1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Performance question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dmassey, Dec 9, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

It has been said that you can go from dino oil to synthetic oil and back. But don't make a habit of changin too many times or you can gum up yer clutchs and have a mess on yer hands. It can effect yer seals too from what I understand.
    Synthetic oil should cut down on some heat, lubricate better and cut down on engine wear.
  2. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Good shot cardboard. I'm planning on switching to synthetics and hopefully never going back. Redline's not easily found in a store here. I may have to order on line, ugh.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

maybe a short ride out of the city will get you some.......
  4. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I'm thinking of doing just that this Friday. I called at least 6 or 7 stores listed on Redline's website and only one carried their products, and that dealer didn't have the Schockproof gear oil. I may go there for the motor oil anyway, even though it's an hour both ways, considerring traffic and a bridge crossing. I'll check on New Jersey locations, that might be a nicer ride than ffrom Manhatten to Queens.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Hellboy, looks like you can order the engine oil by the case and save a few bucks plus have it in stock for the next oil change.

I still can't get over the price everyone wants for a friggin motorcycle oil filter.
  7. possum

possum New Member

have any of you heard of amsoil synthetic, good or bad? harley-performance.com sure talks highly of it.
  8. FLHTbiker

Amsoil motorcycle synthetic oil is very good oil and I would think it would be a very good synthetic oil to also use.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have heard that the tolls on the bridges are out of sight!!!!!! costs a ton to get in or out of the city............:confused:
  10. HaroldDillard

HaroldDillard New Member

NASCAR fan yes. Know where you live, yes. My house is approximately 3 miles south of the N. Caroliina border and approx. 15 miles east of Tennessee. Come to the mountains. There's no riding like it anywhere else. hills, valleys, very little traffic and lots of curves. It's a blast. Good luck with your new ride. I use to own a Harley Electra Glide and sold it. Bought:roflmao: a rice burner and tried it on for size. What you hear is true! Once you've has a Harley nothing else will do.
  11. cardboard

I've been a Amsoil dealer for about 6-7 yrs. Don't push it much.
    I use it in my bike when I order it. Use MCV 20w50w in the engine and primary. Use the SVO 75w-140w in the transmission. Amsoil is very, good oil. I like the K&N short Chrome Spin on Oil Filter. Its a high micron oil filter. Uses a 11/16 socket to take on and off and has a pressure releaf valve. No fighting to put it on or off.

K&N Long Chrome Oil Filter, for 1999-2009 Twin Cam® J&P Cycles®

If you don't have time to git AMSoil go to Walley World and git some Mobile 1 20w50w V-Twin Oil . I do not like their cheap oil filters. They git in the way of the crankshaft sensor and correct me if'n i'm wrong they don't have a check valve and have paper in them.
  12. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks again guys. I've heard nothing but good things about Amsoil, and the indy shop where I'm going to do my dino to syn change uses it as their go to synthetic. If it turns out to be too much hassle, I'll just use Amsoil, but I'm curious about the Redline products and will probably try them first. HRK, thanks for the links bro, I'll check it out.

Yeah, the tolls are ridiculous here. To see my friend in Staten Island (5 miles away and part of NYC),
    it costs $20 in tolls.

Just to be sure, these Redline numbers are the best weights for my 07 Street Bob?
    20w. 50 motor oil
    Shockproof Gear oil (V Twin)
    V-Twin primary case oil 75 w 140 NS

Various websites seem to point to a different weight for the primary case oil.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  13. FLHTbiker

Hellboy those are the correct weight of oil to use.

I sure am glad I live in the west, no tolls just endless hours of free riding. There is a bridge that crosses the Columbia River and the last time I think it was .25 cents. Most bikers don't like crossing there as the Columbia gorge winds can be very strong let alone the steel grating spooks even the best. :)
  14. possum

possum New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm giong to order the amsoil and do a complete fluid change. Looking at the weather forecast for love country, it doesn't look like i will be doing much riding for the next week or so anyway. Just heard a bike go by on the interstate (64), im jealous.
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

let us know how it turns out Possum
  16. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

