1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

PC 3 problem

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by Hdtractor1, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Installed the Power commander 3 on 08 Streetglide with SE Stage 1 Air filter kit.The PC 3 came with canned map.It runs good on open road,but when in town it will act like its running out of fuel for just a moment then run fine not actually stalling bike out but coming very close.It does not do it all the time has only done it three times in 200 miles.Had no issues at all before the PC 3 was put on.
    Wonder if this would be map problem?
  2. fujimo

fujimo New Member

idle

dont kno if you have tried to adjust,,,,but usually it is running rich at an idle ,,,when you first stop ,,,try turning pc idle down to 3 bars up ,,,pops
  3. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Not sure exactly how to do what you hace suggested...can you be a little more specfic on the idle adjust?

Thanks for the input
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I have always suspected that my PC3 sometimes does not do what it is supposed to. What I mean is that sometime my bike runs like there is no PC3.
    Most of the time it is fine but every once in a while the bike runs crapy in all ranges.:mad:

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this :confused:
  5. steveb

steveb Active Member

I heard some stuff that the PC3 does not work well on '08 Harleys with O2 sensors from the mechanic where I bought my '08 Ultra. The dealership is a licsensed Power Commander intaller and they are hesitant to put one on my bike. They claim that with the o2 sensors the Power Commander is locked out of some of the settings. Any one else run into that ?
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

how far along are you when it comes to adjusting your maps. do you use a computer? are you using the face plate type adjustments; hope not. hope you'll beyond that. those adjustments are pretty crude. i would guess it's running a little on the rich side. i would think about leaning it out by a few numbers in th rpm range your're having the problrms at and see how that works; good olde trail an error. not sure what to think about those 02 sensors:confused: hopefully they don't cause any type of conflict. you may wish to contact pc and see what they say
  7. fujimo

fujimo New Member

adjust,,,

read your manual,,,it will telll you how to adjust,,,and it is easy,,,and it is worthwhile to kno,,, they very seldom run lean,,,, when you are dialing them down you will hear motor change,,,like carb adjust,,,, frees up ,,,, dial cleatr down ,,,and when it starts to falter,,,,run up a couple bars,,,, cannot hurt the p.c.,,,so dont be afraid of it,,,fun to dink with,,,, can cut your mileage down to around 25 pg,,,,or up to whatever,,,, it WILL feed enough gas to make bike run really well,,,pops
  8. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I just installed my Vance&Hines fuel-pak with a little different map from Vance & Hines and bike runs perfectly again. I put the Power Commander on e-bay will loose a 100 bucks to get rid of it!!Don't want no more power commanders!!!On an 08 They just don't work well at all.
  9. steveb

steveb Active Member

That is what the mechanic at the dealership had told me. The PC3 does not work well on the '08 touring models due to O2 sensors. I am going to just try a download from the dealer. I am not intending to do any other mods to the bike so once it gets dialed in it will stay that way.
  10. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

well I hope it works out for you.I finally got mine dialed in with no pops.no hestitation and it runs perfectly.It took two maps from V&H to get their fuel-pak dialed in right.I was going to replace the screaming Eagle air filter element with a K&N air filter, but I think since its perfect I will leave it alone....lol....
  11. sparky

sparky New Member

P/C Tuners

Sorry to say but to get it totally right you are going to have too get it Dyno tuned or you will always have sometype of problems with it running.
    You cannot hardly change anything on these new bikes without changing the computer settings and please make sure you get a good dyno operator that knows what he is doing.
  12. steveb

steveb Active Member

So far after the dealer download the bike is running very well. There is no popping or hesitation. My plan is to run this way until Thunder Max introduces their updated version for the '08 touring models this summer. May even have them put one on when I see them in Sturgis this summer.
  13. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

I have a PCIII on my '07-FLHTi & it seemed to be o.k. with the web-sites down-loaded map choice.The bike went from o.k. to total crap after I replaced the cams w/Andrews-37h grind cams.I had the bike Dyno-tuned at RC cycles in Hayward,CA. & the bike runs perfect in all throttle positions from idle to wide open.The PCIII I have requires the oxygen sensors to be disabled with these plug connectors the PC came with.I guess the '08's are a little different.
    I would definitely recommend dyno tuning for any level of performance enhancement &/or max fuel economy.(JMO)The Thunder Max ecu/auto tune & wide band 02's sounds great,buts very pricey $$$.
    Which ever system you decide to use will really shine with precise tuning via the dyno & a good tuner.Best of luck!,00 wildglide.:cool:
  14. UltraHerbie

UltraHerbie New Member

PC3 I had it installed on my 08 Ultra 105 Annv. At the same time I had Screamin Eagle air filter and Rinehart Tru Duals exhaust. Only time it runs bad is when it is cold, it back fires if I try to ride it without letting it warm up first.
    If I wait for it to warm up, idling high than almost stalls (twice) before runs smooth. I beleive the 02 sensors are not to be reinstalled into the new Rinehart exhaust.
    Since I've owned the 08 Ultra, Harley had fix for the bike because it would idle way to high and not come down.
    Anyone else having the same kind of thing with the 08 models?
    Thanks
  15. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have an '08 Ultra Classic and I put Rinehart slip on mufflers on mine. I got scared off on using the PC3 on the '08 .I ended up doing a dealer download to tuen it. I have to say I am extremly happy with the results. i was going to wait for the Thunder Max tuner for the '08 touring models but I can not see what I would gain. The bike runs flawless at any speed warm or cold. I am sure that I could get better hp out of it but I do not think the gain would be worth the money for me.
  16. Blackmouth

Blackmouth New Member

I had a PCIII on my old bike and loved it.
    This is the 1st I hear about possible issues on an '08.

I have a couple of buds with bad experiences using the Fuel Pak on '07 and earlier models. So, I'm personally not a big fan of them.

Anyone here using a SERT?
    That may be a better option than a PCIII or Fuel-Pak if you're going to DYNO your bike anyway.
  17. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Not sure about the SERT.....I now have 2400 miles on my 08 Streetglide with the Vance & Hines Big Shot Duels and Vance & Hines Fuel-pak. Its running perfectly...no warm up problems,no hesitation,no idle problems at all.Maybe the fuel-pak works well with Vance & Hines exaust since they made both...not sure....do have some popping and crackling when you let of the throttle but no big deal .....
  18. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

starting to sound like pc111 has some caughting up to do!
  19. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I think the power commander needs more fine tuning or maybe dyno if your using pc3 on an 08.I have the pc3 here and would sell it for 200. if any one wants it.I just tossed it up in the bike cabnet with all that came with it,after they told told no refunds thinking if the V&H module dont work out I would have a pc3 laying around...lol....
  20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

We got a HD dealer that used to push PC all the time. They have had so much probems and complains out of them they will not sell them any more unless its a special request.