particular kit? NO. Doing so in the past had every do-it-yourselfer trying to replicate the kit and then having problems when pairing with a N65C or stock needle. The included jets are meant to be paired with the custom needle and emulsion tube.

All kit talk aside, if you are looking to just rejet its been mentioned before - go with a #42 pilot with a N65C needle, turning the mixture screw out just under 2 turns. Leave the main jet alone until you get the idle/midrange settled.

To discuss the kit further please email me.

Thanks!
  8. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Fair enough.