Cardboard; Dont know about going back & forth over and over again. Wouldn't think that would be good.
    ON my 07 I broke in on dino, then switched to syn3 in all 3 from 1-10 k then my dealership said MOCO is recommending staying with syn3 in motor and using forumal+ in tranny and primary. So for the last 7k I have used that combo and I am pleased with the results
  17. cardboard

I'm om my 3rd motorcycle in 3 yrs. Got 23,000 on the 08 FLHT. I've used 20-50 in the motor on all of them in the motor and primary. I got a buddy that we tried the SVO 75-90 heavy duty gear oil in his transmission that was making some noise. Most dealers carry this. When he seen me changing my transmission oil to the Amsoil SVO 75-140 which is more expensive he wanted to try it.
    We stuck it in his bike and he said the noise nearly disappeared.
    I know the 75-140 is heavier than the shockproof oil.
    Transmission shifts good with it. These new bikes run good but make more noise than some of the older bikes. They don't vibrate as much oh.

I just changed my oil again and used Mobile 1 20w50 in the motor and primary and the K&N oil filter.

It doesn't matter that you have to git the very, very, very best oil that you think is made.

Its that you find where you can git a good synthetic motorcycle oil and a good oil filter and change yer oil like every 3000 miles. I like the K&N cause of its ease to put on and take off and the high micron filter. Amsoil and a lot of other filters do not have the nut on the end. And the CPS gits in the way so does the oxygen sensor. Replace one of these by gittin a filter wrench hung on it and you will see what I'm talking about.:gah:
    I change my primary about every other oil change and the transmission a little longer than that.
    The transmission oil comes out cleaner and don't have any clutchs or pad material in it either.:rant:

I've heard about the formula plus be used in the primary.
    But if'n I'm using synthetic oil, why do I want to mix it with formula plus that ain't the same kind of oil and break down the systhetic oil
    If yer using dino oil and you want to use it than use it.

Amsoil was used in some race bikes and they claimed they got as much as 10 hp just by puttin it in.

Got buddy's riding 99 model Ultra Classics and they don't even put formula plus in the primary. Non or us has had a problem.:banghead:
  18. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Sorry to be asking the same thing once again. Art NJr, one of the more experienced bike talk members had recommended Redline's 75/90NS primary oil and here the consensus has been 75W/140NS. I live in NYC. Gets hot in summer and cold in winter, but not Alaskan cold, if you know what I mean. Some stores carry the 75W/90NS but not the 140NS, that's why I'm double checking here.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  19. FLHTbiker

Hellboy, this oil thing will give you different answers and opinions from almost everyone as to what most use, for many its what is there favorite at the time. Before switching over to Redline I went out and talked to several different bike builders, read articles on it and all but one recommended Redline the other recommended Amsoil but he didn't use the 75W/140NS in the trans (he is in the Seattle area and writes articles in a rag for the Pacific Northwest). A quality synthetic gear oil is best in the trans and I chose Redline shockproof for both of my bikes 09 Ultra and 01 Heritage Springer. Both shift really smooth, no metal particles on the magnet.
    I also chose the Redline Primary oil of course for the primary, don't need the heavy gear oil for that.

What I don't get is people who use one Synthetic. motor oil and talk it up then shift to another brand of Synthetic motor oil and talk it up, why I wonder. Which ever you use stick to it but I won't use the Harley syn 3 in primary and trans. Amsoil, Mobile 1 V-twin or Redline all Synthetic oils that are designed for the V-twin in the engine will all work well I again chose Redline as its easily available here for me and from the opinions of those bike builders. I also choose to use the same brand oil for all my oil needs for all three holes.
    For those who use Dino oil well it was used for years and worked just fine for all those years, but you really need to change it often, synthetics have been proven to run cleaner and cooler however. I run my Synthetic engine oil 4-6000 miles as its cleaner, does not break down as fast as Dino oil. It does not need to be changed every 3,000 miles even Amsoil will tell you this however others will disagree but its a personal choice.
  20. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

oops, I wrote to Art Njr and he recommended the Plain 75W90 for the primary, with the "friction modifiers" ( quoting Redline's site) NOT the one with the "NS". I'm good with the gear oil and motor oil, just trying to get down to the last thing.. the primary, and I'm still a little confused. Forgive me, when it comes to this type of thing, perhaps I'm like the 140, a little "thick", ;)

I'd appreciate help in clarifying, anyone?