1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Parts ON THE WAY

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 9, 2010.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

pm to ya...........
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You can run dyno after break in if you want it's your choice.

I prefer synthetic because it keeps its original properties
    longer and doesn't break down in heat like Dyno, so it cleans better
    longer, which means its lubricating properties are better longer.

As far as break-in you can google it and get 4000 different responses
    however most believe it's best to vary the RPM's over different levels
    the rings will seat fast anyway.

IMportant to the break-in is finding if you did something wrong, or,
    if there is a bad part in the mix, last thing you want to do is start it
    go 40 feet and hammer it WFO and find you overextended a pushrod
    bending a valve into a piston... Not good..
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Ok. I will run the conventional until break in is done and then I will go to synthetic. I trust you. also i went to HD to do some demos and my SE ignition is in. I cannot wait until this all gets put in. I think that this bike is going to scream??? Thanks for the help, I am now looking into Kens kit with the V-Ductor, talk about this being an animal!!!:cool:
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Kind of a late response, but I can't fault the shop for pulling out the Drag book to order the rejet kit. The book sits on the counter of the majority of shops and its easy for a shop to quickly find something in one spot and place the order. It doesn't mean they'll always get the best part or that Drag isn't fleecing the shop on the real profit, but that's another story.
  5. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I have found that on break in, if you get a place without traffic, in 4th gear at about 40 mph, roll on the throttle up to about 50 then shut the throttle, coast down to 40. repeat as many times as you can stand.
    The firm roll on then the coast down helps the rings seat in. In the first 50 miles is the best time to do this.
    You may feel the roll on get stronger each time. Mine did.
    After the 500 or 1000 mile oil change, using the synthetic oil is a good idea. As others have said it runs cleaner and longer, it also runs cooler. I have tried several dino and synth oils. Some the engine sounds different, louder, not as smooth. Most run about the same temps.
    I use Amsoil, It runs about 20 degrees cooler, checked on the heads and cylinders with a laser thermometer. The engine runs smoother, the noises it makes are quieter. Feels more powerful, Gets better milage, 2 or 3 more per gallon.
    The engine gets the 20w50, the primary gets the 10w40, the tranny gets the 75w110.
    I like the 10w40 in the primary, the clutch seems to work better. In 47,000 miles the primary chain hasn't needed adjusting.
    The 75w110 in the tranny smoothes the shifting and quiets it some. It doesn't get so stiff in cold weather that you can't shift.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Well, today I got a phone call from my parts person and was told that all of my parts are in, but there is a problem. For some reason, my heads were mismatched. The front head is correct for what it is that I want, but the rear head was not. No big deal, we were able to get another whole new set. I should have it Monday or Tuesday. I have my appointment for the bike on Monday and should be done sometime during the week.
  7. hotroadking

8. JohnnyBiker

Well today I received my cams, push rods, gaskets, carb parts that they ordered (too late to cancel), pistons and rings, and went to the dealership and picked up my SE ignition. Now all that I am waiting on are the heads. I can't wait for this thing to be done. this bike is going to scream when it is done.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Today I got word that my heads have been received and are now in the shop getting blasted. Are there any last minute things I should get before the bike gets into the shop???? Suggestions anyone??
  10. hotroadking

Just be sure you have all the gaskets, o-rings for re-install ready

Also take any bolts and nuts and clean them I use a brass wire wheel on my bench
    grinder to get all the old loctite, grease, oil etc off.

bag and tag the parts and label them using good old sandwich bags and
    a sharpie makes it easier for getting to the parts you need, plus if you are missing
    something you know what to get in advance

Loctite, have plenty of blue (medium) loctite available....
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

agree!!!!
  12. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for hooking me up with Amy and Bill, I am more than happy with their service. I am not going to have the time to do the work myself though. That and I do not want to do it myself considering that this is my only bike and I want to be out riding so I will pay someone to this one. Starting next year, when I have another bike, then I will start doing my own work as I will have another ride so I do not miss out on any riding. Plus, I am just too busy to be able to focus just on that. :mad::(
  13. JohnnyBiker

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!![/B Well, my ride is in the shop and ready for its transformation. I have decided to put the baffles in, I have been so up and down on this, but have decided to do it. All I am waiting on are my heads which I will have in on Wednesday which is no big deal. I have also decided to put SE plugs in and Se wires as well. I gave the builder the go ahead to do what he thinks need to be done. I trust him. I cannot wait!! :cool:
  14. JohnnyBiker

Well, all of my parts are in and the indy guy has them. As of now, he has the new ignition in, has changed the primary, and tranny fluid with AMSOIL, has the jugs out to get them machined to a.005 overbore. He has started getting rings and pins set ready for install. I got the baffles put in my pipes. I guess this is one thing that was really hard for me to do, really did not want to install them, but I guess Oh well. :(
  15. hotroadking

Thats good , baffles are a good idea, muni's and states are
    cracking down on loud pipes, great revenue in down economy.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Here is the interesting part, I haven;t even had a cop so much look in my direction when I am goosing the throttle. I do not mind this, but I am more interested in the performance benefits more than anything. It really pained me to putt hem in, but oh well.
  17. hotroadking

you will, if you keep them loud...
  18. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

Quite often if the baffles work right they increase the scavanging effect of the exhaust in the low and mid range rpms. This increase helps with cylinder fill. The better cylinder fill increases the hp. Not so much in the high rpms but more in the range you operate the engine. 2-3500 rpm.
    It might make the bike quieter, maybe not.
    Are the baffels set up to be taken out and installed easily? If so you might want to try both ways, see which performs better. If you have a dyno tune done, that would be the time to check the baffles. The dyno reads hp better than the seat of your pants.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Well, I got my baby back!!!! I Am so impressed with the difference of how my bike performs and feels, it is hard to put into words. On its journey home, I was listening for all of the little noises that I had before, and nothing. I had absolutely no vibration when getting up in the rpms, I switched everything to single fire, baffles are in and it is just as loud. I am able to be going about 55-60 before I have to shift into 5th. There was this little rattling sound that I always heard that sounded like it was coming from the front end, that is gone. We left the 46 pilot jet and went up to a 185 main, this thing is rocken!!!!!!
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Congratulations; nothing better than a sweet runnin bike.. just break it right and you’ll be good for many miles