1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

PClll Question

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by 1loneultra, May 8, 2007.

1. 1loneultra

1loneultra New Member

I have a SERT on my bike, but I want to try different slipons on it.
    Can a PClll be installed on a bike that has been tuned with a SERT?
    If I understood it correctly, when my bike was dynoed with the SERT, it overwrote the Stage 1 download.
    Will I have to get the Stage 1 download again if I go with the PClll?
    With the help of forum members and pre mapped downloads from different sources, it would be a lot easier to tune the PClll than the SERT.

magnoliarunner
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

1loneultra I'am not sure what a sert is , but I have the PL 111 on my 03 & I can fine tune it with just about any type slip on's , The have a real good lise of map's & just about any combo you can think of , I run the SE air cleaner V&H true dules with samson slip on & they had the map already on there list
    :cool:
  3. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Since you have changed the baseline programming of your control module with the SERT, I would guess that the PCIII would not work correctly with the canned maps provided. I'm certainly no expert but from my understanding of how these two systems work, I would think that you should go back to the stock map so the PCIII would be working with a known starting point.
  4. Ted

Ted New Member

Hi SlimJim

I think you are right. I think not changing the factory computer sert the add on computer PCIII you can always go back to the old pipes and air cleaner to run standard to check the fuel mix oxygen censer and what ever they install to make it hard to work on. As time go's on there will be gas check devices for do it yourselfers like they have for cars. Later Ole School Ted
  5. Clem

Clem New Member

A SERT is a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and is a unit very much like the PC3 but ties to the ECM through the serial access port. The SERT a proprietary device sold by Harley Davidson and will 'mate' to the ECM so it cannot be used on a different bike. Using both is not advisable but can be done, just twice as complex to map either one. Actually, either would work fine, just not both in the system together.

Tuning the SERT for the slip-ons is almost the same as tuning the PC3 - done with specific software in a computer. Many maps are available for both systems to compensate for the reduced restriction of slip-on mufflers.
  6. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

The way I understand the SERT is that it is not a piece of hardware at all but only changes the mapping of the stock ECM. The SERT comes with a CD and an interface module that allows you to connect your PC to the ECM and contains the bike's VIN which keeps you from ever using it on another bike. The interface module does not stay on the bike during normal operation but only used when the map is changed.
    The PCIII is a piece of hardware which can be programmed to modify the ECM settings and does stay on the bike. I would think that the PCIII would have to work from a known point and if the map in the ECM had been changed, the canned maps in the PCIII would not be working from where they had been designed to do.
    I'm not arguing but I want to understand this also.
    Slim
  7. Ted

Ted New Member

Im not still not sure about this. But today with out a computer The V&H componants and Fuel Pack are the only one's that can be changed back to original equipment with out a re tune or being rebooter with a computer. And what will that cost? In other words the V&H Fuel Pack is a add on that stays on that can be removed with the new pipes at home. You need to type slow In old. Thanks Ole Ted.
  8. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

confused

just what is "sert" how is is different from a pc:picked:
  9. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I have a carb on mine.:)
  10. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I am NOT an expert...but here is how I understand it....they are both devices that plug into the wiring of your bike, both allow you to adjust the map/fuel curves. Not sure exactly on the SERT, but on the PCIII, IF I want/need to go back to stock, I take out the plug part, re-connect the wires as original, and BAM....back to stock...(course, would need to change pipes back at least or burn up the motor!!). Going back to PCIII would be re-plugging it into the harness.
  11. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I've already said more than I know. Someone who knows what they're talking about needs to take a stab at it.;)
  12. cowboy

iIam with slimjim on this one
  13. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I contacted Dynojet and here is what they said.

If you own the SERT then you should be able change it back yourself with a laptop and the software that came with it. If the dealer sold you the SERT but didn't give you the software you're stuck going back to them.
  14. cowboy

Thank's Ken , That's good to know
  15. Ted

Ted New Member

One more question. Is the laptop hooked to the PCIII on the bike. Or can you load the PCIII on your home computer and then install the PCIII on the bike. Sorry im just an old gas passer. Later Ole Ted
  16. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

the PCIII needs power in order to put maps on it....they DO sell a desktop power source so you can load at desk top, then carry it out and put on bike..... think it is something like 20$ more??!! not sure....I didn't get one.
  17. Ted

Ted New Member

Hi AFNurse
    Thats sounds good. That way you can go back to the dealer stock if you have a serious problem that you encounter. Thanks AFNurse If you ever get to Florida look us up. Later ole Ted.